Constant Eject / Load of the DVD Drive with WiiKey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dohclude, Mar 30, 2007.

1. dohclude
    OP

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was attempting to fix a botched wiikey install for a customer and I had to do a wired install (missing pads, etc.) well I got the system to boot back up after i re-installed the wiikey, but now the dvd drive is constantly ejecting and loading over and over and over. If you put a disc in the drive it will stop doing it, and sometimes even load the backup. Shortly after though it usually freezes no matter what game. I've check the install over 5 times and it's flawless I'm sure. Has anybody else had a problem like this, possibly with a damaged Wiikey chip or dvd drive?

2. CYatta

Member CYatta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How "botched" was the install? Do you have pictures? I mean, the most reasonable thing, as you said, is they probably messed up the chip or the drive. I mean, if you checked it over 5 times, and you're sure everything is perfect, then that would have to be it, wouldn't it?

3. dohclude
    OP

United States
    it was pretty botched lol. here is a couple snapshots from before I attempted the repair:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is from after I wired it up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    look like there is missing one wire ???

and some trace look bridged ?

5. dohclude
    OP

United States
    look closely at the wiikey chip, the missing wire you speak of is connected to the chip leg (it's covered with black tape). The was able to use an exacto blade to separate the bridged traces, unfortunately I could not actually fix them which is why I soldered directly to the DVD chipset legs.

6. another

Newcomer another Member

United States
    that was a job for a customer?

if I was your customer and saw how you installed that I'd be pissed.

7. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    dumbass if you were that customer you can only be pissed at yourself for messing up the board.

8. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    another:
    if you had read dohclude's post, you would have noticed that he said that he was attempting to repair it for the customer who had attempted it themself and botched it.

looking at the wiikey, it looks like a clone. not that that matters, but I wonder if he applied too much heat for a prolonged period of time and fried something on either it or the wii's motherboard.

9. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    i should test another wiikey chip, soldering looks ok.

10. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hmm, is this the new dvd board with a different layout?

11. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    It looks obvious to me - look at the traces between the Wii chip and the lifted pad, it looks like they are all bridged with solder, or at least two of them. Cut the traces right above the damaged spot to make sure. Also your WiiKey chip is sitting right on the metal with no insulation under it, are you sure nothing is making contact there on the bottom of the WiiKey pcb? Lastly make sure there is no bridging between your soldered legs on the Wii chip.

12. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    before you mod that Wii, did you test to see whether it is working or not? coz you know, your customer might have given you a problematic Wii and try to put the blame on you..

13. DiNo29

Member DiNo29 GBAtemp Regular

France
    The customer cames because he messed up the install, so it probably was problematic anyway.

14. dohclude
    OP

United States
    The customer knew he fudged it up royaly. that's why he sent it to me, so i could try and fix it. the bridging that everyone keeps shouting about is actually intentional. if you know what a normal Wii drive board looks like then you would know that there is usually a little black fuse there. The customer ripped it off somehow, I did that little bridge to connect the gap where the fuse used to be. This is probably one of the many reasons why this one is giving me so many problems. I know the pic is a bit blurry, it makes the illusion that the traces are connected, but I ssure you they are not. I've been in there with a microscope. I've done plenty of repair / installs similar to this, but this one is the worst I've worked on yet (because I can't seem to get this one to work.)

15. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    just because its black and a smd doesnt mean its a fuse, try it get a working wii drive and test it out with a multimeter. my multimeter says it has inf resistance.

it could be a capacitor or something else beside a fuse or resistor

16. dohclude
    OP

United States
    yes I know that, I only call it a fuse for those who aren't familiar with this sort of thing. I had already thought of that actually, but currently do not have another system to try it on. If anybody out there is reading this, please test the resistance on that component for me and post the results, you will be my hero.

17. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    looking at the last photo it seem to be joined? IC3001
    or re-solder all wire on the 'chip leg' and c2 fuse (wiikey)

18. dohclude
    OP

United States

It is not joined.

[​IMG]

19. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    look again:

[​IMG]

I should get paid for this... [​IMG]

20. dohclude
    OP

United States
    dude are you even listening to me at all? read my post a little more carefully. I the customer knocked a fuse/cap/res/diode/whatever off the board. I (in an effort to fix it) replaced it with a jumper. The pic is a bit funny, and the jumper sits slightly to the left of the solder pad, but it is connected, the damaged traces are also not toucing each other. I have verified this with a multimeter. Don't reply to my posts and talk trash about my skills, you have no idea what I can do, and you have pointed out absolutely nothing that I don't already know. Now go and muck up somebody else's topic idiot.