corrupted micro sd

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by fosteliss, Jul 21, 2007.

Jul 21, 2007

corrupted micro sd by fosteliss at 9:05 PM (3,779 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. fosteliss
    OP

Newcomer fosteliss Member

United States
    i'm not sure if this is in the right place but yall dont have a troubleshooting area...
    my brother has an r4ds and a 2gb sandisk micro sd.
    he was playing final fantasy III and got to a certain level then he saved and turned off his ds.
    turned it back on and his save was there but wouldnt work.
    he put his micro sd into his computer and saw that there were extra scrambled named files on his sd card.
    and saw that the _system_ folder said it had 248 gb of space on it.
    clicked on it and saw that there were tons of scrambled named folders in it and another _system_ folder
    clicked on it, same folders and another _system_ folder.
    clicked on the _system_ folder same folders....did it again and again and finally got to a folder that wouldn't open.
    backed all the way out, and tried to delete the _system_ folder and got an error message "cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk".
    attempts to try and format the card fail.
    tried entering chkdsk g: /f into dos but went through the process but then finally the program just closed.
    tried formatting with a camera....turned off the camera.

first off...what did this?

is there a program that could fix his 2gb micro sd card?

note: he just got the ram expansion pack from Nintendo and was using the commercial Europe opera browser

note: he was using commercial roms

any help would be appreciated...

2. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    That's what he gets for being a pirate [​IMG]

3. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i've had my card scramble a couple of times now with my m3dss i just resided myself to doing a format and start again.
    what does this? i have no idea because we all have different files on there. bu i could manage to do the reformat on my card though.
    the only thing i can suggest though in future is to do regular backups of the .sav files.
    i remember there was a thread similar to this where someone managed to salvage some of the data from his card but you would need to do a search for that because the programme i use does virtually nothing.
    good luck with it though.

4. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    and this is helpful how exactly? [​IMG]

5. nightwalker

Member nightwalker GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    how do you guys format your microsd cards btw?

i've noticed that the size of the card goes down by a few mb after i use the window's format program :S

6. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    i just use windows. [​IMG]

7. fosteliss
    OP

United States
    yea i still can't format it....
    i'm thinking it should just be sent back to sandisk but i cant get the roms off of it...and idk what they'd do if they saw all the roms that are on there....
    what do yall think?

8. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    use DSOrganize and in the file browser, u can delewte crap, may take a while but hey.

thats if u have DSO on there...

9. fosteliss
    OP

United States
    yea...it was my brothers and he never used DSOrganize.... thats a bummer cuz that sounds like a good idea.
    i can't put it on because the microsd card wont allow me to make changes to the card.

10. georaldc

Newcomer georaldc Advanced Member

Philippines
    dsOrganize's file browser sometimes freezes on me when I have a problematic rom. Last time, I had this brain training game (brain buster something) which was working fine. But then the next day, it wouldn't load anymore and would just freeze my r4. I tried opening my roms folder with dsOrganize and it just freezes the ds. Deleting the rom with my pc fixes it though.

Back on topic, I had this problem too once. Lost all my saves damn, anyone know the reason why this happens?

11. MetaKz

Newcomer MetaKz Advanced Member

Canada
    if you can't fix it and you want to send it back... then fill up the SD card with some other information that isn't illegal [​IMG]

That's what I did.. I don't know if sandisk saw or not though. I got the company I got my SD card from to send it back for me (for 20 bucks.. stupid of me). The company called me back once, but didn't leave a message. (Thanks a lot). So I have no idea how it's doing.
    It's not like I care though, I bought a 1GB Kingston microSD card for 15 bucks.. Canadian [​IMG]
    That's like.. cheaper than getting it sent off AND I don't have to wait a few weeks.

12. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Same thing happened to me a few days back. Just backup all your games and everything else, but don't backup the corrupted files. And then reformat by doing this.

After plugging in your micro sd, Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->Administrative Tools-> Computer management->Scroll down and click on disk management->Right click on disk 1(removable) and click format.

let it format (takes a few mins) and than just drag and drop all your stuff back on to the SD card.
    Hope that helps [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I backup everything weekly.

14. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    actually i wouldn't recommend backing up anything that is currently on that card because if it's there there's a high possibility that even if it has the right file names it's corrupted.
    i tried to back up some files last week when it said that .sav files didn't exist on the ds, when they were clearly there. so i put the card into the pc and tried to copy across all the .sav's and windows deleted the one's that were corrupted along with the .sav's that were on the pc.................bang, gone. i lost my pokemon file and anno (from the pc and the corrupted card)and was not the least bit pleased.
    if you do intend on trying to back up anything from that card (should the pc try and read it) make a fresh file and put the files from the corrupted card in there so that you can see if windows tries to remove them straight away. [​IMG]

15. fosteliss
    OP

United States
    no...i still can't format it doing that either.
    i get the error message "the format did not complete successfully"

16. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Just try again, i had the same issue
    format with FAT(16) and 32/64KB clusters

i got a"format not completed" error before when i was trying to format FAT32
    formatting FAT competed succesfully

17. Shelleeson

United Kingdom
    try a quick format first before you do a normal format this way it doesn't check the files on there when you do a quick format(apparently). [​IMG]

18. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Same thing happened to me. When I put my MicroSD in my R4 and boot it up it says Error Sd/Tf. When I put it in my computer my computer can't even open it for some reason. I press on it and it says Do you want to format? I press yes and then I press Quick format and it doesn't work it says Windows couldn't complete the format. When I do it with not a Quick Format it says the same thing. Is there any other things I could format it with?

EDIT: And I can't change the Fat. I can't change it from FAT to FAT32 or anything. Doesn't let me do anything and it even says 32Mb capacity. But for real it is 2Gb.

19. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    Try format it with the panasonic formatter? [​IMG]

20. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States

Ok I tryed it and when I pressed format it said this Device is Write Protected. Any other options?