Controllers: intuitive versus hard-core

Which is your weapon of choice?

• Wiimote (& Nunchuck)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gamepad

• Keyboard & mouse

• Genre-specific: steering wheel, USB guitar, flight yoke, digital golf club, analog telescopic fishin

• Total voters

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
2008-03-17.jpg

SSBB and Mario Kart Wii (and some other games) allow you to choose your controller combination. You can choose Wiimote-only, Wiimote and Nunchuck, Classic controller, Gamecube controller, anything. I guess that's because, while "innovative and intuitive and whatnot" Wiimote controls are fun and all, they're not necessairily everyone's favourite.

What kind of controller do you prefer? What's more important to you in a controller? Comfort and/or key layout aside (imagine it's custom-tailored to your hand), what do you look for in a controller? Precision? Ease of use? Intuitive control? Realism? Based on your priorities, what controller do you prefer? A gamepad, the Wiimote, a keyboard and mouse, or would you prefer an entire collection of genre-specific controllers (like joysticks, flight yokes, HOTAS systems, steering wheels, USB golf clubs, digital fishing rods, lightguns, guitars, etc. etc. etc.)?

Oh, also:

steel.jpg
wub.gif

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although a year ago I would have picked mouse and keyboard, the wiimote and nunchuck combo has become more useful everyday. Whether it is FPS, racing, adventure, or platforming, the Wiimote combo can do it all. The last test for the Wiimote, IMO, is an RTS. That is the only thing I still prefer the mouse and keyboard for.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Steel Batallion controller looks pretty intuitive to me. You have pedals, two sticks and couple buttons on sticks.

I don't know if wiimote is actually intuitive. Using the sensor bar instead of directly pointing at where you want is counter-intuitive IMO.
Like, if I want to shoot the thing on top right corner of the screen, my wiimote is pointing at a cuckoo clock instead. I find that quite annoying, and needing to shake the wiimote around to locate my hand is a poor design.

I like some genre specific controllers, majorly rhythm games like Taiko, Bemani, Guitar Hero, and racing games on wheels (G25 or DFP).

I'd prefer keyboard and mouse if I were playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2050. I don't want 3 stacks of 2m long dashboard and 250 buttons. (Just kidding)

Intuitive controllers? Do you remember the duck hunt game on NES and the gun controller? I think nothing really beats the intuitiveness of that.
You hand it over to someone, and without any explanation you get the game going.
You hand over a Wiimote to play Wii Tennis against someone who has absolutely no exposure to Wii. Then you need to explain how s/he has to point at the sensor bar to move the hand around and s/he'll need to swing that thing instead of using dpads and buttons and stuff.
That's education not intuition.

I don't hate the Wiimote. For games like SM Galaxy, Wiimote is the best controller I can think of. And for Wii Sports games, I think the game is intuitive but not the controller.

Nobody explained to me that I need to swing my nunchuck to throw a left punch. I thought the nunchuck stick was for moving around my character and wiimote was for throwing punches. I had no guard up and was throwing random right punches in a row. Also nobody explained to me that there's a tutorial before the game actually starts and I should be paying attention to the tutorial, not the opponent. Either I have bottom 5% IQ of all Canadians or Wiimote+Nunchuck isn't intuitive enough, I needed to "learn" how to use those things.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose the keyboard and mouse, control is customizable and I prefer the mouse for FPSs a lot better than the analog stick.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm, well considering I prefer old and slow, it's not to relevant.

I suck at shooters where ever you put it on.

I need something with discrete turns.

I've tried to do the wasd thing, and my hand just can't seem to get it.

I run over quite a lot of trees in my tank
smile.gif
(and houses, and fences, and cats, and bikes and anything too slow to get out of the way
smile.gif
).

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
Steel Batallion controller looks pretty intuitive to me. You have pedals, two sticks and couple buttons on sticks.

Apparently, there are around 40 buttons, including everything on the dashboard. Fun times for those who don't read the manual, eh?

deathfisaroI don't know if wiimote is actually intuitive. Using the sensor bar instead of directly pointing at where you want is counter-intuitive IMO.
Like, if I want to shoot the thing on top right corner of the screen, my wiimote is pointing at a cuckoo clock instead. I find that quite annoying, and needing to shake the wiimote around to locate my hand is a poor design.

This is where I disagree with you. Mind you, not pointing at what you want to shoot can be disorienting at first, I'm pretty sure there's no way of having a perfect system like that barring the light gun setup, and even then you might trigger epilepsy so that's not always a good thing. That said, most Wii games have an on-screen cursor for a reason, so you really need good hand-eye coordination to really benefit from the controls. And in my case, my TV is near the ceiling and I'd of course wear my arms out if I had to point up there so much. =P Metroid Prime 3 really sold me on the FPS controls, since I had played Red Steel and wanted something better, which MP3 delivered on. If I could play it with a mouse+keyboard, or play a PC FPS with the Wiimote+nunchuck, I could probably decide what's better.

Now, I'm not someone who thinks that Wii is better than all, just that some of the features are used well in some cases. Like, you have the same tilt controls for Sonic Wii that you do in MarioKart, but I feel that Sonic does it better than MK. I've now tried all but the Classic Controller setup in Brawl, and I'm actually fine with all of them, even the NES-style Wiimote only way. I was actually surprised at how well that worked, though of course it would take getting used to.

One of the big points about the Wii is "natural" actions. Sure, a seasoned gamer is going to pick up the controllers and start fiddling with the buttons, but anyone new to games would have both controllers in their hands and seeing the boxing game for example, would probably instinctively start punching with the controllers. I don't know if that will actually happen or not, but it'd make sense to me.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
A game with a confuse controller scheme is not hardcore.. is just badly designed
tongue.gif

I've been playing SSBB and MKWii using just the Wiimote.. and to me, SSBB feels a lot more hardcore with it.. fells like I'm playing an old fighting game..

As for MKWii, IMO, the game should have only one control option. A lot of "hard core" gamers don't even try the motion sensing control or try it already thinking that it's bad.. "Ok let's try it! *plays one race and loses* OMG it sucks! Back to GC controller".

Now.. if you want something really HARDCORE.. go try one of those old adventure games like Space Quest and Zork.. where you need to type your commands..

PS: That Steel Battalion control looks awesome!

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looking back on my post...

I actually want to play Steel Batallion, if only to really see how well it plays, and if the difficulty in the game only lies with trying to remember what each button and switch does. =P

God forbid if they aren't labeled...and you couldn't sit that puppy on your lap either (and be comfortable, anyway). Geez.

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I prefer gamepad for any genre, except for shooting. I am absolutely horrible at using analog sticks for aiming, I find the mouse and keyboard combination much more accurate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye-guys-girls-others.653902/#post-10401826