Hacking Convert to Standard Crypto vs Title Key Encryption - which to choose?

MirorB_Sees_All

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: I originally put this post in the wrong forum, so sorry for the duplicate posts.

tl;dr: Convert to Standard Cryption or Title Key Encryption - which is better for installing games on the Switch and preserving video games backups for future use on things like emulators?

So as I've been installing .nsp files on CFW, I've come across the choice of installing games with Standard Crypto or with Title Key Encryption.

As I understand it, Title Key Encryption (selecting "NO" for "Convert to Standard Crypto" in Tinfoil) uses tickets for decryption, whereas Convert to Standard Crypto gets rid of the tickets and instead decrypts using...some other method.

With Title Key Encryption you might run into issues of games/dlcs/update requiring a specific firmware or higher and then having to upgrade your OFW to play them, and you also have a higher ban risk with those tickets installed (unless that doesn't matter as long as you have emuNAND); however, as long as you upgrade OFW, the game should work right? And I imagine that with emulators we could just install whatever OFW we wanted with a file and meet the requirement. With Standard Crypto, you can delay upgrading your OFW if a game does require a higher OFW, which is cool, but doesn't this eventually stop working because the upgrade is forced? Also, a few people have said that converting to Standard Crypto *may* break your games if the decryption doesn't work or stops working, forcing you to uninstall and reinstall the game, whereas if you had chosen Title Key Encryption, the game would still work as long as you were on a high enough firmware. Is this true? If so, I would think that Title Key Encryption is the better option. And I wonder if all those games, dlcs, and updates converted to Standard Crypto would work in emulators?

Thoughts? I would love to hear from everyone, but I'm especially curious to hear what some of the developers, long-time hackers, and scene releasers on here have to say.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really make a difference in the long run as all content (games, updates, and DLC) have hard firmware requirements that cannot be bypassed so you will have to update your firmware eventually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1