ROM Hack Converting extracted .sfx files to .wav?

SavingPrincess

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, new here.

I have followed all available resources to extract a .sfx file from an NDS rom that I want to use but need it in a .wav format or something equally usable. There seem to be limited resources to straight .sfx files as they don't seem to be common in NDS roms... anyone know of a good conversion method?

frogger1056

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, new here.

I have followed all available resources to extract a .sfx file from an NDS rom that I want to use but need it in a .wav format or something equally usable. There seem to be limited resources to straight .sfx files as they don't seem to be common in NDS roms... anyone know of a good conversion method?

take the nds rom, put it into VGMTrans, export the sound as .midi and .sdl, open it as midi and use the sound library using fl studio or another capable program, and export to format of choice. I was able to convert the soundtrack of dqm joker to mp3 this way.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
take the nds rom, put it into VGMTrans, export the sound as .midi and .sdl, open it as midi and use the sound library using fl studio or another capable program, and export to format of choice. I was able to convert the soundtrack of dqm joker to mp3 this way.

DQMJ was a known format, just not SDAT.

Anyway we spoke on IRC and got somewhere but I might as well note it here as well, it seems sfx is just a slight variation on the theme of ADPCM (common enough for nonstandard audio formats on the DS).
Forced a raw import with audacity and it was around 22KHz, AUX Adpcm, stereo and I left it as big endian. Some of the other files might be different, I will have to check against desmume's sound info to see what the actual sample rates are (I have occasionally seen it say some samples are something silly like 96KHz), and then see if I can match it up against some header value.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1