copy right issues and getting in trouble

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok recently my college sent out an email to everyone talking about piracy issues, now yes i downloaded some games and movies in it prior to receiving the email, i have since then deleted files that i downloaded from my school, question is, if i get a court order for copyright infringement will i still be in trouble even if i have deleted the files that they found out that i was downloading or im going to be in trouble no matter what i do if i was accused or found out that i did download a game or movie?

I also want to know can you still get in trouble with past downloading like can they go back like 3 months ago and see if my isp downloaded anything illegal?

Also do they have to catch me downloading right away or can they still get me in trouble even after the fact i have gotten the file(s)?

also another question a site that sells music from a Russian based source sells music cheap and i pay like 20$ every 2-3 months to buy songs for like $0.15 is that illegal to do because im still buying the music? They pay their licenses to sell music to the government according to the site so dont the artists still get money?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Even if you deleted it afterwards you can get in trouble for downloading it in the first place.

They have to prove you downloaded it, however if they take you to court then they already have the proof obviously.

How far back they can see depend on a lot of variables, we can't say. Most ISPs don't bother logging stuff for longer then a certain period of time. Most people are caught red-handed purposely, that is the company was already tracking them beforehand.

The most concrete way to not get in trouble for illegal shit is to not do the shit.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i download GB's worth of stuff here and im quite surprised that the IT hasn't sent me some kind of warn for using too much bandwidth or something

basically your uni, let alone the ISP, can track everything you do

this is actually quite a silly way to deal with such things, they should just websense everything; again you can get passed that but it still solves the problem.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't use torrents and they can't catch you.
I only know one person who got caught before and that was because he downloaded Transformers 2 from a torrent source. He didn't even end up paying a fine, just had to go see a counselor.
tongue.gif

Compared to me, I've been abusing my university's connection to download all sorts of things from filesharing websites, and I never got caught in my three years so far.

As for the Russian website, I have no clue if it's legal or not (tell us the name), but since you're paying you have plausible deniability.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well can i take that this email as of now is the warning mail that i am doing illegal activities?

i got this off of RIAA music copyright info

QUOTE said:
No. The notice you received from your ISP about a copyright infringement complaint from us does not mean you are being sued. It is a warning that we have detected unlawful downloading or distribution from your computer and it is meant to put you on notice that this activity should stop. If you fail to heed this warning and continue to illegally download and share copyrighted material then you do expose yourself to being sued for damages arising from copyright infringement.

the other thing is that i was downloading GB's of stuff in the first couple of weeks being at that school with the speeds at like 2mb/s its fast, but anyways i havent gotten anything else other than that email, the thing is they said they can block me from the server so if i havent been blocked yet i guess im not in trouble so far

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
squirrelman10 said:
well can i take that this email as of now is the warning mail that i am doing illegal activities?

i got this off of RIAA music copyright info

QUOTE said:
No. The notice you received from your ISP about a copyright infringement complaint from us does not mean you are being sued. It is a warning that we have detected unlawful downloading or distribution from your computer and it is meant to put you on notice that this activity should stop. If you fail to heed this warning and continue to illegally download and share copyrighted material then you do expose yourself to being sued for damages arising from copyright infringement.
That would be the warning, so if you receive it, just completely stop illegal downloads.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
I only know one person who got caught before and that was because he downloaded Transformers 2 from a torrent source. He didn't even end up paying a fine, just had to go see a counselor.
tongue.gif

Compared to me, I've been abusing my university's connection to download all sorts of things from filesharing websites, and I never got caught in my three years so far.

As for the Russian website, I have no clue if it's legal or not (tell us the name), but since you're paying you have plausible deniability.
I use so many torrents, you wouldn't beleive it, never been caught though. No warning at all.

Posts merged

QUOTE(DeMoN @ Oct 1 2010, 02:49 PM) Don't use torrents and they can't catch you.
tongue.gif

I use so many torrents, you wouldn't beleive it, never been caught though. No warning at all.

EDIT: sorry for the double post!!

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh sorry goldenmp3.ru forgot its a russian based site

the thing is today i got very scared and worked up that im going to get introuble b/c of gigabytes of games were downloaded mostly wii games that i have deleted since this email except one game, and some movies, but another thing i wonder if i should even attempt to talk to the IT guy about any of this but then i wonder if he would turn me in

mostly im worried that tomorrow when i bring my computer im going to be blocked from the server and ill get an email saying im screwed

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can still download as long as you don't use filesharing. The only way people are caught is when they are uploading like when downloading torrents or limewire etc.
Also don't worry about anything you currently have if they aren't suing you then they aren't going to. Also don't delete everything if you get caught because they use that in court against you because it shows that you think what you did was illegal.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Absolute bullshit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doe_subpoena

If you have a connection to somebody on the internet, they have your external IP (or that of the proxy you're using).

Then they send out legal notices, and your ISP and the proxies in question have a choice.

1 - Be taken out for harboring criminal activity.
2 - Give up your information.

Which one do you think they're going to do? Yes, proxies will gladly turn over any records to avoid legal trouble. All that's needed is proof of what came from them (your connection AFTER the proxy), and the proxy will show them what happened before them (your connection TO the proxy), and bam they have your IP and can then contact your ISP and get the needed records.

Not using sharing services simply gives them less of a REASON to go after you. It means you're not uploading, which means they have less of a case against you and can't levy a million dollar fine on you to make an example out of you. However it's still illegal and still EASILY trackable!

Do NOT tell people shit can't be tracked when it can!

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:
hmm well that sucks cuz there is only 2 games left that i didnt delete that i got from sites not torrenting i never have done any uploading, mostly used jdownloader to download megaupload files
Jdownloader is fine thats what I use at my university.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So basically people including you downloaded tons of copyrighted material in college and now the college sent warning emails to EVERYONE? Why would YOU be targeted for court order?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr