Hacking Converting from NTFS to FAT32 while keeping all files on the SD card?

ZeroCz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So I'm trying to transfer a cia file with a little bit over 4GB to my SD card, but the 3DS console only supports the FAT32 format, which only allows 4GB per file. Is there a way to bypass this and actually transfer the file over to my SD? The file is a game with 4,18GB.

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you will have to use guiformat to format the memory card to fat32(close all windows for some reason it wont format with any explorer windows open) then you can transfer it. i've used 256 GB ones with that and they have worked fine.

Attachments

• guiformat.zip
    31.8 KB · Views: 213

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CIA files shouldn't be 4GB large. If you are trying to put a 3DS files onto your SD card, either convert it to a CIA or download the CIA instead.
Edit: You will need to backup your SD card and format it to FAT32, there is no way to preserve the files without backing them up. There is also no way around the 4GB limit of FAT32, although I am pretty sure you might have the wrong file, to begin with.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Alexander1970

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm trying to transfer a cia file with a little bit over 4GB to my SD card, but the 3DS console only supports the FAT32 format, which only allows 4GB per file. Is there a way to bypass this and actually transfer the file over to my SD? The file is a game with 4,18GB.
Your main title answer is no. it wont happen.
Your post question is no. There is not a way to bypass a sd cards FAT32 4gb file limit. You would need to see about trimming the file somewhat or getting another copy which is somewhat smaller.

ZeroCz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well I figured i could just compress the file to a zip format and then actually transfer it, but now that I've done that I can't find any programs that would extract it. I tried ORGANI3ED, but it keeps wanting a password even though the file is not protected at all. Plus when I tried using 3dshell I found out there is no progress bar. Is there anyting I could do about that?

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still find it impossibly weird your cia-file is over 4 GB. Are you sure you have got a genuine cia-file on your hands? For example, you did not download a 3ds-file and changed the extension from .3ds to .cia?

Well I figured i could just compress the file to a zip format and then actually transfer it, but now that I've done that I can't find any programs that would extract it. I tried ORGANI3ED, but it keeps wanting a password even though the file is not protected at all. Plus when I tried using 3dshell I found out there is no progress bar. Is there anyting I could do about that?
With what app and where did you compress the cia-file? For example, was it with WinZip or WinRar on your computer? And with what app and where are you trying to uncompress the file?

Reactions: Alexander1970

ZeroCz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I still find it impossibly weird your cia-file is over 4 GB. Are you sure you have got a genuine cia-file on your hands? For example, you did not download a 3ds-file and changed the extension from .3ds to .cia?

With what app and where did you compress the cia-file? For example, was it with WinZip or WinRar on your computer? And with what app and where are you trying to uncompress the file?

The cia file is completely normal. I downloaded it from the net and compressed it to a zip file on my PC. Then I transferred that zip file into my 3DS, since the size decreased from 4,18 to abou 3,7GB. And now I'm trying to extract it. But I can't seem to find anything that would do the job. Already tried two apps(ORGANI3ED and 3DShell). None of them worked.

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The cia file is completely normal. I downloaded it from the net and compressed it to a zip file on my PC. Then I transferred that zip file into my 3DS, since the size decreased from 4,18 to abou 3,7GB. And now I'm trying to extract it. But I can't seem to find anything that would do the job. Already tried two apps(ORGANI3ED and 3DShell). None of them worked.
You say the cia-file is completely normal yet you are having immense trouble and going through elaborate hoops trying to install it. The file is literally too big for what the memory format supports. That should really be an indicator you may have found a file that has been altered in some way.

My suggestion would be to find another version of the file somewhere. This one is proving to be more trouble than you should expect.

What game is the cia? Because no official 3ds game has a cia size over 4gb.

The largest official game cia files are Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and Dragon Quest VIII at 3.6gb
Like Amanda says, no game should be too big for your Fat32 internal memory card with 32 kB clusters. Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (EU versions) should be 3,608,989 kB and 3,621,355 kB in size repsectively, if I recall correctly from the top of my head. Those are the base games without the 1.2 updates. I wouldn't know about Dragon Quest VIII but if it's either of the the Pokemon (EU) games, check against those file sizes.

ZeroCz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It
What game is the cia? Because no official 3ds game has a cia size over 4gb.

The largest official game cia files are Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon and Dragon Quest VIII at 3.6gb

It's a randomized version of Ultra Sun. I think it's called Reaper Sun.

Reactions: tosti

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there was a youtuber who distributed kind of messed up cias of this hack, did you get it from a youtube channel? wouldn't be surprised if they ended up on certain forums or collections.

it's also possible these prepatched cias only work for citra, because you can definitely not use any other format than fat32 on a 3ds and no matter what you do with the file, if it's larger than 4gb you can't put it onto fat32 in a useable format.

you might be better of installing a normal ultra sun/moon and using the respective layerd fs files from https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-nightmare-moon-and-reaper-sun-new-thread-new-leader.499525/

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: tosti

tosti

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
there was a youtuber who distributed kind of messed up cias of this hack, did you get it from a youtube channel? wouldn't be surprised if they ended up on certain forums or collections.

it's also possible these prepatched cias only work for citra, because you can definitely not use any other format than fat32 on a 3ds and no matter what you do with the file, if it's larger than 4gb you can't put it onto fat32 in a useable format.

you might be better of installing a normal ultra sun/moon and using the respective layerd fs files from https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-nightmare-moon-and-reaper-sun-new-thread-new-leader.499525/
Read this post and the couple following it--they pertain to the use of the cia-file and how it might be a non-functional one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16