Hacking Contra 4

Rankio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else experienced any problems with saving and received the File Write Error! message?

otomon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Taken from:http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=61977&st=0

When you are getting the "File Write Error" some Rom dump makes an error with the save-file.
Try every rom you have on your card. There must be one rom wich is starting.
This is the "bad rom" . For the solution the example game is named "-Lolz-" .

- Connect to your PC throught the usb.
- Make a new folder on the card.
- Search the Savefile of the game
- COPY this savefile to the new folder.
- Now you will see, this are hundrets of savefiles and it will copy a long time.
- Then you will have files like
"-Lolz-.sav"
"-Lolz-(1).sav"
"-Lolz-(2).sav"
"-Lolz-(3).sav"
The original sav file is the "-Lolz-.sav" this file you must copy to the root of the NCard. (Replace the old one)
Now the error should be gone.
!!! Never play the Rom-Dump wich caused the error. It will came again. !!!
Try to find another dump of that rom...

Rankio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen that response before...

a) You don't have to make a new folder

b) You can just delete the SAV files

c) Delete LASTSAVE.db or whatever that file is called and the card will work again

d) Finding another dump of Contra 4 I doubt is going to be easy

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've seen that response before...

a) You don't have to make a new folder

b) You can just delete the SAV files

c) Delete LASTSAVE.db or whatever that file is called and the card will work again

d) Finding another dump of Contra 4 I doubt is going to be easy

That works too,
but , imo, to find another dump is not everytime easy... Mostly the whole Rom Scene offers the same package x_x ....

Rankio

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is Contra 4 working for you guys? Saving without a problem? Maybe if I knew the save type it would help diagnose the problem.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine works fine with the fire card I just put the save type as 'FLASH 4mbit'
happy.gif

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Try this... set to 4kb eeprom, start the game and let the cart create the save file. Turn off and connect up to PC, now rename the save file so it case-sensitve matches the rom name.....

example... contra4.nds and contra4.sav but not CONTRA4.sav

.... then delete the lastsave.dtb from the dsystem folder. now hopefully the save error will stay away.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well I just tested it with my N-Card, and...It works perfactly. I just dropped it in and ran it with the default save type (auto in this case) and have played it and it saved properly. It ran fine on next bootup.

Its either the firmware I'm using or where I got the rom that is causing the running perfactly symptoms.
tongue.gif

I think it has to do with the version of firmware I'm running. So I recommend upgrading your N-Card firmware to this:

http://www.qi168.net/forum/index.php?topic=108.0

Its called "Ultra N-Card", but it will run on any N-Card/clone. This firmware adds soft reset feature and a loading icon. So even if you don't play contra, upgrade to this firmware anyway. Go to the very last post on the above thread link for detailed instructions if your not familier with the firmware upgrade process. Otherwise just use the instructions provided on the first page.

Contra 4 should run without any fiddling around with settings or files, once this firmware is updated.

Don't worry this new firmware is fully compatible with any existing custom skin you might be using. Be sure to backup your games/saves and skins/global.ini files, before updating. Also, you want to turn off 3D Menu in global.ini file if you don't want the 3D interface since it will be the default option on a fresh upgrade. PM me or post at that forum if you need help with the firmware stuff.

Also note that the version numbers for above firmware won't be consistant with the version numbers of the standard firmware. The Ultra-N Card firmware though almost identical to the standard firmware, is more then likely a (better) software clone of the standard N-Card. I havn't had any issues with this firmware and so far seems to work better then the latest version of the standard firmware.

And last time I checked, I didn't have to change the save type for Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. It seems this firmware can properly detect its 4mbit save type. So I don't think you will have to change the save type to manual with that game either.

EDIT...

Well then after further playing. I didn't get the error when playing Contra, but now got that error when trying a different game....Oh well. Use the method already mentioned a few posts back. I still recommend upgrading to this firmware however. Its much better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.