Homebrew Convert video to use in DSVideo 1.10

haddad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After I converted a 1:35min video to .dsv format using the converter that came with dsvideo. The first 4-5 sec of the video was cut off and reduced to 1:30min, so when I play the video on my dsi, it starts at like 0:05/1:35 which is really 0:00 of the shortened 1:30min video

Why is that? And also what is the best size for dsvideo to display the whole screen, cuz also after I converted my video, I am losing a bit of the screen is but off.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave up on DSvideo.

- Quick seeking times when fast forwarding rewinding (important for Junior he likes to watch bits of movies)
- Encoded videos appear to fill the screen and do not looked streteched but appear to be properly cropped.

Dislikes

- Large file size for encoded Videos
- Very inconsistent results when encoding movies Often results are blurry and framey then another film will be fine.
________________________________________________________________________________

I have now gone to Moonshell using Xilsoft DPG converter for encoding.

- Plays music as well as video.
- Smaller file size than DSvideo.

Dislikes

- Search / seek times slow on large videos.
- Tendency to lock up when trying to drag the progress bar on large videos. (Something my lad does frequently)
- Slightly more complicated interface and setup.
- Encoded videos have a tendency to stay in wide screen or cinescope which is not good on the tiny DS screen
________________________________________________________________________________

I haven’t tried Spinal's Video Player yet but I might give it a whirl. Hopefully it will give me back the ease of use with better results than DSvideo.
http://spinalcode.co.uk/ds/spinal-movie-pl...l-movie-player/
(Thanks to Spinal)

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
xD I've always used Moonshell2 with the DPGTools.

-Fast converting (with the new dpgtools included with the Child Zwai beta version)
-Clean interface
-Better video quality
-Better audio quality
-Supports various audio formats
-Smaller video size
-Can even turn off the power LED to conserve energy
-Can individually resume videos (so you can stop a video, change to another and then return back to the first video at the same place you left off at)
-Thumbnail support
-Can play videos in "audio only" (child zwai beta version)
-Can use touch screen or buttons to control
-Has never audio desynced for me (if it has, I haven't noticed it).

Dislikes
-Not really a dislike, but DiskCheck is problematic for some people.
-Some of the button shortcuts are duplicates (not really a problem though for normal use)
-Most button shortcuts require functioning L&R buttons.
-Subtitled videos must be hard-subbed (I have once heard that avisynth script is usable to add more flexibility)
-DPGTools isn't very flexible (I have once heard that avisynth script is usable to add more flexibility)

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
xD I've always used Moonshell2 with the DPGTools.

-Fast converting (with the new dpgtools included with the Child Zwai beta version)

Hey Jurassic.

I have had troubles with DPG tools. I tried to encode a couple of FLV downloads from youtube and the results were messed up. They were slanted and one corner was cut off and transposed in the opposite corner. I also encoded a flick that was in 1:2.35 aspect. I was trying to crop it to full screen but DPG tools kept the aspect the same making the results look tiny on the DS screen with 1/2" of black on the top and bottom.

I used Xilsoft and the results were better but if I try to drag the seek bar while playing Moonshell has a fit and sometimes feezes completely.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Edit: I will try that beta and see if that changes anything.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
btw.. if you want full screen... make sure you set 4:3 screen ratio...
fyi: DS screen is not a widescreen aspect ratio... its 4:3

and

xilisoft is not a good software as you know... cause their encoder still use the "old" dpg format... new Moonshell 2 utilizes DPG4 which greatly impact the performance of your encoded videos.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dnniwa485 said:
btw.. if you want full screen... make sure you set 4:3 screen ratio...
fyi: DS screen is not a widescreen aspect ratio... its 4:3

and

xilisoft is not a good software as you know... cause their encoder still use the "old" dpg format... new Moonshell 2 utilizes DPG4 which greatly impact the performance of your encoded videos.
Didn't realize there were different dpg formats. Thanks for the heads up.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
haddad said:
I dident want to use moonsheel cuz its like an entirly seperate OS then akaio >_< but if I have to use it i will.. >>>>_>>>>>
It doesn't HAVE to be an entirely separate OS...I mean, if you are just using for one thing, then there isn't anything really stopping you. It's about the same as using DSVideo or Spinal_cord's movie player...you just get a lot of options that you don't need to look at.

QUOTE(Mantis41 @ Aug 30 2010, 04:13 PM) Didn't realize there were different dpg formats. Thanks for the heads up.
Well...there are kind of like 5 different dpg formats...dpg0, dpg1, dpg2, dpg3, and dpg4...I got my flashcart around the times of dpg2 so I don't actually know much about the first two xD. Anyways the latest moonshell 1.7.1+1 (or whatever that number was) plays dpg0, dpg1, and dpg2. M3Sakura uses dpg3 (and it's broken somehow so supposedly only M3Sakura can use that format), and of course MS2 uses dpg4 and as dnniwa45 said, it greatly improves video playback (thus another reason why I feel MS2 is awesome)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free