Hacking correct way of updating cheat database?

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read the wiki and as far as I can tell, all it's saying is drop the cheat database in the correct folder and select that database on the DS and rebuild, right? Here's what happens to me:

1. I first put in the new one and removed the old one. I cannot choose the new database as AKAIO cannot see it.

2. I put in the old one back. That one can be seen but the new one cannot.

3. I remove the old one and renamed the new one exactly the same as the old one. AKAIO sees it and shows it but with "~1" appended to the filename (not the extensions). I rebuild it and it seems to work. I turn DS off and look at the changelog to see what new games have cheats.

4. When I turn DSi back on, none of the games on the changelog have cheats. I turn it back off.

5. I write this post and before I submit, I check again. The database cannot be detected again. =<

I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm sorry if it's obvious. I know people here hate repeating themselves over and over when a newbie posts something that should be obvious or which is already in the wiki. I read and reread the wiki. I seriously have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Enter_Shikari

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe the cheat db is too big, and akaio doesn't recognise it. OR, there is something wrong with your sd card? try using "Yasu's R4CCE" and load the new cheat db from there, maybe the one you downloaded could be corrupted.these are just assumptions, as i don't have an akaio flashcart. but maybe you could try the underlined solutions.
hope i helped!

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
i don't think size is an issue
my DB is almost 10MB + 4500 games

anyway, this is how you should do
- download a new copy of DB from cheats.gbatemp.net

- drag and drop the new usrcheat.dat to replace the old usrcheat.dat (__aio/cheats)

- after replacing the old usrcheat.dat make sure you SELECT DB and REBUILT on whatever games that you are intending to cheat with!

- lastly, make sure you save before you quit the cheat menu

site note:-

- if your game is patched! The Game ID could be different! that could be a reason why you don't see cheats! hence use r4cce as suggested to change the ID yourself

- make sure you ENABLE the cheats from SYSTEM option

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Enter_Shikari said:
maybe the cheat db is too big, and akaio doesn't recognise it. OR, there is something wrong with your sd card? try using "Yasu's R4CCE" and load the new cheat db from there, maybe the one you downloaded could be corrupted.these are just assumptions, as i don't have an akaio flashcart. but maybe you could try the underlined solutions.
hope i helped!
Hi. Thanks for replying.

There is a filesize limit? I got the zipped DB from the cheats page. I assumed that was just drag and drop.

I'm in the process of reformatting my SD and moving all the content back. I downloaded the DB again and I have the same filesize as the one on the site and both downloads are the same size also.

QUOTE(elixirdream @ Dec 10 2009, 06:20 PM) i don't think size is an issue
my DB is almost 10MB + 4500 games

anyway, this is how you should do
- download a new copy of DB from cheats.gbatemp.net

- drag and drop the new usrcheat.dat to replace the old usrcheat.dat (__aio/cheats)

- after replacing the old usrcheat.dat make sure you SELECT DB and REBUILT on whatever games that you are intending to cheat with!

- lastly, make sure you save before you quit the cheat menu

site note:-

- if your game is patched! The Game ID could be different! that could be a reason why you don't see cheats! hence use r4cce as suggested to change the ID yourself

- make sure you ENABLE the cheats from SYSTEM option
Hi. I rebuilt it on a game that already had an existing CC. I'll do that after my reformat and post here what happens. Thanks lots.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
whenever you had edited your database
you need to rebuilt it (per game basis) for the new codes/fixes to show up
smile.gif

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I can't rebuild it since the DB cannot be found.
frown.gif
Going to retry using a fresh AKAIO install.

Edit: On a newly downloaded copy of AKAIO, the new 12-08 DB cannot be found. The old one can but now it has "~2" appended on the filename.

So yeah, donno what's up with this. I'd like to mention I'm on OSX. Are there any known problems with OSX? I don't think there should though as it's just essentially copying files into the SD and the games and the older cheat DB are all working. The SD card is a 4GB SDHC formatted for FAT. *stumped*

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
elixirdream said:
Keyk,
why not delete the old DB
when you say DB not found? you mean you can't even find the DB while choosing which DB to use?
I tried with both the DBs in the cheat folder and individually. And that is correct, I cannot choose the new DB as it cannot be found; cannot be chosen. Whereas the old one can.

QUOTE(clonesniper666 @ Dec 10 2009, 09:50 PM) Simple question did you unzip the folder first, or drag the zipped folder on to your acekard? The way I read it it seems you did not unzip the folder, but that is why I asked.
Yep, extracted the DB from the archive first. From the cheats page I got the new USRCHEAT.DAT.zip file. It's 1.7MB and the extracted USRCHEAT.DAT is 6.1MB. Donno how big it should be extracted but I have no reason to believe it is corrupt as the archive is the same filesize and it extracted without error.

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting the contents of the CC folder in the cheats folder on your micro sd card adn then copy your DB over again and see it that might work this way you do not need to rebuild the codes for the games, they are already gone. I do this everytime I get a new DB to use so it moght help you as well, not sure though.

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
clonesniper666 said:
Try deleting the contents of the CC folder in the cheats folder on your micro sd card adn then copy your DB over again and see it that might work this way you do not need to rebuild the codes for the games, they are already gone. I do this everytime I get a new DB to use so it moght help you as well, not sure though.

Hi. No dice. I'm getting a new USB microSD reader and going to try to do this on a Windows machine. That's the only thing that I can think of that's different from how you guys do it. Will post again how that goes. Thanks lots to everyone.

Keyk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would've edited my last post but I wanted to bump this.

Am on a Windows machine now and reformatted using the Panasonic reformatter and downloaded everything again; AKAIO 1.5, 12-08 loaders and cheat DB. Am in the process of reformatting now and I'm quite confident it will turn out fine.

When I looked at my SD card, the new 12-08 cheat DB I downloaded appeared as a folder. :wtf: It showed as a file on OSX. Inside this folder is the actual USRCHEAT.DAT along with the accompanying text files and links to GBAtemp and the cheats page.

So clonesniper, you actually hit it on the head, so to speak. Thanks lots for everyone, and sorry elixirdream. I can see your on the CC crew and this probably made you scratch your head. At least we know now that this is an issue with the OS itself.

Again, thanks lots everone.
smile.gif

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Keyk said:
I would've edited my last post but I wanted to bump this.

Am on a Windows machine now and reformatted using the Panasonic reformatter and downloaded everything again; AKAIO 1.5, 12-08 loaders and cheat DB. Am in the process of reformatting now and I'm quite confident it will turn out fine.

When I looked at my SD card, the new 12-08 cheat DB I downloaded appeared as a folder. :wtf: It showed as a file on OSX. Inside this folder is the actual USRCHEAT.DAT along with the accompanying text files and links to GBAtemp and the cheats page.

So clonesniper, you actually hit it on the head, so to speak. Thanks lots for everyone, and sorry elixirdream. I can see your on the CC crew and this probably made you scratch your head. At least we know now that this is an issue with the OS itself.

Again, thanks lots everone.
smile.gif

hahahahaa
its ok and you do not need to appologise
i learnt something new from you
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool