1. 3,112

Front-page

As previously announced, a collection of beloved D&D-styled role-playing games are headed to consoles for the first time. We now have the release dates for the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate I+II and Siege of Dragonspear, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment. On September 24, 2019, all the aforementioned games except Neverwinter Nights will release, both physically and digitally on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch, while Neverwinter Nights will follow a few months later, on December 3rd. All the games will come included with their expansions and downloadable content, and feature updated UIs that make it easier to play with a controller.

splymb, lordelan, mathew77 and 2 others like this.
  2. Discussion (27 replies)

3. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    How atrocious... Beamdog continues to tarnish this legacy.

4. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I don't hate the idea in and of itself. More platforms to play the games on is always good, and if that means you need to overhaul the UI, who cares.

The problem I have with these games is that I've read that they've changed character dialogue and story elements, even added or removed a few to "update" the game with the current political climate. The idea of that is pretty bad, but it is even worse because they didn't even get competent writers, so all the new additions clash dramatically with the existing world and feel woefully out of place.

5. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    Great to see these on consoles.

Though most of the hardcore fans will have them already on PC.

6. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Baldurs gate havnt heard tht said for years ther was this catchy tune in the pub in the game gonna hav to go youtube and find it - found it

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  7. AkitoUF

AkitoUF GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    Yeah I can't wait to savescum the whole game on Switch now.

LadyHaywood likes this.
  8. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Shut up and take my money!

Can't wait to play those laying back on my comfy couch.

LadyHaywood likes this.
  9. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Gambia, The
    How did they do it? I thought the source code for bg2 was lost and couldnt be enhanced like bg1. So porting is not possible.

Ah did a mistake here. It was icewind dale 2 which can't be altered with. This will stay pc only for a long long time.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    Just because the source code is lost doesn't mean that the game cannot be remade - it runs on the Infinity Engine, just like the other games in the series. It's perfectly feasible to take the assets available, retrace the steps made at the time and re-create the game. It wouldn't be a 1:1 mirror image of the original, but none of those enhanced titles are. It would be very time-consuming, but it's possible.

LadyHaywood likes this.
  11. Issac

Issac I
    Supervisor

Sweden
    Mmm, I would love these games on the Switch! Portable and nice :P

12. LadyHaywood

LadyHaywood Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm super excited to play these, but I really hope they have mouse and keyboard support on xbox on release. I've been playing Pillars, Divinity, and Tyranny on xbox and I'm totally fine with using a controller, rather I prefer it. But I know there are people who are used to using mouse and keyboard or people who would like to just have the option so now that it is a thing on xbox these games among others like these should have that support.

Also, I understand the argument of "if you want to play with mouse and keyboard then buy it on the computer" but people like the convenience and set up of a console. Some people's pc isn't set up in a home theater like style or only have that one pc in their parent's office or living room and they just wanna chill in their room to play games. At least having that optional support would be nice to some people in whatever room set up they have for their console. Also, it's an option that not a lot of games are using so to expand that would also be nice.

GothicIII and DarkCrudus like this.
  13. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    Ooohhh. Nice, will probably pick this up on my Xbox and have some good ol couch co op :D

LadyHaywood likes this.
  14. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Poland
    I hope that Switch version will utilize touchscreen.

LadyHaywood and XDel like this.
  15. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    Aghh, REAL RPG's!!!

16. Closet Nerd

Closet Nerd GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Who can be upset by this?

Redhorse likes this.
  17. Redhorse

Redhorse GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was just wondering where these disappeared to.. can hardly wait//

18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    lmfao these are going to play like garbage with a controller!

19. JinTrigger

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    How would you know if the writers are competency or if the updated script is bad if the revised game hasn't come out yet?

20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Meh. I've already played them all on PC, so not gonna bother myself. I do wonder if the Switch versions will be ports of the PC version, or ports of the Android version with all the touch controls.

Not sure what you read, but the changes to the original games were not major in any way whatsoever. The issue you're likely referring to is the new Baldur's Gate 1 expansion, which is what added the SJW BS and had the shit writing. The base games themselves have changed very little, if at all in some cases. I'd recommend playing them anyways, and just ignore any of the new trash they release.

Uhh, because all of these games are already out? They've been on PC for years, all the games mentioned here are just going to be ports, nothing new.

21. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Yeah, I generally like anything that makes games more accessible. But what are these changes? I hadn't heard about those.

Yeah, possibly, especially as mobile versions have already been released so touch controls are already available for these games.

Yeah, Icewind Dale 2 is the problem one. Such a shame we won't get an Enhanced Edition of it, unless the source code is magically rediscovered or someone manages to reverse engineer it, or we could get some sort of EE that's the original game with mods on top of it. At least the original version is still perfectly playable if you have the discs or buy it from GoG.

GothicIII likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Planescape, versions, Console