Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
For most proverbs, there is an equal and opposite proverb.

Actions speak louder than words. The pen is mightier than the sword.

Knowledge is power. Ignorance is bliss.

Look before you leap. He who hesitates is lost.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Clothes make the man. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Better safe than sorry.

The only thing constant is change. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Many hands make light work. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Birds of a feather flock together. Opposites attract.

The bigger, the better. The best things come in small packages.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Out of sight, out of mind.

What will be, will be. Life is what you make it.

Cross your bridges when you come to them. Forewarned is forearmed.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. One man's meat is another man's poison.

With age comes wisdom. Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings come all wise sayings.

The more, the merrier. Two's company; three's a crowd.

ohnoes.png

Looks like they have all their bases covered. Each proverb applies to a specific situation. The "only" problem is deciding which one applies to your particular predicament. Too bad it's a huge huge huge problem
laugh.gif
Like they say, grant me the wisdom to know the difference.
happy.gif

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For me, it's easy to know which proverb applies to what situation so for me it's no problem. But I never knew there were that many contradicting proverbs.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Bah, that's only because you don't know or aren't aware of the proverb that directly contradicts the one you're thinking of using
laugh.gif
What I was saying is that any general situation has two contradicting proverbs that could apply, and it's not that easy to know which one to adhere to.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all of those look obvious in almost all situations for me it's easy to choose which of each i follow the other seems dumb

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jefffisher said:
all of those look obvious in almost all situations for me it's easy to choose which of each i follow the other seems dumb

Okay, now say that in English.

Well, when you think about it, yes, they contradict each other, but aren't a few of those from different point of views from different parts of the world?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
phoenixgoddess27 said:
Well, when you think about it, yes, they contradict each other, but aren't a few of those from different point of views from different parts of the world?
These are all from the English language, so I guess they aren't and aren't proverbs supposed to be widely accepted truths reflecting the collective experience (wisdom of ages and so on)? You'd think a nonsensical (or just plain wrong) proverb would never catch on, or soon go out of use because it's just plain wrong. So how come contradicting proverbs even exist?
happy.gif
And if a proverb is, to quote the definition, "a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated, which expresses a truth, based on common sense or the practical experience of humanity" (i.e. generally accepted as true), how can they contradict each other?

By the way, this whole topic is tongue in cheek. Why so srs?
wink.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
These are all from the English language, so I guess they aren't and aren't proverbs supposed to be widely accepted truths reflecting the collective experience (wisdom of ages and so on)? You'd think a nonsensical (or just plain wrong) proverb would never catch on, or soon go out of use because it's just plain wrong. So how come contradicting proverbs even exist?
happy.gif
And if a proverb is, to quote the definition, "a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated, which expresses a truth, based on common sense or the practical experience of humanity" (i.e. generally accepted as true), how can they contradict each other?

By the way, this whole topic is tongue in cheek. Why so srs?
wink.gif

People turn green without caffeine. (Reference to the Hulk)

Well, if they were all made by the same person, that'd be quite the contradictory event because they wouldn't make sense.
But because it derives from many different view points, it's hard to call it contradictions when they came from different situations.

Or maybe I just need sleep v_v

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great!

Now I can have an answer to any douche bags who think that using a proverb instantly makes them right.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In the case of "Knowledge is power" and "Ignorance is bliss.", both could be true at the same time. Say it is an unpleasant thing that you learn of, and there is not a thing you can do about it to change anything of it. Would it not be of a good thing to have never came upon this knowledge of such unpleasantness? Since there was never anything you could do to change it, knowing about it would only bring unhappiness.

Inori

Trophies
Website
gokusaishiki.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I think proverbs are around for the sake of annoying people what people say when they have nothing really useful to contribute.

In many cases, I find that people use them after the fact. Gotta love hindsight bias.

The best things in life are free There’s no such thing as a free lunch
You’re never too old to learn You can’t teach an old dog new tricks

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Inori said:
They can both be true if you don't consider "lunch" the best thing in life.
happy.gif

And the second one is only contradictory if you're a dog.

Inori

Trophies
Website
gokusaishiki.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Veho said:
Inori said:
They can both be true if you don't consider "lunch" the best thing in life.
happy.gif

And the second one is only contradictory if you're a dog.

Uh, not lunch in the literal sense... The proverb is basically saying nothing is ever free

EDIT: 17/09/10

But the first proverb can be taken to mean that the best things in life are immaterial (and possibly abstract) concepts, and that material goods (that are never free) aren't the best (or most important) things in life.

But I think that the cost for immaterial things doesn`t necessarily have to be a monterary cost.

And I rate lunch up there on "best things in life" list.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Inori said:
Uh, not lunch in the literal sense... The proverb is basically saying nothing is ever free
I know, I was kidding.

But the first proverb can be taken to mean that the best things in life are immaterial (and possibly abstract) concepts, and that material goods (that are never free) aren't the best (or most important) things in life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1