Hacking Correct me if im wrong about rednand and usb loading

Soccerdies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been reading around and if im reading correctly i should be able to create a rednand with my 128gb sd card for my 32gb wii u no problem, i have over 350gb worth of games on my HDD loaded via brazilian method but i will have to reload all of them for rednand (which isnt a problem because i saved all of them on another hdd) but what about the saves, are they transferable if i use the same nintendo id, or should i do something with saviine, all my saves are on usb. I also read (i think) that you can install virtual console games, dlc, and play online with rednand so its just better than brazilian method on sysnand. Is all of this true before i spend hours reloading games?

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are saying format your SysNAND, others are saying DON'T format SysNAND...I didn't format SysNAND and all my games are still on redNAND....Plus I can use DLC with redNAND....I didn't have my hard drive connected when I dumped my NAND...and once redNAND was loaded up, I just plugged my USB drive back in and all my games and saves were there....

Soccerdies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are saying format your SysNAND, others are saying DON'T format SysNAND...I didn't format SysNAND and all my games are still on redNAND....Plus I can use DLC with redNAND....I didn't have my hard drive connected when I dumped my NAND...and once redNAND was loaded up, I just plugged my USB drive back in and all my games and saves were there....
So dont have it plugged in, everything will still be on the usb, do games work online?

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't format your sysnand and big N release an update you ll be fucked up !

Formating the sysnand require an internet connexion, so once 5.5.2 or later will be released, if you need to format the sysnand you will be forced to update.

Format it now !!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So dont have it plugged in, everything will still be on the usb, do games work online?

nope the USB drive is not linked to the NANDS but to the SEEPROM.

So if you format the sysnand, even with the disc unplugged, it will be disassociated from both sys and red nands.

Reactions: MattKimura

Kliffcom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you don't format your sysnand and big N release an update you ll be fucked up !

Formating the sysnand require an internet connexion, so once 5.5.2 or later will be released, if you need to format the sysnand you will be forced to update.

Format it now !!!

I think you can format a wii u without a internet connection. It would be impossible for user without a internet connection to format their wii u ?

Kliffcom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That is really sad to hear but i guess if you have already a working rednand it won't change anything if you format sysnand

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
That is really sad to hear but i guess if you have already a working rednand it won't change anything if you format sysnand

If it s like the 3ds you may need them unlinked.
Downgrades, otp etc...

It' s best to do it while you can if you want to profit futures discoveries from the scene :)

After all it's not part of the tutorial for Nothing.

Last edited by tomazzzi,

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is so much debate over formatting SysNAND and NOT formatting SysNAND....I chose not to for the time being.....as of right now, its working fine....I can use my USB games on SysNAND and redNAND...I didn't have to reinstall them....it just seems that we need a clear answer on formatting and not formatting....

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Format it now !!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nope the USB drive is not linked to the NANDS but to the SEEPROM.

So if you format the sysnand, even with the disc unplugged, it will be disassociated from both sys and red nands.
Even if he formats now, how do you know he won't need to format sysNAND later anyway? Whether he formats now or not probably doesn't matter.
And requiring an internet connection != requiring an update. The 3DS proved that.

Scoop111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm actually quite certain, that I formatted sysNAND a few months ago without having the WiiU connected to the internet. Also the link above shows a picture of System Software 1.0.0 Think Nintendo changed it in later versions...

About unlinking the NANDs. I remember this on the 3DS. The problem was that sysNAND and redNAND were sharing the same System-Directories (on SD-Card?), cause one was the copy of the other. Formating sysNAND created new directories for the sysNAND. I don't know if it's the same for the Wii U. But even if, wouldn't it be possible to patch redNAND instead, so that the unlinking takes place there?
I know, just formating sysNAND is probably the quicker solution, but in the long run it might be the better approach. Especially because of the USB-Drives becoming inaccessible...

Last edited by Scoop111,

buda81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually quite certain, that I formatted sysNAND a few months ago without having the WiiU connected to the internet. Also the link above shows a picture of System Software 1.0.0 Think Nintendo changed it in later versions...

About unlinking the NANDs. I remember this on the 3DS. The problem was that sysNAND and redNAND were sharing the same System-Directories (on SD-Card?), cause one was the copy of the other. Formating sysNAND created new directories for the sysNAND. I don't know if it's the same for the Wii U. But even if, wouldn't it be possible to patch redNAND instead, so that the unlinking takes place there?
I know, just formating sysNAND is probably the quicker solution, but in the long run it might be the better approach. Especially because of the USB-Drives becoming inaccessible...

I agree, I've never formatted my sysnand on the 3DS. I've always did a few formats on the emunand instead to unlink the accounts. I would much rather format the rednand to do the separation.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Should be easy enough to test. Change something in system settings in RedNAND then reboot and check if the same change applied to settings in sysNAND. Then someone who's formatted their sysNAND can try the same.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should be easy enough to test. Change something in system settings in RedNAND then reboot and check if the same change applied to settings in sysNAND. Then someone who's formatted their sysNAND can try the same.
On the 3DS after the nands are unlinked, installing something on sysnand doesn't make it appear in emunand. But on the Wii U, even after formatting sysnand any new titles installed internally will also appear in rednand as [?]. Surely they can't really be unlinked if that happens?

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Even if he formats now, how do you know he won't need to format sysNAND later anyway? Whether he formats now or not probably doesn't matter.
And requiring an internet connection != requiring an update. The 3DS proved that.

Your right we don't know but i think it s better to follow the instructions given properly :)

even after formatting sysnand any new titles installed internally will also appear in rednand as

really even internally installed titles ?

Surely they can't really be unlinked if that happens?

definitly to me.

Maybe those infos are in the SEEPROM ?

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ive been reading around and if im reading correctly i should be able to create a rednand with my 128gb sd card for my 32gb wii u no problem, i have over 350gb worth of games on my HDD loaded via brazilian method but i will have to reload all of them for rednand (which isnt a problem because i saved all of them on another hdd) but what about the saves, are they transferable if i use the same nintendo id, or should i do something with saviine, all my saves are on usb. I also read (i think) that you can install virtual console games, dlc, and play online with rednand so its just better than brazilian method on sysnand. Is all of this true before i spend hours reloading games?

Don't forget to vote, some people haven't your luck ;) (yeah, this isn't the subject but...)

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
On the 3ds, there was eventually a tool called tiny format that allowed unlinking and resetting sysnand (or emunand) without going through the format process.... Hopefully with time this will come to Wii u too.

Also, on 3ds it was possible to update emunand and not sysnand even if they were linked, although the process was more involved

D

Deleted User

Just so that everyone knows:
  • When you create your redNAND, all the stuff that was previously on your sysNAND and USB drive will be available on the redNAND as well, because the certificates and title keys will be copied from your sysNAND to your redNAND.
  • After creating your redNAND, installing something to sysNAND will not be accessible from redNAND, and something installed to redNAND will not be accessible from sysNAND, obviously.
  • After creating your redNAND, installing something to a USB drive via sysNAND will allow the installed title to work on sysNAND, but it will show up as a corrupted title on redNAND because redNAND does not have the certificates and title keys for it (because they are put on NAND for some reason, even for USB installs). The same thing will happen if you install a game via redNAND, the sysNAND will think it is corrupted.
I'm not sure about unlinking the NANDs or even if that does anything. Let the devs progress this a little further and answers should become more clear.

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Just so that everyone knows:
  • When you create your redNAND, all the stuff that was previously on your sysNAND and USB drive will be available on the redNAND as well, because the certificates and title keys will be copied from your sysNAND to your redNAND.
  • After creating your redNAND, installing something to sysNAND will not be accessible from redNAND, and something installed to redNAND will not be accessible from sysNAND, obviously.
  • After creating your redNAND, installing something to a USB drive via sysNAND will allow the installed title to work on sysNAND, but it will show up as a corrupted title on redNAND because redNAND does not have the certificates and title keys for it (because they are put on NAND for some reason, even for USB installs). The same thing will happen if you install a game via redNAND, the sysNAND will think it is corrupted.
I'm not sure about unlinking the NANDs or even if that does anything. Let the devs progress this a little further and answers should become more clear.

Just to let you know :

I did format my sysnand after the dump.
Each game i reinstall on my usb disk works on both sysnand and rednand.

Last edited by tomazzzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [uploads 💶] :D For I am a kind God :evil: +1