Consoles Are Doomed!!!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hadrian, Apr 10, 2007.

Apr 10, 2007

Consoles Are Doomed!!! by Hadrian at 12:54 PM (1,886 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    John Romero who helped make such classics as Daikatana, Tower Toppler and Anachronox reckons consoles like PS3 & 360 need a big rethink in order to survive from being killed off by cheap PCs in the future. He does however think Nintendo are going in the right direction.

"Next-gen console is big but its future isn't too bright with the emergence of cheap PC multi-core processors and the big change the PC industry will go through during the next 5 years to accommodate the new multi-core-centric hardware designs," Romero told Adrenaline Vault.

"My prediction is that the game console in the vein of the PS3 and Xbox 360 is going to either undergo a massive rethink or go away altogether."

Romero - whose credits include the likes of Doom and Quake, and ill-fated first-person shooter Daikatana - has greater expectations for Nintendo though, backing its belief in broadening the market with a more accessible machine.

"The Wii has the perfect design for a console that doesn’t pretend to be a PC and is geared more toward casual gamers than hardcore gamers," he explained.

"The hardcore gamers are going to either be playing on their PCs or a new PC-like platform that sits in the living room but still serves the whole house over Wi-Fi, even the video signal," Romero predicted.

In the meantime, he's working on a PC MMORPG at Slipgate Ironworks, although he still can't say anything about it, other than, "we're creating something that's the first of its kind and we want to be first to market with it".

2. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
  3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I don't think theirs anything wrong with the PS3 or Xbox 360 that a few original ideas games wise wouldn't fix. I'm sure I'm not the only person fed up of constant sequels and FPS games. The advantage the console has over the PC is its always good for at least 5 years. With the PC you are constantly updating your memory, graphics cards etc... You always need to check the spec on the game to know if it'll play. With the console you know the game will work. PC games can be more easily pirated as well.

4. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I dont think PC will ever take the place of consoles, updating hardware is just a pain. If you're only gonna pirate games instead of buying them then I guess you'll probably spend the same amount but still its gay if you are a legit gamer.

The handheld market however will become more important, the DS & PSP both outsell 360, PSP and Wii and will probably always will.

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't think so, i think the guy is talking out of his ass, buying a console is a much more cheaper option in the long run, to keep up with the latest technology cost a fortune when gaming on the PC, so much for his logic.

6. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    So...the guy behind Doom 3 and Quake 4, quite possibly the most graphic intense games for the PC is bashing the 2 high graphics consoles.

7. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    I didnt think he had much to do with those games seeing he left ID.

8. AnTi-WaR

Member AnTi-WaR those who make mistakes blame themselves and close

I havent played a 360,ps3 or even a wii I am mostly a pc gamer I love my AD&D type rpg's and havent found many on the consoles

9. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Man I really want that Wii and 360 laptop! [​IMG]
    :'(

10. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This guy makes failure after failure. Don't think he's in a position to say anything. I don't think he's with that level designer girl with the huge boobies anymore either [​IMG]

11. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I agree, Daikatana 64 was quite possibly the worst game I ever played, take his opinions with a pinch of salt. He's simply a washed up developer trying to revive his name. The only things worth anything connected to his name are of course Quake and Doom.

12. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Seconded. The problem is that as people change their PC hardware it renders older games useless. I spent an hour last night trying to get a PC game from 1997 running on XP. (POD, worked 2 re-installs and 6 patches later, get in!)

I have two other games that won't run, but I can get them on PSOne. Despite "upgrading" to a PS2 we still have a PSOne in the house; stuff the old discs in and off it goes. Let's ignore PS2 backward compatability for now, the point is that when buying a new console you can keep your old one, whereas buying new PC bits tend to replace your existing machine and, over time, can make all your old software obsolete. And this is why consoles are not doomed.

13. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Which is why you also install 98 with a dual boot. [​IMG]

14. th3sandm4n

Member th3sandm4n I'm here for the knowledge!

United States
    I've thought this for the longest time. I personally think that the PC is the gaming machine. I'd much rather spend money on buying one system that I can do EVERYTHING on, then buy different consoles.
    But then again I haven't bought a console since Saturn(which I bough like 2 years after it went under).
    I think Wii is doing the right thing, I mean to play those games I NEED that console, I can't find the same games available on PC. And by same I mean the general gameplay. Even in that argument, you can hook up the wiimote to PC, so even that is possible.

I do disagree with him though, consoles won't go away

15. Perseid

Member Perseid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    High-end PCs have always obliterated the capabilities of high-end consoles. High-end PCs have always been much more expensive than consoles. This has not changed and isn't going to change anytime soon.

16. GBA_Temper

Member GBA_Temper *KING OF GBATEMP*

United States
    Well if anyone is in the DONATING moon you can always donate me a HIGH END PC [​IMG]

17. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I thought consoles are cheap PCs [​IMG]

This guy fails.

18. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Romero may have a huge Resume, but he once said I was going to be his bitch, do I need to say more?

19. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    I think even more important then the price of consoles over PC’s. Is that there are huge
    amounts of stupid gamers out there that can’t install a game on a PC much less upgrade a
    video card. So consoles were all you do is stick a cartridge or DVD in the unit & play, will
    always be around.

20. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Aye Daikatana was a big pile of steaming doo doo but the GBC one was an excellent little action/adventure game, dont think he had anything to do with that one.