Homebrew Continuation of TheCruel's Godot Project for the 3DS

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few years ago the now the now inactive developer "TheCruel" posted his fork of Godot to make games for the 3DS. After a few months of contributions , the project went silent.

The Godot Engine over the past few years has received thousands of additional commits as TheCruel's version went stale. I have taken it upon myself to create a mirror that will be constantly maintained, which can be found here. As for now I'm touching up the Python so I can actually compile the project and see what needs to be added. If you would like to fetch commits upstream or do pretty much anything else to contribute, please do. This is a large undertaking that cannot be done to the fullest extent by one person. Thanks!

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't knew about this, looks promissing and glad it will be revived, hopefully all the drama is kept away.

I don't think any drama will follow. I would explain why in detail, but because of some very specific events in late 2018, I can't. Let's just say we should separate someone's code and the actual person to a certain extent ("Linus doesn't like your code, not you" if it makes any sense).

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: The Catboy

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks, but no thanks. It was my fault for not being clear enough. I meant the drama won't follow because his code doesn't represent him as a person. Just because he [allegedly] did VERY bad things doesn't mean his code has anything to do with that.

I understand that anything TheCruel did will forever remind us of his crimes, but at the same time we need to remember and move on. I respectfully ask anyone contributing to this project to do the same. TheCruel is not his work. Thanks, and I hope you understand. :)

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just to make things clear, i can develop and export games for 3DS on godot with this?
would it be legal for someone to share a compiled version of this? since i can't do it

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to make things clear, i can develop and export games for 3DS on godot with this?
would it be legal for someone to share a compiled version of this? since i can't do it

I think it would, but because some of TheCruel's code is outdated, I can't compile it at the moment. Expect a base release sometime in the near future. Unfortunately it's probably going to be extremely outdated in the beginning and will take a while to fetch code upstream and fix conflicts with the most current version.

Reactions: placebo_yue

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I think it would, but because some of TheCruel's code is outdated, I can't compile it at the moment. Expect a base release sometime in the near future. Unfortunately it's probably going to be extremely outdated in the beginning and will take a while to fetch code upstream and fix conflicts with the most current version.
I wouldn't mind working with an old version of godot as long as it works. I still use unity 2018.2.2, and until not too long ago i also used 5.5. I'm not that eager about having the latest version of the softwares unless there's some killer update or a giant project-killing bug being solved.
Thanks for your work, having an engine to easily develop games/apps for the 3DS would open the doors for development for a whole lot of people that couldn't otherwise. I'll be waiting for that release!

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind working with an old version of godot as long as it works. I still use unity 2018.2.2, and until not too long ago i also used 5.5. I'm not that eager about having the latest version of the softwares unless there's some killer update or a giant project-killing bug being solved.
Thanks for your work, having an engine to easily develop games/apps for the 3DS would open the doors for development for a whole lot of people that couldn't otherwise. I'll be waiting for that release!

Alright! Thanks for your support!

Reactions: placebo_yue

sketchedgrey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I'm going to have to delay the project for a couple days because of something I'm working on with an actual deadline. Python should be pushed to origin soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: Life is a giant prick