Copying SS poke to W with Pokegen, names/OT doesn't carry over

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by blazingwolf, Mar 11, 2011.

1. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used PokeSav and PokeGen to carry over pokemon from my SS file to my White file, everything worked fine, but the name changed to ?????? and the OT is blank, aswell as the location, though I chose Poketransfer...or there some sort of button I have to hit to save that before saving my file?

2. Frankenstein Tan

Member Frankenstein Tan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Use PokeGen and when you transfer them, after you're done changing whatever u need to change, right-click on that pokemon and click set. Then you can save and everything should be correct.

3. blazingwolf
    OP

United States
    Gotcha, two questions.

1. When I transfer pokemon from White from SS using Poketransfer, is that Pokemon classified as traded? I mean should I be altering the data so the pokemon looks traded. I had the OT name be Edgar, because it was that in both White and SS, does the game think that was Edgar from SS or Edgar from white, which one should it think?

2. I edited my smeargles name to be smeargle and it worked but there was a ? at the end, what do I have to do to remove that ? mark?

4. amarok575

Newcomer amarok575 Newbie

United States
    i had this trouble too. look for a program called pokeshift, it changes the .pkm file so that it looks like the pokemon was brought to white using the poketransfer. thats what worked for me

5. Frankenstein Tan

Member Frankenstein Tan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Answer to your first question is that the game doesn't go by your name but your trainer id #, so it will be considered traded if you use your trainer id from SS on White for that pokemon.

Answer to your second question is that in order to remove the question mark make sure you highlight absolutely everything in the text field and then rewrite the name in the text field from scratch. Also don't forget to right-click the pokemon and then hit set.

EDIT: Also you may want to put the Location met as Poke Shift Machine not Poketransfer. I believe Poketransfer is only for the event pokemon (Celebi, shiny Entei, Suicune, and Raikou).

6. blazingwolf
    OP

United States
    I tried pokeshifter and everything worked but the location is still a blank, is this normal, should the location be something else?