Converting a Micro SD for an R4 to be used with an EDGE?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by steirina, May 13, 2009.

1. steirina
    OP

Newcomer steirina Advanced Member

Philippines
    Up til now, I've been using my Micro SD with my R4, but I've been thinking about using it with my EDGE instead. If I do that, is there anything I need to do with it?

And.. I'm not as tech-savvy as I'd love to be, so I'd appreciate if any explanation or step-by-step procedure would be somewhat simplified. ~

2. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    download EDGE's firmware and delete everything R4-related from the memory card?

if you want both firmwares in the card, I think there's a conflict. havent tried putting 2 or more firmware from my memory card.

3. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    This.... I think

I remeber replacing my DSTT firmware with iTouch firmware. And wait.... Edge and R4 have different cheat files and saves right?( Not sure about saves)

4. eSquire

Newcomer eSquire Advanced Member

Australia
    Nope, they both use the now-standard 512k save files. I think the EDGE has its own cheat file format, but that might just be a renamed cheat.dat, I'm not sure.

5. Chris_Skylock

Philippines
    Nope, EDGE HAS its own cheat file, I renamed different cheats into EDGE's but no use. I didnt looked and noticed that there's an EDGE cheat database here.

6. steirina
    OP

Philippines
    chris: May I know exactly where I can download the EDGE's firmware and what I would need to delete from my R4, though?

And I don't intend to use my memory card for both the EDGE and R4; I'm just switching permanently to the EDGE.

domination: Does that mean I'll lose my save files if I convert them, or is there some program that does that for me? I have proper files in Avalon Code, Chrono Trigger and Suikoden Tierkreis, and I wouldn't want to lose them. ><

As for the cheats, the only one I really use is the piracy work-around for CT. I had to input that myself with R4CCE, though.

And thanks for all the fast replies. ~

7. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    You might as well just backup all your games/saves to your hard drive, format the memory card, then place the EDGE firmware onto the card ( http://www.edge-ds.cn/?lang=en&page=downloads ) and copy/paste your games and saves back over.

Then get GBAtemp's cheat database for the EDGE. http://cheats.gbatemp.net/files/05_05_09_EDGEcheats.DAT.zip

Guessing the cheat database goes in the "EDGE" folder.

8. steirina
    OP

Philippines
    law: I was just thinking of doing that instead actually, especially since I wasn't certain what the R4 bits are.
    Is formatting the card truly necessary, though? I mean, wouldn't I get by with just deleting everything? Suffice to say, formatting my card didn't go so well the last time I tried it.

Thanks for the help. ~

9. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    You just need to have your saves and games back-uped, then download the rar for our latest cheat database theres a cyclo.cheats inside I think ... then delete the r4 firmware and download the EDGE firmwar from their website

10. Chris_Skylock

Philippines
    I forgot what a virgin R4 files are since I converted from YS Menu. I think all the file folders (except for games folder) and the _DS_ files are the ones that are R4. Not sure about the other R4 files.

To be safe, back up all your games and save files and delete the rest of the files and download the EDGE firmware. I really dont know what are the R4 files again since I tainted it with a custom one with even more files. sorry

11. steirina
    OP

Philippines
    So.. simply put, back-up all my games and save files to my hard drive, and delete everything on the card. Then obtain [and install] EDGE's firmware from their website and cheat database from GBATemp. And well, the EDGE skin emulator too, and configure my R4 theme for the EDGE.

If that's more or less what I have to do, I think I have a rather good idea now. Thanks to everyone for their assistance. ~

12. eSquire

Newcomer eSquire Advanced Member

Australia
    The R4's firmware consists of:
    - _system_ folder
    - moonshl folder
    - _DS_MENU.DAT
    - _DS_MSHL.NDS

13. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    _system_ (folder)