dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
I was attempting to fix a botched wiikey install for a customer and I had to do a wired install (missing pads, etc.) well I got the system to boot back up after i re-installed the wiikey, but now the dvd drive is constantly ejecting and loading over and over and over. If you put a disc in the drive it will stop doing it, and sometimes even load the backup. Shortly after though it usually freezes no matter what game. I've check the install over 5 times and it's flawless I'm sure. Has anybody else had a problem like this, possibly with a damaged Wiikey chip or dvd drive?

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How "botched" was the install? Do you have pictures? I mean, the most reasonable thing, as you said, is they probably messed up the chip or the drive. I mean, if you checked it over 5 times, and you're sure everything is perfect, then that would have to be it, wouldn't it?

dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
it was pretty botched lol. here is a couple snapshots from before I attempted the repair:

CIMG0330.JPG

CIMG0335.JPG

and this is from after I wired it up:

CIMG0343.JPG

CIMG0339.JPG

CIMG0337.JPG

dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
look closely at the wiikey chip, the missing wire you speak of is connected to the chip leg (it's covered with black tape). The was able to use an exacto blade to separate the bridged traces, unfortunately I could not actually fix them which is why I soldered directly to the DVD chipset legs.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
another:
if you had read dohclude's post, you would have noticed that he said that he was attempting to repair it for the customer who had attempted it themself and botched it.

looking at the wiikey, it looks like a clone. not that that matters, but I wonder if he applied too much heat for a prolonged period of time and fried something on either it or the wii's motherboard.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It looks obvious to me - look at the traces between the Wii chip and the lifted pad, it looks like they are all bridged with solder, or at least two of them. Cut the traces right above the damaged spot to make sure. Also your WiiKey chip is sitting right on the metal with no insulation under it, are you sure nothing is making contact there on the bottom of the WiiKey pcb? Lastly make sure there is no bridging between your soldered legs on the Wii chip.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before you mod that Wii, did you test to see whether it is working or not? coz you know, your customer might have given you a problematic Wii and try to put the blame on you..

dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
The customer knew he fudged it up royaly. that's why he sent it to me, so i could try and fix it. the bridging that everyone keeps shouting about is actually intentional. if you know what a normal Wii drive board looks like then you would know that there is usually a little black fuse there. The customer ripped it off somehow, I did that little bridge to connect the gap where the fuse used to be. This is probably one of the many reasons why this one is giving me so many problems. I know the pic is a bit blurry, it makes the illusion that the traces are connected, but I ssure you they are not. I've been in there with a microscope. I've done plenty of repair / installs similar to this, but this one is the worst I've worked on yet (because I can't seem to get this one to work.)

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The customer knew he fudged it up royaly. that's why he sent it to me, so i could try and fix it. the bridging that everyone keeps shouting about is actually intentional. if you know what a normal Wii drive board looks like then you would know that there is usually a little black fuse there. The customer ripped it off somehow, I did that little bridge to connect the gap where the fuse used to be. This is probably one of the many reasons why this one is giving me so many problems. I know the pic is a bit blurry, it makes the illusion that the traces are connected, but I ssure you they are not. I've been in there with a microscope. I've done plenty of repair / installs similar to this, but this one is the worst I've worked on yet (because I can't seem to get this one to work.)

just because its black and a smd doesnt mean its a fuse, try it get a working wii drive and test it out with a multimeter. my multimeter says it has inf resistance.

it could be a capacitor or something else beside a fuse or resistor

dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
yes I know that, I only call it a fuse for those who aren't familiar with this sort of thing. I had already thought of that actually, but currently do not have another system to try it on. If anybody out there is reading this, please test the resistance on that component for me and post the results, you will be my hero.

dohclude

OP
Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
dude are you even listening to me at all? read my post a little more carefully. I the customer knocked a fuse/cap/res/diode/whatever off the board. I (in an effort to fix it) replaced it with a jumper. The pic is a bit funny, and the jumper sits slightly to the left of the solder pad, but it is connected, the damaged traces are also not toucing each other. I have verified this with a multimeter. Don't reply to my posts and talk trash about my skills, you have no idea what I can do, and you have pointed out absolutely nothing that I don't already know. Now go and muck up somebody else's topic idiot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos