Hacking Corrupt save?

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been happily playing through DQ IV for the past few months without any problem whatsoever. I've got relatively far in the game I think, when all of a sudden, my save file is no longer present in the load menu. What could be the cause of this? If its corrupt, is there a way to fix it so I get my data back?

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you using the latest release? If so, there is a problem with ROM name length, so if it is name something short like DQIV.nds, there will be trouble. Rename both the sav and the ROM to its full name.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MarkDarkness said:
Are you using the latest release? If so, there is a problem with ROM name length, so if it is name something short like DQIV.nds, there will be trouble. Rename both the sav and the ROM to its full name.

I'm pretty sure its the latest release, I got this some time ago, I'm not sure if there was a re-release of it or not. I looked through what files are there and I have two files that look like this;

Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds
Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav

Those are the ones that I'm assuming is being used whenever I play, and thats what I named the game when I first started playing it. There is also this file which I don't remember adding;

DRAGO~01.SAV

I don't know if its for DQ IV or DQ V, however I haven't started DQ V at all.

I have tried deleting the third file mentioned above but my save still doesn't show up in the game.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Leonidas said:
Try naming your proper save file to DRAGO~01.SAV.

I'm not trying to discredit your advice, but how would that work? I have my Acekard setup to use .nds.sav files as saves, .sav wasn't working when I first tried it.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hate2.gif
This thing is taking me to another level of frustration...

I'm trying to format the micro SD card, and no matter where the 'lock' switch is, my computer claims it is continuously locked. I'm guessing it must be the adapter I'm using to read the card, or the reader itself now... Can anyone throw some additional advice for this situation along with my current issue above?

By the way, before the SD card began acting stupid, I tried the DRAGO~01.SAV on its own without the .nds.sav file, but still nothing. I even changed the setting back to .sav files, still nothing.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is all I can think of for SAV troubles.

- Make sure the name is exactly the same.
- Make sure the save slot is set to "Default"
- Make sure the extension matches the setting in the "System Settings"
- If your extension is *.SAV, try *.sav and vice versa.

As for your SD reader, this happens when I try to put my MicroSD into an SD Adapter and place it into my computer's built in SD reader. Buy a USB MicroSD reader, they're much more reliable.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
This is all I can think of for SAV troubles.

- Make sure the name is exactly the same.
- Make sure the save slot is set to "Default"
- Make sure the extension matches the setting in the "System Settings"
- If your extension is *.SAV, try *.sav and vice versa.

As for your SD reader, this happens when I try to put my MicroSD into an SD Adapter and place it into my computer's built in SD reader. Buy a USB MicroSD reader, they're much more reliable.

I formatted everything once I got the stupid card reader doing as it should of been. However, I put in my old save, I back up data every few weeks, the save I want I was lucky enough to back up last night, but I forgot to put it in. I booted the game up and my old save was working fine, now as I want to replace it with my proper save, the reader locks every time I put it in. I'll be getting a USB MicroSD for sure, I'm using an adapter right now and its being a pain.

Is there anyway to unlock the card on the computer if its locked on the hardware? I think I found the problem, a small piece inside the reader rubs against the lock switch and its locking it every time I put it in.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I jammed some tape against the small plastic switch which would slip to 'lock' every time I put the adapter into the reader, I fixed the issue of the card being locked every time. Now, I put back in the save I wanted and replaced my old one, I went through Hakoda's list, and ensured everything was correct, still no files appear in the game. By the way, this is only happening with DQ IV, every other game loads up fine.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sphinx.djc said:
Alright, I jammed some tape against the small plastic switch which would slip to 'lock' every time I put the adapter into the reader, I fixed the issue of the card being locked every time. Now, I put back in the save I wanted and replaced my old one, I went through Hakoda's list, and ensured everything was correct, still no files appear in the game. By the way, this is only happening with DQ IV, every other game loads up fine.
Think you can grab me a screenshot of the folder containing the saves? I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything that's weird.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
sphinx.djc said:
Think you can grab me a screenshot of the folder containing the saves? I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything that's weird.

Sure, here you are. Just on a side note, I removed the file DRAGO~01.SAV as it wasn't working with it, or with it.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sphinx.djc said:
Hakoda said:
sphinx.djc said:

Sure, here you are. Just on a side note, I removed the file DRAGO~01.SAV as it wasn't working with it, or with it.

This is a head-scratcher. Go into the "System Settings" by hitting START --> System Setting then hit L twice. The last setting in that dialog box will read "Save Ext." Make sure that's set to ".nds.sav". Also tap Y on the ROM twice and make sure the "Save Slot" is set to "Default*" (with the asterisk, this indicates that it detects a save).

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
sphinx.djc said:
Hakoda said:
sphinx.djc said:

This is a head-scratcher. Go into the "System Settings" by hitting START --> System Setting then hit L twice. The last setting in that dialog box will read "Save Ext." Make sure that's set to ".nds.sav". Also tap Y on the ROM twice and make sure the "Save Slot" is set to "Default*" (with the asterisk, this indicates that it detects a save).

Tell me about it... thanks for your help by the way.

I've done what you said, still nothing. This really sucks, it was my first time every playing a DQ game and I really enjoyed it. I was over 15 hours in, my old save is around 10 hours. If I have to start over, I'm going to be very tempted to put cheats in because I really don't feel like putting in that time in again.

I'm not too familiar with the technicality of ROMS, but should I try perhaps the opposite of what your telling me? Even though I wouldn't know what the opposite is, but perhaps the solution is that which we think won't work?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sphinx.djc said:

I've done what you said, still nothing. This really sucks, it was my first time every playing a DQ game and I really enjoyed it. I was over 15 hours in, my old save is around 10 hours. If I have to start over, I'm going to be very tempted to put cheats in because I really don't feel like putting in that time in again.

I'm not too familiar with the technicality of ROMS, but should I try perhaps the opposite of what your telling me? Even though I wouldn't know what the opposite is, but perhaps the solution is that which we think won't work?
Love how you're thinking outside the box. But we've tried everything to my knowledge (unless I missed something again...). The only thing I can think of now is to backup your files, reformat with the Panasonic Formatter and copy them back on and try again. Upload your save to a file sharing site and lemme try it out.

You could also try this. Rename your current save to *.sav. Open your System Options and set to view "NDS+SAV". Find your save and tap Y then tap "Save Ext." It will ask you if you'd like to convert the file, tap yes,go back to the System Option and toggle back to view "NDS" only, and try again. (This will convert *.sav to *.nds.sav and vice versa. Doesn't do much, but worth a shot. That way we can really say that we've tried everything.)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You really shouldn't have deleted DRAGO~01.SAV. That could be your actual uncorrupted or previous save and it's "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" which is corrupt.

You did try renaming DRAGO~01.SAV to "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" didn't you?

Because DRAGO~01.SAV existed it means you had a file system error.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
sphinx.djc said:

Love how you're thinking outside the box. But we've tried everything to my knowledge (unless I missed something again...). The only thing I can think of now is to backup your files, reformat with the Panasonic Formatter and copy them back on and try again. Upload your save to a file sharing site and lemme try it out.

You could also try this. Rename your current save to *.sav. Open your System Options and set to view "NDS+SAV". Find your save and tap Y then tap "Save Ext." It will ask you if you'd like to convert the file, tap yes,go back to the System Option and toggle back to view "NDS" only, and try again. (This will convert *.sav to *.nds.sav and vice versa. Doesn't do much, but worth a shot. That way we can really say that we've tried everything.)

I tried formatting about 5 posts ago
wink.gif
Nothing happened. Could you give me a site as to where I could upload the save?

As for your other suggestion, I was just messing about trying to figure this out and that still didn't work.

The only thing that comes to mind (from what limited knowledge I have on ROMS...) is something to do with the loader? I'm using AKAIO 1.5.1, weird thing is when I was looking up around options and under Help in on the flashcart is says I'm still under 1.5. I tried another game, saved in it, ad reloaded to see if anything would happen, but it worked fine.

I tell ya though, its that DRAGO~01.SAV file thats bothering me. I don't recall seeing it before ever, I didn't find it in my backup folder either that I keep on my PC, I don't understand how it was just added to the game.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tk_saturn said:
You really shouldn't have deleted DRAGO~01.SAV. That could be your actual uncorrupted or previous save and it's "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" which is corrupt.

You did try renaming DRAGO~01.SAV to "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" didn't you?

Because DRAGO~01.SAV existed it means you had a file system error.

Whoa... didn't see this reply...

Alright, I'll do just as you suggested right now. I didn't delete the DRAGO~01.SAV file, I set it aside just in case.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just tried what you mentioned tk_saturn, however DRAGO~01.SAV was 0kb as opposed to being 512 like the original save was. It didn't work, still no save files showing.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try this: move DRAGO~01.SAV into another directory, and also copy a backup of "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav"

Goto your "My Computer" hold down shift and right click on your MicroSD card, select "Command window here"

Type the following into the black box:

Code:
ren "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" DRAGO~01.SAV [press enter]
echo xxx>Dragonquest.sav [press enter]
ren DRAGO~01.SAV "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" [press enter]
del Dragonquest.sav [press enter]
copy /b "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.sav" [press enter]

If that doesn't work you'll have to post your save file and see if anyone else can get it to work.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tk_saturn said:
Try this: move DRAGO~01.SAV into another directory, and also copy a backup of "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav"

Goto your "My Computer" hold down shift and right click on your MicroSD card, select "Command window here"

Type the following into the black box:

Code:
ren "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" DRAGO~01.SAV [press enter]
echo xxx>Dragonquest.sav [press enter]
ren DRAGO~01.SAV "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" [press enter]
del Dragonquest.sav [press enter]
copy /b "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.nds.sav" "Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen.sav" [press enter]

If that doesn't work you'll have to post your save file and see if anyone else can get it to work.

I followed your instructions but still nothing. Then again, I may of had done something wrong. You said move the DRAGO file to another directory, I created a separate folder on the SD card and put it there, then I followed through with the code. Is that correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou