Contra 4, Officially announced for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by hey_suburbia, Jun 20, 2007.

Jun 20, 2007
  1. hey_suburbia
    OP

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – June 20, 2007 – Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., today announced Contra 4 (working title) for the Nintendo DS™. Marking the 20th anniversary of the quintessential action franchise, the game pushes 2D side-scrolling action in an all-new direction with gunplay that spans two full screens, original gameplay mechanics that grant players deadlier abilities than ever before, and frantic multiplayer functionality.

Contra 4 takes place two years after the events of Contra III: The Alien Wars. After saving earth from invasion by Red Falcon, Bill Rizer and Lance Bean are confronted with a new extraterrestrial menace: the terrifying Black Viper. Joined by hard-boiled mercenaries Mad Dog and Scorpion, the warriors must once again wage war against an entire army of invaders.

http://wiinintendo.net/2007/06/20/contra-4-coming-to-the-ds/

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Great news! There has been some right horrible duds after Contra 3, though the last PS2 game was pretty good. Can't wait for a proper 2D game with no 3D sprites at all.

I'm hoping the DS functions aren't forced and that multiplayer is done well.

Can I hope for first person shooting bits like in the first game but where you tap to shoot the baddies?

3. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    What a great day! [​IMG]

4. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Awesome! [​IMG]

Can we hope for Wifi coop...?

5. Evilkoko

Member Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Woot, this is exactly what i've been hoping for. Hopefully there's wifi co-op.

6. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    This is all wrong.

Lance and Bill got married after Alien Wars, hasn't anyone played Contra: Shattered Soldier???

7. DS64

Member DS64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    co-op would be a dream. Either way Contra on the DS [​IMG]

8. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    This is great news. Now Konami, bring back Sparkster!

9. serious_sean

Member serious_sean GBAtemp Regular

United States
    man, a grappling hook, upgradable weapons, and co-op!?!?

this game is going to rule! I hope you can play as a probotector, that would kick ass!!

10. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Ehh...
    " target="_blank">http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/contra-4...ilable-2007/-->QUOTE(joystiq @ http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/contra-4...vailable-2007/)Konami just announced that Contra 4, a direct sequel to 1992's SNES classic Contra III: The Alien Wars, is coming to the popular as ever Nintendo DS platform this year. What can Nintendo's handheld offer the tried and true 2D Contra formula besides dual screens and the chance to forget all about Neo Contra? First, those dual screens will allow "massive boss battles" that span both screens. Second, the game will have a multiplayer function that we can only imagine will be enabled by the system's built-in WiFi (but what's Contra without multiplayer?). Third, the opportunity to catch up with Bill Rizer and Lance Bean, who "are confronted with a new extraterrestrial menace: the terrifying Black Viper." And you can do it all on your Noble Pink DS Lite.

Contra 4 (just a working title, folks) is being developed by California's WayForward Technologies (they brought you classics such as Ping Pals and SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab) and will be available in 2007.

I'm looking at this company on Wikipedia right now, and pretty much every game this group has done is considered garbage...I'm suddenly not too sure about this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WayForward_Technologies

11. serious_sean

Member serious_sean GBAtemp Regular

United States
    these guys made shantae, sigma star saga, xtreme sports, and wendy every witch way. they know their platforming!!

i'm assured the game is in good hands. and the nintendo power screens look freakin' fantastic!

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Shantae and Wendy games are great platformers! Also the two Sabrina GBC titles were pretty good considering the subject matter (though I do like the show, but don't tell anyone that.)

The rest of their stuff is total trash apart from the GBA Krusty KRab which wasn't too bad. There is another developer out there whose every game was horrible and then they popped out a classic, can't remember who they were or what that classic was but...you know give 'em a chance at least.

13. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Man I was really hyped after hearing this news... until I saw WayForward Technologies past games. I really hope they don't mess this up!

Does anyone have any screenshots?

[​IMG]

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Ahh! Finally some love for us old-schoolers that isn't a flowers-and-bunnies game. This kind of game is far and few between on the DS. Looking forward to it.

15. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
    Cool!
    Atlus made old-school dungeon crawler "Etrian Odyssey," now Konami will do old-school shooter! [​IMG]

16. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Not to happy about this one being outsorced to a western developer [​IMG]
    It seems like they couldnt get the original contra team back again, like they did with Shattered Soldier.
    My second guess is that Treasure were too busy to take this one onboard.