Convert savegames from NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by codiak, Jun 2, 2010.

Jun 2, 2010
  1. codiak
    OP

Newcomer codiak Advanced Member

United States
    Is there a way to convert NTSC savegames to PAL?

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I think so, but there is no guarantee that the save will necessarily work. There is a region flag in the game save I think, and if that's the only difference, you can convert fine. But if a particular game has other differences in the saves between regions, it won't work.

For example, I believe it DOES work with NSMBWii, as IIRC the Tanooki save editor could convert between regions.

For other games, it must be done manually. You'd need to use FE100 if you're on Windows, or tachtig and twentig (the names are something like that) to decrypt and reencrypt the save, and when they're decrypted, open I think banner.bin with a hex editor, find the game title ID and change it to the title ID of the game in the target region.

There may be more to it that that, I'm not sure.

3. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    It depends on the game (for example how much was changed from a NTSC version to a PAL) with some games it works with others it doesn´t

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    OK, I was reading around a bit and found out that this often works, no hex editing required:

Use SaveGame Manager to dump original save (if its not on your Wii to begin with, copy it on first), and note the folder name created on SD card.
    Load copy of game from target region and create a save. (I'm not sure, you may need to delete original save first)
    Use SaveGame Manager to dump new save.
    Copy contents of original save's folder to the new save's folder.
    Delete both saves from Wii.
    Install new save with SaveGame Manager.

Then you should be able to use the save with your game without issue. You can also then extract the save using the System Menu if you wish to redistribute the region-changed version.