Hacking Convert VC-rom to rom that is playable on an Emulator?

Slowking

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
1,403
Trophies
0
XP
260
Country
Germany
Hi, I already extracted the rom of the game (it's named "romc") from a wad. But now I'm at a loss.
Is there any program that will convert it, so that it play in an regular N64 emulator? I really searched a lot but I could only find how to convert roms into wads, not the other way around.

I would greatly apreciate it if you guys could help me. ^^

Edit: Oh it's an N64 rom btw.
 

BBking83

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
676
Trophies
0
Location
Australia
XP
214
Country
Ahh... Hmm.

Don't know any. I suggest to just look for the ROM. There are heaps of sites where you can get them from.

Also, even though the new and improved Wii64 emulator is good, it's still a bit slow on some games (eg. Golden eye 007).
 

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
3,263
Trophies
0
XP
303
Country
why not simply search for a N64 Rom(.v64, .n64, .z64) instead of trying to convert, which is pointless IMHO
 

Slowking

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
1,403
Trophies
0
XP
260
Country
Germany
Well I couldn't find the rom anywhere. Its maoras mask and as we all know those Zelda games are slightly different on every system they are on. I have the N64 version, the GC version, of the PAL version I have 1.0 and 1.1 but I couldn't find the VC-version anywhere.
If you can point me to a download site via PM that has is it I will gladly stop pursuing extracting it form the VC-version.

@dritz
Thanks. That brought me a step closer. Unpacked it seems to have the right size, but all the emulators and GoodN64 tell me that it's not in N64-format. Do know a way to convert it in that format?
 

Retrievil

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
360
Trophies
0
Location
Vancouver
XP
215
Country
Canada
Slowking said:
Well I couldn't find the rom anywhere. Its maoras mask and as we all know those Zelda games are slightly different on every system they are on. I have the N64 version, the GC version, of the PAL version I have 1.0 and 1.1 but I couldn't find the VC-version anywhere.
If you can point me to a download site via PM that has is it I will gladly stop pursuing extracting it form the VC-version.

@dritz
Thanks. That brought me a step closer. Unpacked it seems to have the right size, but all the emulators and GoodN64 tell me that it's not in N64-format. Do know a way to convert it in that format?

Have you tried just renaming the romc file to Majoras Mask.n64?
 

techboy

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
1,720
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Pennsylvania
Website
Visit site
XP
295
Country
United States
Try this.

Download this and unzip it. Put the romc in the folder with the tools you unzipped, then double click
decompress.bat. If it works, you'll have a rom.n64 in the same folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zmhw2e2zjxz

Note that this is the same as the romc tool linked above. I didn't make the compressor, but just added batch files to simplify it. If you wanted, you can drag a ROM onto the compress.bat to make a romc...
 

Slowking

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
1,403
Trophies
0
XP
260
Country
Germany
Like I said. romc worked fine for me. The rom has the right size (32MB) but is still in the wrong format, somehow.
 

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
3,263
Trophies
0
XP
303
Country
Slowking said:
Like I said. romc worked fine for me. The rom has the right size (32MB) but is still in the wrong format, somehow.

what format is it covnverted to?

Wii64 accepts all 64 rom types

QUOTEROM Format

* ROMs can be in any format, .V64, .Z64 or .N64
* There Full support for up to 512MBit ROMs via a ROM cache
* ROMs may be loaded via SDGecko, Front-SD / USB/ DVD
* ROMs must be placed in a directory named "/wii64/roms/" on the SDCard
* ROMs can be placed anywhere if using a DVD
 

s3phir0th115

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
728
Trophies
0
XP
803
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Well I couldn't find the rom anywhere. Its maoras mask and as we all know those Zelda games are slightly different on every system they are on. I have the N64 version, the GC version, of the PAL version I have 1.0 and 1.1 but I couldn't find the VC-version anywhere.
If you can point me to a download site via PM that has is it I will gladly stop pursuing extracting it form the VC-version.

@dritz
Thanks. That brought me a step closer. Unpacked it seems to have the right size, but all the emulators and GoodN64 tell me that it's not in N64-format. Do know a way to convert it in that format?

I believe that decompression tool doesn't work on Majora's Mask. I'm not completely sure though. I just know the romc tool wouldn't work on my USA copy of Majora's Mask when it comes to decompression. Also, cross region releases sometimes have different compression. (Super Mario RPG for instance.)

However, I will say that if you are aiming to get a VC specific rom, you are likely to be disappointed. When I made my Master Quest inject with Ocarina of Time, the rom that was in the VC wad was the same that is found on No-intro's REV B version of the rom after conversion to the format that No-intro uses. (It's a matter of byteorder, so the checksums will check out as long as the rom is in the same format, and conversion won't change that.) It also matched up with GoodN64 from what I've read online.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but Nintendo typically uses the same roms that we do. So you don't really gain anything from extracting them from wads unless you don't have the rom already.
 

Slowking

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
1,403
Trophies
0
XP
260
Country
Germany
s3phir0th115 said:
However, I will say that if you are aiming to get a VC specific rom, you are likely to be disappointed. When I made my Master Quest inject with Ocarina of Time, the rom that was in the VC wad was the same that is found on No-intro's REV B version of the rom after conversion to the format that No-intro uses. (It's a matter of byteorder, so the checksums will check out as long as the rom is in the same format, and conversion won't change that.) It also matched up with GoodN64 from what I've read online.
Sorry I so didn't understand what you meant there? What is "No-intro's REV B"?

Well the thing is with OoT we can see that GC and VC version are newer than any version on the N64. They both have changed symbols on blocks and stuff. So they have to be compiled from a later version of the source code. The VC version might even have a few additional changes to the GC-version.

Now it's not really that far fetched to believe the VC version of MM at least has the code changes of the GC-version. Maybe it even has a few more tweaks, to utilize the additional amount of RAM. It certainly lags less and has faster load times than any other version. That could just be due to the emulator, but I would like to test it for myself. That's why I would like to be able to extract the rom.

Is there really no way?
frown.gif
 

s3phir0th115

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
728
Trophies
0
XP
803
Country
United States
Slowking said:
s3phir0th115 said:
However, I will say that if you are aiming to get a VC specific rom, you are likely to be disappointed. When I made my Master Quest inject with Ocarina of Time, the rom that was in the VC wad was the same that is found on No-intro's REV B version of the rom after conversion to the format that No-intro uses. (It's a matter of byteorder, so the checksums will check out as long as the rom is in the same format, and conversion won't change that.) It also matched up with GoodN64 from what I've read online.
Sorry I so didn't understand what you meant there? What is "No-intro's REV B"?

Well the thing is with OoT we can see that GC and VC version are newer than any version on the N64. They both have changed symbols on blocks and stuff. So they have to be compiled from a later version of the source code. The VC version might even have a few additional changes to the GC-version.

Now it's not really that far fetched to believe the VC version of MM at least has the code changes of the GC-version. Maybe it even has a few more tweaks, to utilize the additional amount of RAM. It certainly lags less and has faster load times than any other version. That could just be due to the emulator, but I would like to test it for myself. That's why I would like to be able to extract the rom.

Is there really no way?
frown.gif

REV B is the same as Goodtools' 1.2.

It is possible that Majora's Mask is different, but I'm telling you that the Ocarina of Time rom matched with the goodtools 1.2 version is, and what the no-intro's REV B is.

You're right, the GC ones were altered to hide the emulation some, but I don't think any edits are usually made on VC roms, except maybe snes roms since they have the sound changed.

And emulation allows such features as it is, the likely wouldn't likely alter the rom. But if you insist on doing so, I'm not sure if there is a way to currently do so. I'm only saying that it's likely unchanged from what you have already.
 

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
3,291
Trophies
0
Location
Wisconsin
Website
twitch.tv
XP
1,846
Country
United States
I hope this is alright for me to revive; I think the new GBAtemp rule is that it's OK if it's pertinent.

Just an update: The ROM inside, though I haven't checked, could very well be the 1.2 ROM; apparently VC emulators can contain patches to apply in real-time. So if we want the changes, we just have to hex them in from the patch.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: His grandma was hot.