Homebrew Copying everything from one Wii to another?

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Long story short, my Wii is fucked.
The warranty expired years ago and would be void anyway, I want to just get a fresh new Wii, but I don't want to lose all my VC/Wiiware/save files, I've also almost got 10 people on my ambassador list so I'm close to getting all NES games for free.

The only option I'm aware of at the moment is to send my Wii to Nintendo and have them transfer it's brains to a fresh console, but I'm hoping there's a way I can buy another Wii myself and use some snazzy homebrew to somehow transfer all my legit purchases to the new Wii and have them still be legit.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo would just either fix your WII or give you a new one (the later happens a lot, if you read the forum whenever someone mails one out).

Depending what "f'ed" means to you, I'd suggest pulling the data off now, at least your nand and being able to read and decrypt the biatch and remove what you want to make a new nand for your console.

My two cents.

Wynd

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'll elaborate.
Ages ago I opened up my Wii to clean the lens (brawl stopped reading), that fixed the lens but now my Wii made a noise when reading discs.
Last night I decided to put an end to it, I found the problem but I couldn't get it to permanently stop making the noise, I eventually gave up and put it back together.
Now for whatever reason, the ejection mechanism is fucked. This I can't figure out, all the pieces are still there and properly connected, nothing is bent that I can see, but if I want a disc to go in I have to manually move them.

wes11ph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Afghanistan
.TakaM said:
I'll elaborate.
Ages ago I opened up my Wii to clean the lens (brawl stopped reading), that fixed the lens but now my Wii made a noise when reading discs.
Last night I decided to put an end to it, I found the problem but I couldn't get it to permanently stop making the noise, I eventually gave up and put it back together.
Now for whatever reason, the ejection mechanism is fucked. This I can't figure out, all the pieces are still there and properly connected, nothing is bent that I can see, but if I want a disc to go in I have to manually move them.

at the wii dvd drive, at the right side. there is a set of mechanism and gears there. remove the top metal plate of the drive carefully then the gears will show up to you. see if one the gear have a broken teeth.

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Nope, they're fine.

edit-
I've got my Wii reading discs (and silently too) but the ejection is still a bit fucked, and it only works when lying flat now.
I still want to get a new system, but at least I'll still have this one until I have something sorted out.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well in regards to the question in the first post, the only way i can think of to copy 1 wii to another is by using a nand backup and converting it with betwiin for the other wii. but i have managed to kill 2 different wiis and have faced the same issue that you are looking at. it is already easy to get all the files off of a wii but there is not a way i know of to get files on to the new wii.

I have the source of the preloader installer and have changed it to do a recursive write to the nand (minus some touchy files). what this means is that i will copy channels, IOS, tickets, saves and some other small files. but i will not touch the important files that could result in bricking. when i get my hands on a bootmii boot2 wii i will do some testing. but i think as long as you are copying files to a same-region, same-system menu wii it should work ok. i will not copy the settings files, so you will still need to sync the wiimotes and set up the wifi shit.

D

Deleted-171178

...Or you could buy an Infectus and use it to dump the NAND and restore it to your new Wii.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
.TakaM said:
Nope, they're fine.

edit-
I've got my Wii reading discs (and silently too) but the ejection is still a bit fucked, and it only works when lying flat now.
I still want to get a new system, but at least I'll still have this one until I have something sorted out.

i dont reccomend getting a new consol, you will most probly get a lu64 which or picky about what is will and wont read. so i would say try to fund a use one but you CAN hack the LU64 but you can only run bootmii as iso and other shit

there was my words of wisdom

~ifish

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
.TakaM said:
Nope, they're fine.

edit-

i dont reccomend getting a new consol, you will most probly get a lu64 which or picky about what is will and wont read. so i would say try to fund a use one but you CAN hack the LU64 but you can only run bootmii as iso and other shit

there was my words of wisdom

~ifish

I think he's more likely to get an LU70 with a D3-2 chipset.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, well as a followup, i did succeed in moving all channels and saves and shit from one wii to another. but not everything works exactly like it should. since miis contain some code in them that describe the MAC of the wii that created them, you can move miis, but once on the new wii, they cannot be edited. this seemed to have some effect on gamesaves that use miis (wii sports, sonic, etc). even after moving all miis and save data to the new wii, trying to play any game which uses miis in the save data acts just like you are starting over. so when granny comes to your house for easter, she will not have the score and wiifit data that she worked so hard to get around christmas.

also nintendo has to transfer the shop points to the new wii. but they do not actually scan a wii for what points are tied to it, they just look at the serial number. example...

i originally bought a wii and put 2000 wii points on it. i brick that wii.
i go to walmart, buy a wii, and just switch the part of the case that contains the serial number.
so now i take my wii back to walmart (with the 2000 point) and i keep the working wii from walmart but it still has my original serial number.
i brick this new wii and send it to nintendo to get fixed. ninety cant fix my wii, and since i was careful about everything, cannot see that i ever opened it up. so they just read the serial from the side of the wii, look in their computer and see that i have 2000 wii points. then they pick up a new wii, update it to 4.2, change some numbers in their computer around, and send me that wii.

when i get the wii, i turn it on, start the shop channel, and there are my 2000 points back (and any channels i may have bought with my original wii).

Reactions: huma_dawii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head