Hacking Copying Installed .CIA Game Folders from one system to another?

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an OG Nintendo 3DS with the latest Luma CFW installed on the current 11.6 version. I used OCS on 11.3 to install CFW and then system updated. I installed some backup .CIA files for a few of my games to play some Smash mods and Pokémon randomizers using FBI and everything works great. I have a New Nintendo 2DS XL arriving next week and I assume 11.4-11.5 will be on it. I also have an NTR-bootable R4i Gold Plus flashcard arriving next month.

My question is, once I have successfully installed Luma CFW on the New Nintendo 2DS XL, is there a way I can skip having to reinstall the full .CIA files for my games on the 2DS XL and instead copy and past things from the SD card in my OG 3DS? I assume I will have to install the game titles still or something like that, but for the meat of the games, as Smash and Pokémon take some time to reinstall, can't I copy the games larger files manually?

Thanks in advance!

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have an OG Nintendo 3DS with the latest Luma CFW installed on the current 11.6 version. I used OCS on 11.3 to install CFW and then system updated. I installed some backup .CIA files for a few of my games to play some Smash mods and Pokémon randomizers using FBI and everything works great. I have a New Nintendo 2DS XL arriving next week and I assume 11.4-11.5 will be on it. I also have an NTR-bootable R4i Gold Plus flashcard arriving next month.

My question is, once I have successfully installed Luma CFW on the New Nintendo 2DS XL, is there a way I can skip having to reinstall the full .CIA files for my games on the 2DS XL and instead copy and past things from the SD card in my OG 3DS? I assume I will have to install the game titles still or something like that, but for the meat of the games, as Smash and Pokémon take some time to reinstall, can't I copy the games larger files manually?

Thanks in advance!
When something is installed on a 3DS, it's encrypted with that system's key, so no, you have to reinstall everything (or redownload from FreeShop).

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you perform a system transfer, and backup your "tickets.db" with Godmode9 beforehand then all your eShop/freeshop installs will still be there once you restore the tickets. You won't have to reinstall anything except for homebrews like save managers, or custom VC injects.

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you perform a system transfer, and backup your "tickets.db" with Godmode9 beforehand then all your eShop/freeshop installs will still be there once you restore the tickets. You won't have to reinstall anything except for homebrews like save managers, or custom VC injects.

Ah ok thanks! Question: So let's say I have both systems on 11.6 and CFW, I assume an official System Transfer will still retain the CFW on both consoles? Also, I have an 32gb MicroSD card in my O3DS that is too large to transfer to the N3DSXL. Can I strip the large folders off the SD card, back them up to my computer, and then perform the System Transfer? I've done it before where I've copied the large game folder off the SD card to make room for a .CIA install of another game (because you need 2x the space to unpack it) and then after deleting the .CIA file, was able to free up room to copy that game folder back over without issue. It's funny, because on the Home Menu, it still showed the game tile/title just minus the header/image (obviously) and didn't freak out or anything. I'm hoping I can do the same thing with a System Transfer to help with the lack of space? Thanks in advance. :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ah ok thanks! Question: So let's say I have both systems on 11.6 and CFW, I assume an official System Transfer will still retain the CFW on both consoles? Also, I have an 32gb MicroSD card in my O3DS that is too large to transfer to the N3DSXL. Can I strip the large folders off the SD card, back them up to my computer, and then perform the System Transfer? I've done it before where I've copied the large game folder off the SD card to make room for a .CIA install of another game (because you need 2x the space to unpack it) and then after deleting the .CIA file, was able to free up room to copy that game folder back over without issue. It's funny, because on the Home Menu, it still showed the game tile/title just minus the header/image (obviously) and didn't freak out or anything. I'm hoping I can do the same thing with a System Transfer to help with the lack of space? Thanks in advance. :)
CFW won't be added or removed by system transferring. During the transfer it will ask if you want to do over the air or computer based. Choose computer based and use your computer to copy the Nintendo 3DS folder (at least) to the microSD of the N3DS (only when it tells you!). If you have too many games to fit on the N3DS microSD, uninstall some before starting the system transfer.

Reactions: Hucz

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CFW won't be added or removed by system transferring. During the transfer it will ask if you want to do over the air or computer based. Choose computer based and use your computer to copy the Nintendo 3DS folder (at least) to the microSD of the N3DS (only when it tells you!). If you have too many games to fit on the N3DS microSD, uninstall some before starting the system transfer.
Thank you!! That makes perfect sense, I'm glad they offer this option! Thank you very much for your help! :D

Reactions: Quantumcat

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more thing. The microSD card in my current O3DS (16gb) is inserted with into the system via a SD card sized adapter. So does this mean I won't even have to copy/paste anything over at all to the target N3DS XL's micro SD card and just be able to take the 16gb card and simple insert it instead? Logic says yes, but just to be sure I will make a complete backup of the 16gb micro SD ahead of time. Even if all of this fails, I have the .CIA files and backups of my saves, but I wanted to save some time and also not have to buy another micro SD that was 16gb just for a System Transfer.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more thing. The microSD card in my current O3DS (16gb) is inserted with into the system via a SD card sized adapter. So does this mean I won't even have to copy/paste anything over at all to the target N3DS XL's micro SD card and just be able to take the 16gb card and simple insert it instead? Logic says yes, but just to be sure I will make a complete backup of the 16gb micro SD ahead of time. Even if all of this fails, I have the .CIA files and backups of my saves, but I wanted to save some time and also not have to buy another micro SD that was 16gb just for a System Transfer.
Yes you can just use the same SD card if it's a micro. I usually just don't assume people are using SD adapters in old consoles.

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes you can just use the same SD card if it's a micro. I usually just don't assume people are using SD adapters in old consoles.

Woohoo! Yeah I took the micro SD with adapter option into account for the N3DS XL that I wanted to buy later down the road. Glad I planned ahead and now VERY happy I don't have to re-install all the games and such and can just transfer things over. Cheers!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woohoo! Yeah I took the micro SD with adapter option into account for the N3DS XL that I wanted to buy later down the road. Glad I planned ahead and now VERY happy I don't have to re-install all the games and such and can just transfer things over. Cheers!
NP I literally just did the same exact thing with my N2DSXL. The only things you'll have to reinstall are custom apps. Even then, you can try TikDevil which will search your system for existing tickets that aren't being used and it will re-install them which does get a few HomeBrew back, depending on what it was. After that, run TikSweep to get rid of all the tickets that your system can't use in one go. Then install your CFW apps like Chekpoint, Anemone etc...

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NP I literally just did the same exact thing with my N2DSXL. The only things you'll have to reinstall are custom apps. Even then, you can try TikDevil which will search your system for existing tickets that aren't being used and it will re-install them which does get a few HomeBrew back, depending on what it was. After that, run TikSweep to get rid of all the tickets that your system can't use in one go. Then install your CFW apps like Chekpoint, Anemone etc...

Ok awesome! Did I need to backup tickets.db with Godmode9? Anything else I need to backup? Makes sense that the HB apps and VC injects would disappear, the official System Transfer wouldn't recognize let alone allow those to be copied :-P I can easily re-install the very few HB apps/themes/injects/etc that won't transfer over. Thanks again!

Reactions: Majickhat55

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok awesome! Did I need to backup tickets.db with Godmode9? Anything else I need to backup? Makes sense that the HB apps and VC injects would disappear, the official System Transfer wouldn't recognize let alone allow those to be copied :-P I can easily re-install the very few HB apps/themes/injects/etc that won't transfer over. Thanks again!
No problem and yeah, you can use Godmode to backup the ticket.db or Decrypt9. Please use the same program you backed up the tickets with to restore them, otherwise you'll get a nice blackscreen.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
there is a way to copy the game files without installation, but it require copying another system file, i won'r recommend it because it may cause problems.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a fair warning, if you import the ticket.db file from your o3DS to the n2DS XL, while it will allow you to access the games you had and even the Homebrew you had you’ll lose access to some System apps like Health & Safety and some others because the system tickets differ between the old and new systems.

To fix this just use GodMode9 to export all the system tickets on your n2DS XL before you import your old ticket.db and then re-import them again.

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No problem and yeah, you can use Godmode to backup the ticket.db or Decrypt9. Please use the same program you backed up the tickets with to restore them, otherwise you'll get a nice blackscreen.

That makes sense, thanks for the tip!

Just a fair warning, if you import the ticket.db file from your o3DS to the n2DS XL, while it will allow you to access the games you had and even the Homebrew you had you’ll lose access to some System apps like Health & Safety and some others because the system tickets differ between the old and new systems.

To fix this just use GodMode9 to export all the system tickets on your n2DS XL before you import your old ticket.db and then re-import them again.

That's brilliant! It won't overwrite the previous tickets and remove them? The two can exist side by side? I assume when you import tickets.db it stores it somewhere in the system files/NAND and therefore the two can co-exist? Thanks.

Hucz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone know how I can restore my old tickets on my new 2DS XL? I have the old decTitleKeys.bin and encTitleKeys.bin files from the old3ds and also the new. Is that part of this tickets.db part? Because thats the only backup I did of the o3ds' tickets. I have the actual tickets.db file from my o3ds. I must be missing something. Just trying to figure out how to restore the tickets onto my new 2ds xl thanks.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone know how I can restore my old tickets on my new 2DS XL? I have the old decTitleKeys.bin and encTitleKeys.bin files from the old3ds and also the new. Is that part of this tickets.db part? Because thats the only backup I did of the o3ds' tickets. I have the actual tickets.db file from my o3ds. I must be missing something. Just trying to figure out how to restore the tickets onto my new 2ds xl thanks.
Try running tikDevil

Reactions: Hucz

Negatronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 questions good sirs and madames.
Will this work if you as card is 85% full?
What roll does the computer play?
Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi