Console paint / spray jobs - ideally UK but abroad considered

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Quackington, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Quackington
    OP

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Hi all,

Does anyone here offer or know of somewhere that offers custom paint jobs for game consoles? I'm not talking about a paint brush job, but a proper one. I'm looking to get my Gamecube custom coloured. I found someone on Etsy, who seems like he does a professional job, but the guy hasn't responded to me in ages, seems to have fallen off the face of the planet. The job he does is described as follows:
    Now that is the type of job I'm after, or a similarly well done one. Any recommendations / pointers would be most welcome, thanks.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Honestly? I'd do the job by myself. All you need to do is a bit of sanding, putting on a base coat and then painting the whole thing with the proper colour.

yusuo likes this.
  3. Quackington
    OP

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Yeah, I'd rather not risk it...would prefer to get someone au fait in the practice and pay them to do so.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Looking at that link, it appears they only do SNES consoles, there's no mention of any other console they'll mod ;)

6. Quackington
    OP

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks for the link, have fired off an e-mail :) You mentioned sanding earlier, can you explain why sanding is needed first, please?

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I know a guy who knows a guy, Norway based. He does some pretty awesome looking paint jobs. I can't promise anything but I'll ask him about it.
    Edit: If you just want your console painted a different color he's probably not the guy. He does custom artwork paint jobs.

Sanding is needed to make the paint stick better, it won't stick well to the smooth surface and will start flaking off over time.

Foxi4 likes this.
  8. Quackington
    OP

Quackington Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks, and yes, I'm only after it being painted a different, flat colour. No fancy custom artwork. I'd appreciate it if you could ask anyway, to see if he'll do a one-off.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Are there no vinyls out there in the wild any more?

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's just a simple paint job - clearly they're capable of that much. ;)
    You're welcome. As mentioned earlier, the sanding is required to make the paint stick properly to the plastic - it would flake off of an even surface. Painting plastics is tricky business. ;)

11. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    What about vinyl dye? I have this plastic game card carry case that's glossy in places and textured in others that I'd like to repaint but if I sanded it I'd lose the ascetic.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would use some degreasing compound on the whole thing, make sure that it's sparkly clean, lay down a base, make sure that it dries a 100% before continuing and then I'd paint with the paint proper. I'm afraid that if by "textured" you mean "it's not glossy", the paint will cover this effect and the only way to regain it is sanding the finished product with a very thin grain sandpaper. Stuff like that may take several coats and by proxy, several days.

13. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    You could also try using a texture paint. Check your local hardware store for different options.

Foxi4 likes this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's a good idea too! :yay:

15. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If they do paint jobs then I'm definitely interested in letting them take care of my NES (black and red) and Dreamcast (black and orange)

16. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
  17. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Only thing is that these Commissions are Expensive Rose Colored has some GBA's for bout $150-250........?!?!?!?

That's insane :wacko: I understand the Craftsmanship and all But i wouldn't want to go broke getting one of these.....DIY are a little better price efficient but of Course i doubt most Gamers have LOADS of Consoles/Systems/Handhelds to Practice on but it doesn't Hurt to pick this up as a Hobby......for Personal Reasons of Course :lol:

I tried my Hand at a GBA i pieced together a lil while back....Needed a new Screen Lens and Battery Cover got both on Amazon on the Cheap been wanting to pick up some more on CL recently......
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

No Backlit tho :cry: