Homebrew Could anyone port "Osu" to the DS?

nickbaker50

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow your pretty serious. I think this is gonna happen. Anybody know how long the ipod version was in development and whether or not that developer is still active?

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 supporter

last time this idea was brought up people thought he wanted a ds port of a ds game, and now it looks like an attempt is being made.
yay.gif
the ds OSU and EBA are fun but the same songs get boring after playing again and again.

Translucentbill

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
But isnt the PC version of Osu! a port of Osu! Tatakae! Quendan? Osu! from the description is a freeware clone of EBA and OTQ, so really all we need is a hack of either EBA or OTQ to import custom beatmaps, if possible of course, or either game could be used to easily make a port, unless i'm not realizing the difficulty behind this. Although i do have and enjoy Osu! on both my iphone and PC
tongue.gif
so i would have to say +1 as well

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Sohakes said:
I'm serious, I think I will do it on vacation. I'm an huge ouendan fan, played every game and I'm sad that there isn't more. I'm doing it for me, on the first place XD!

It looks simple, palib have manyyyyyy functions to help on every way, like zooming the circles, changing colors, checking the touch. I don't know why nobody did this yet. It's impossible to put some things like the videos. The slider thing isn't difficult I think. There is already a thing to check the collision of the stylus with a sprite, so the rolling ball isn't the problem. The problem would be make an "path" for it, but it's not extremely needed, I can make a simple guide o__O.

And about the videos, why not put an animated gif on place, like on ouendan? On ouendan the background is like simple gifs animated. I can do that. There is a background that accepts simple gifs
biggrin.gif
!

There are some things I need to think to resolve, like the time (calculated on ms on .osu and on ds it's calculated... well 16,6666 ms every frame o___o! BUT I WILL OVERCOME THIS!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 OMG)

And the Osu! staff are more than willing to help the port. Seriously, I asked one guy and he answered me (saying that this is a thoug thing to program o__O), saying me to search for help on Irc (about the osu files, that i couldn't understand perfectly), and there is a topic on the foruns saying that if you want to make a port, contact them.

But I never did a single homebrew, so there is a chance that every thing I said is worth nothing .___.
If someone want to help me, send an PM
biggrin.gif
! If someone is already doing Osu, i can help! And if someone know where to find custom osu source, I would be happy too, lol. DDR DS source works too (so I can look how they solved the time problem :wtf:)

Sorry for the poor english ._.

1. It's not that simple. A 20-30 frame animated gif at the size of the DS screen is pretty large, you just lost a lot of your RAM there.
2. DDR =/= osu!
3. peppy? I'm 100% sure you didn't contact him.
4. Crawl before you walk

Posts merged

Jesus christ guys, did you actually research the original osu! nds project?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
On all songs I tried with Osu, the notecharts were garbage.
EBA/OTO had a note charting conventions, the songs I tried on Osu followed none of them.
The notecharts were mostly "I bet you can't all 300 this lol" kind.

If people started making better charts since then, then I'd be interested.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, the new beatmaps are generally much better, with pretty standardized beat timings and a few conventions, not to mention the forum projects to map entire albums as teams.

Also: a "port" is not the same as a "clone" or "copy", which Osu! is.

And finally- I'm glad that people are interested in creating Osu! for the DS, but please only attempt it if you have some prior experience with coding. Otherwise we'll end up with a dead project and nobody wiling to revive it.

Sohakes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hahaha, ok, I will do it alone, so you ppl forget me o___O! When, and if, I have some kind of a demo, I will post here \o/! (but I will START coding on vacation .___.)

But answering...
"1. It's not that simple. A 20-30 frame animated gif at the size of the DS screen is pretty large, you just lost a lot of your RAM there."
I know, but I was think something like ouendan, the game, a simple gif, with less than 10 frames. Or nothing, just an image on the background. I said that it will be impossible to put videos ._., and I didn't tried the gif thing yet, it's the last thing I will do...

"2. DDR =/= osu!"
Hahaha, sure. I just want to see how they changed the timing from the stepmania files to the ds stepmania files. Maybe this is the reason why you need to convert the step files, so you don't need to do it on real time, consuming the poor ds processor. But I don't know, I'm just guessing >_

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Sohakes said:
Hahaha, ok, I will do it alone, so you ppl forget me o___O! When, and if, I have some kind of a demo, I will post here \o/! (but I will START coding on vacation .___.)

But answering...
"1. It's not that simple. A 20-30 frame animated gif at the size of the DS screen is pretty large, you just lost a lot of your RAM there."
I know, but I was think something like ouendan, the game, a simple gif, with less than 10 frames. Or nothing, just an image on the background. I said that it will be impossible to put videos ._., and I didn't tried the gif thing yet, it's the last thing I will do...

"2. DDR =/= osu!"
Hahaha, sure. I just want to see how they changed the timing from the stepmania files to the ds stepmania files. Maybe this is the reason why you need to convert the step files, so you don't need to do it on real time, consuming the poor ds processor. But I don't know, I'm just guessing >_

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Really, all an Osu! DS port needs is the bare basics.
Aka the ability to read any of the beatmaps in the folder and display them properly, with proper hit detection.
It does NOT need:
- Video backgrounds, a static image, while kind of lame, will suffice and save RAM and file size.
- Online score tracking support. While this is a big feature in Osu!, it's not necessary, and porting the game itself comes first, extras like that could come later, if ever.

I guarantee that if anyone asks Peppy about porting it, he'll be more than happy to let you use the code for it.

ashxu

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Rubedo said:
Really, all an Osu! DS port needs is the bare basics.
Aka the ability to read any of the beatmaps in the folder and display them properly, with proper hit detection.
It does NOT need:
- Video backgrounds, a static image, while kind of lame, will suffice and save RAM and file size.
- Online score tracking support. While this is a big feature in Osu!, it's not necessary, and porting the game itself comes first, extras like that could come later, if ever.

I guarantee that if anyone asks Peppy about porting it, he'll be more than happy to let you use the code for it.
c++ =/= arm7

jeffro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.fakegaming.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
Osu! is not coded in C++ but in C# which complicate things even further. But if you are able to translate the basic classes he uses into the code that palib requires, this might just work. Peppy is very with people trying to get this on more consoles and stuff. He gladly supported the iphone version
smile.gif

dansky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for digging the topic out but I think DS REALLY deserves an "osu!" port or clone.

First, as someone has already said, what such a game would need are basics. I do agree that the biggest obstacle is 4mb of RAM, but stop saying that 10 frames of GIF would use 20% of it -.-
Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan do exist so it's fully doable.

In my opinion the best idea is to write a "clone" of osu! which would be able to read osu! beatmaps. That's cause in fact there are too many things in real osu! that cannot be implemented (or 'not now') and these elements that remains would have to be rewritten in a very different way.
Briefly speaking, as someone has already said too: we can't just port 'osu!' and would have to recode it.

PAlib really supports us with all the functions we need, just have to use them in a proper way.

I'd do something like this because it would give me a lot of satisfaction, even though I agree it's quite hard.
That's my question: anyone, who is not a programming newbie (not nesseserly in DS dev cause I'm new to it too) would like to take a part and help?

This is the point I achieved myself. Lots of things have to be done though, at this time I only have HitPoints working ;]

Imho we really can do this so let's team up and code xD
send me a PM if you're interested.
sorry for my bad english

bye

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
No one EVER bothered doing an osu! remake for ds because, there is aleady EBA on the nds. Come on. Play some old songs ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)