Hacking Convert New Super Mario Bros. Wii saves from PAL to NTSC?

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd only cleared 2 worlds so far in the PAL version of New Super Mario Bros. Wii when the NTSC version released, but I'd like to move on with World 3 rather than start over in the US version, if at all possible.

Is there any way to convert a save file from the PAL version to work with the NTSC version?

I already tried hex editing the save, but a quick edit (changing SMNP to SMNE) isn't sufficient to convert the save.

LexLuthor

Trophies
XP
Country
Not that I know anything about anything but having looked pretty hard into this question before I can say its pretty much impossible. At least there is nothing out there right now that can do this.

DarkFocus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
may I ask why you would want to switch versions in the first place? they're both the same
unsure.gif

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkFocus said:
may I ask why you would want to switch versions in the first place? they're both the same
unsure.gif
No logical reason, really. I just like to switch from PAL to NTSC when I can.

I don't mind re-playing the first two worlds (and have already almost finished the first world again), so it's no big deal. Just though that some other people might want to make the switch and probably had cleared more levels than I had.

megadeoxys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also want to convert my save to be able to play with my save, through the disc channel, with NTSC version.
Is this manager youre talking about a wii program, or is it on the computer?

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Savegame manager will work. I have done this several times with animal crossing and wii sports resort.

What you have to do is run the ntsc version to the point that it saves data to the wii. Then you have to run the savegame manager and extract the saves from both the pal and ntsc version. Then you need to go and take the data files in the directory created for the pal version and copy then into then folder in the ntsc version through windows.

Then go back into sacegame manager and install the savegame for ntsc and everything will work.

ok let me get this correct, I have to start playing the NTSC version game then at any point after that I save the game then I can use Savegame Manager to use the save from Pal version over onto the NTSC version according to your method? thanks

Rahzadan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I apologize but the savegame manager method does not work with NSMB Wii. Every time I do the file swap with the saves, the NTSC version tells me that the save file is corrupted. Looks like We'll have to stick with the PAL version of the game if you've gotten pretty far in it already like I have. It's a shame, I like all the releases on my USB drive to be NTSC... Now i have one lone PAL game on there
tongue.gif

Any other solutions?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.K I can confirm that you can transfer PAL save files to NTSC-U.

All you need is Savegame Manager here and a hex editor (I use Hex Editor Neo as it is free here).

1. First move your NTSC-U save to the SD (for backup purposes). It's the one that says "A new Mario adventure!"

2. Run NSMBW and create a new NTSC-U save without starting the game (you can exit the game after the "creating new game save" message).

3. Open Savegame Manager and select "extract" and "SD".

4. Find your NSMBW saves (should be listed twice, one for each region) and extract them.

5. Now take your SD card and put it in your computer.

6. In the root of your SD card you will find the "savegames" folder. Make a backup of it just in case.

7. Open the "savegames" folder and you will find two more folders. The one that ends with "45" is NTSC-U and the one that ends with "50" is your PAL save. Open the PAL folder (00010000534d4e50) and open "wiimj2d.sav" with your hex editor.

8. The very first thing you should see on the text side is "SMNP". Change the "P" to "E" (yes it is case sensitive) and save.

9. Copy the edited "wiimj2d.sav" to your NTSC-U folder (00010000534d4e45), and delete the PAL folder.

10. Now insert the SD card back into your Wii and launch Savegame Manager.

11. This time select "install" then "SD" and install your NSMBW save.

12. You can delete the PAL save file after you confirm it works. The PAL one says "Play Mario with your friends!," and as stated above the NTSC-U says "A new Mario adventure!"

Now you should be where you were in your PAL game. This works for both USB and disc loading. Hope it helps!

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hundshamer said:
O.K I can confirm that you can transfer PAL save files to NTSC-U.

All you need is Savegame Manager here and a hex editor (I use Hex Editor Neo as it is free here).

1. First move your NTSC-U save to the SD (for backup purposes). It's the one that says "A new Mario adventure!"

2. Run NSMBW and create a new NTSC-U save without starting the game (you can exit the game after the "creating new game save" message).

3. Open Savegame Manager and select "extract" and "SD".

4. Find your NSMBW saves (should be listed twice, one for each region) and extract them.

5. Now take your SD card and put it in your computer.

6. In the root of your SD card you will find the "savegames" folder. Make a backup of it just in case.

7. Open the "savegames" folder and you will find two more folders. The one that ends with "45" is NTSC-U and the one that ends with "50" is your PAL save. Open the PAL folder (00010000534d4e50) and open "wiimj2d.sav" with your hex editor.

8. The very first thing you should see on the text side is "SMNP". Change the "P" to "E" (yes it is case sensitive) and save.

9. Copy the edited "wiimj2d.sav" to your NTSC-U folder (00010000534d4e45), and delete the PAL folder.

10. Now insert the SD card back into your Wii and launch Savegame Manager.

11. This time select "install" then "SD" and install your NSMBW save.

12. You can delete the PAL save file after you confirm it works. The PAL one says "Play Mario with your friends!," and as stated above the NTSC-U says "A new Mario adventure!"

Now you should be where you were in your PAL game. This works for both USB and disc loading. Hope it helps!

this definitely works, I can confirm 100% that it copied the Pal save file to the NTSC save file and it plays without any problems at all, thanks to "hundshamer" for the great tutorial,
THANK YOU for the time and effort to make it work using the Savegame Manager application as well as the hex editor,
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just have to say thanks it works like a champ im so ntsc happy cause i had bet the pal all ready just not all the stare coins now i can get them in the ntsc were i left off
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I could help a few people out. I also almost forgot to thank bnm81002 for his input on refining my guide.

Lesk

Trophies
XP
Country
Help!

I tried follow this guide but with no luck =/ I have a pal machine and want to convert my monster hunter tri save from ntsc to pal.
I have made a savegame on the pal version and i extracted both using save game manager into my sd game. I open the sd card on my computer and i open the folder called
save games, inside i saw the two folders for monster hunter one that ended with 50 and one that ended with 45. I open the pal folder (the one with 50) and there is no .sav file in it =/ and there is no .sav file in the
ntsc folder either. I dont know what to change =/

Anyone?

Lesk

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!

But i managed to get it working by just changing the name of the folder from 45 to 50
smile.gif

Btw, do you think that there is a risk using that save online on monster hunter? One guy said that capcom had announced this message in the game
"Capcom writes in the chat bar: Players using modified data will result as banned. "

will my save count as modified data? Think its a risk?

adambomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lesk said:
Thanks!

But i managed to get it working by just changing the name of the folder from 45 to 50
smile.gif

Btw, do you think that there is a risk using that save online on monster hunter? One guy said that capcom had announced this message in the game
"Capcom writes in the chat bar: Players using modified data will result as banned. "

will my save count as modified data? Think its a risk?

does that mean you were able to convert your monster hunter data?
i've been looking for a way to do this for a couple of days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1