Corrupted GC Memory Card.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by wii_ownz, May 4, 2007.

May 4, 2007

Corrupted GC Memory Card. by wii_ownz at 6:59 AM (1,381 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. wii_ownz
    OP

Newcomer wii_ownz Member

Canada
    I know this is not the right place for this but it's the best considering the other forums offered here.

anyhow, one day after turning on smash bros melee on my gamecube, the memory card currently inserted (original and not tampered with, not loose either) I was told the mem card was corrupted. The prompt asked me to format it. I chose no and tried browsing for the contents on both my GC and Wii and both asked to format.

Is there any way I can render this mem card, more specifically the contents usable, I don't have a backup of it anywhere and most files on it have a lot of contents unlocked from the games (lots of play time). Can I recover the data? I have not formatted it if that is any help.

thanks for the input everyone, hope this is can be rectified.

2. wii_ownz
    OP

Newcomer wii_ownz Member

Canada
    no one has the answer to this? please help me out.

3. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    if it's corrupt i think all saves are gone
    i've had a corrupt card once before, the first time i tried to save with the snes emulator on wiikey disc

4. wii_ownz
    OP

Newcomer wii_ownz Member

Canada
    has anyone tried recovering from a corrupted mem card and was successful. even if not successful, please share your story so I can give it a go.

Also, I think it's corrupted because it says that it must be formatted in either my wii or gc and previously it did not say that and there were files visible within it.

thanks for the reply sick wario.

5. Sonic_Crash [NL]

Newcomer Sonic_Crash [NL] Member

Netherlands
    You have to format it in the gamecube memory screen.
    Your saves will be gone but it will work again.

[​IMG]

6. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Did you save a Japanese game on a USA/PAL formatted memcard? Because that can mess up memory cards [​IMG]

I think there is a way to copy files from your memory card to your PC if you have a GC with a BBA (using homebrew), because I remember a dude somehow got a hold of some of his, and converted them for use on Dolphin.
    If you want, ask on emutalk.net.

Edit: They might have used a USB memory adapter :/

7. linFox

Member linFox GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The app is called gcs (or ctr-gcs), and yes, if you have a cube, BBA and method of booting .dols, you can back up your saves (and even get a full raw dump of the card, which could be useful for the OP with the corrupt card). Theres source code too.

You can get it here if anyone wants it: http://www.linFox.info/nintendo/cube/ctr-gcs_v1.0a.zip

8. wii_ownz
    OP

Newcomer wii_ownz Member

Canada
    the problem is that I don't have any of these high tech equipment, guess the stuff that was on it is history.

thanks for the great tips everyone, at least now I know where I'm standing. thanks again.