Console Packs

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If those old enough to remember the good old NES days

On launch day, the Action Set came with 2 controllers, A Zapper and Mario Bros + Duckhunt
I believe the normal version had Mario Bros + Duckhunt and 2 controllers (correct me if I'm wrong)

I believe a similar pack was launched with the SNES.
But then it all changed.

They dropped a controller from the launch pack. The N64 only had two games with the Japanese launch - might have been three ... Super Mario 64, Pilot Wings 64 and (?)

Same happened with the Gamecube, this time no Mario at launch, and again just the 1 controller.

With the Wii they included Wii Sports - which was touted as a family game, yet you only got 1 wiimote with the pack.

I think it sucks that Nintendo are charging extortionate amounts for the wiimotes

On top of the £179.00 price tag and you have stereotypical family of 4 as seen in ads. Wiimotes at £30 each.
That's an extra £120 bucks. plus 4 nunchuks at £10 each - if they have Mario Kart - 3 extra wheels at 10 each.

I'm thinking it's all very well wanting to make money, but I think Nintendo are taking the crap out if it's consumers.

Thoughts?

abort_user

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its a shame game systems are coming with less and less these days. though the original nes came with rob and gyromite. i dont know if it even had super mario with it. they of course repackaged it a few times. i got the later release with the orange light gun instead of the gray one.

i dont mind the wii remotes are so expensive. i just wish two came with the system. i understand they are bluetooth and use accelorometers or whatever they are. also they should have a battery pack. the ds spoiled me. though i think the nunchuck is a rip. it should come with the wii remote. its got a wire. it cant work on its own. why sell it alone? at least have a bundle of them together...

but what really gets me is the cost of 360 controllers. my brother just got one and they are wireless. thats it. no battery pack. no motion. no nothing. and they cost more than the wii remote.

though im glad the wii and the ds had wifi. but id still rather have two controllers. and give me a real game, not just some tech demo.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
abort_user said:
... though i think the nunchuck is a rip. it should come with the wii remote. its got a wire. it cant work on its own. why sell it alone? at least have a bundle of them together...

QFT!

$40 for a Wii remote should include the nunchuk. $250 for the system should include 2 remotes and 2 nunchuks.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait a sec, they well Wii Remotes and Nuchucks SEPARATELY? I had no idea
wacko.gif

That's like buying a DS without the Styli! D:

chojinlx

Trophies
XP
Country
In the standard wii game package, you also get a nunchuck too... You don't *HAVE* to buy 4 wii-motes for the system. Friends who want to play with you can bring their own wii-motes. Why pay for extras that you might not use? You can compare to older systems and their packages but look at how much you are getting now? The size of game, the amount of work people have to put into to make the games of today.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you're singling out Nintendo and whining about something that honestly they're being more fair on than any of the three have been in the last 2 generations. Nintendo was the last to give a pack-in option, and they were the first to bring it back too with Wii Sports. Perhaps they're hosing you on the controller parts, and then again maybe not so much. Do you personally know what it costs them to assemble, pack, ship, pay licensing fees on various parts, etc to the penny? I don't, and I'm positive unless you're on the inside neither do you. Yes it seems a bit when a Wii controller is $30 and the nunchuk is another $20, but it's not like Nintendo is the sole party guilty in jacking people.

What about the 360 and even the xbox? Did they give you anything really from the get go? No...just a pad. How about Sony with any of their 3 systems? Not at first no...going into launch there was a choice of a $600 PS3 with Motostorm but it wasn't day one and was to help weather that nasty blow to the pocket. I think you're just whining for the sake of it really. Yes I understand that in the past Nintendo could pack in 2 pads and a zapper with a game(that may have up to 3 games on it), perhaps a ROB, or a Power Pad...and then into the GB you had Tetris, and the SNES had 1 to a 5in1 game pack (SMAS+World), and then Sega did have their built in game on the SMS and a freebie with the Genny too. So? Nintendo wasn't the one to end the trend...that can be laid down on a certain CD system around 1995~ from one of the competition and it forced the others to nickel and dime to be competitive, and it has been that crap ever since outside of Mario Tennis with the Vboy which tanked.

If anything Nintendo should get some praise, even if it's just moderate due to the 2 part controller pricing because they tossed in Wii Sports as it has been 10years since we got a freebie out of the gate tossed in. And really why are you bitching? As the guy above said Wii Sports only requires 1 pad+nunchuk to play any of the Wii Sports games as it can be handed off to 3 others...many games on Wii can do this.

megabug7

Forum Relic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vampire Hunter D said:
I think you're singling out Nintendo and whining about something that honestly they're being more fair on than any of the three have been in the last 2 generations. Nintendo was the last to give a pack-in option, and they were the first to bring it back too with Wii Sports. Perhaps they're hosing you on the controller parts, and then again maybe not so much. Do you personally know what it costs them to assemble, pack, ship, pay licensing fees on various parts, etc to the penny? I don't, and I'm positive unless you're on the inside neither do you. Yes it seems a bit when a Wii controller is $30 and the nunchuk is another $20, but it's not like Nintendo is the sole party guilty in jacking people.

What about the 360 and even the xbox? Did they give you anything really from the get go? No...just a pad. How about Sony with any of their 3 systems? Not at first no...going into launch there was a choice of a $600 PS3 with Motostorm but it wasn't day one and was to help weather that nasty blow to the pocket. I think you're just whining for the sake of it really. Yes I understand that in the past Nintendo could pack in 2 pads and a zapper with a game(that may have up to 3 games on it), perhaps a ROB, or a Power Pad...and then into the GB you had Tetris, and the SNES had 1 to a 5in1 game pack (SMAS+World), and then Sega did have their built in game on the SMS and a freebie with the Genny too. So? Nintendo wasn't the one to end the trend...that can be laid down on a certain CD system around 1995~ from one of the competition and it forced the others to nickel and dime to be competitive, and it has been that crap ever since outside of Mario Tennis with the Vboy which tanked.

If anything Nintendo should get some praise, even if it's just moderate due to the 2 part controller pricing because they tossed in Wii Sports as it has been 10years since we got a freebie out of the gate tossed in. And really why are you bitching? As the guy above said Wii Sports only requires 1 pad+nunchuk to play any of the Wii Sports games as it can be handed off to 3 others...many games on Wii can do this.

Bitching? Whining? No stating an opinion about Nintendo (not bothered about the others)
Come back when you can post without slagging me off, and also get your facts straight -- £ are not $.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Fission said:
Bitching? Whining? No stating an opinion about Nintendo (not bothered about the others)
Come back when you can post without slagging me off, and also get your facts straight -- £ are not $.

I'm ridiculously confused about your last sentence. You say he shouldn't claiming £ = $, but then you say stuff like £120 bucks, which isn't correct terminology at all (hell, even £120 pounds is a redundant statement).

QUOTE(Fission @ Jun 26 2008, 08:59 PM) On top of the £179.00 price tag and you have stereotypical family of 4 as seen in ads. Wiimotes at £30 each.
That's an extra £120 bucks. plus 4 nunchuks at £10 each - if they have Mario Kart - 3 extra wheels at 10 each.

Anyway...

I know what you mean about Nintendo not shipping 2 wii remotes and 2 nunchuks, I agree with this. Yes, they should also do a Wiimote and Nunchuk for £40 (the extra shipping + VAT on the nunchuk would probably be nullified as the package wouldn't be much bigger or heavier, but it's now only one item as opposed to 2). However, they're not really ripping you off on the nunchuk, as it does have the acceleromter into it, and it's half the size of the Wii Remote, which is probably why it's around half the price. I don't really see it as being ripped off at all. Yes, it's expensive, but IMO it's a justified expense.

As for the rest, no need to complain at all.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You needed slagging off for picking on Nintendo and not the others so why don't you shove it until you can form a logical and fair argument? Also as Teej pointed out, you got no clue how to correctly speak of your own funds calling 120 pounds a 120 bucks(dollars.) Hypocrite.

If you really want to get into being nasty about stuff I'll be happy to derail this into PAL region whining about how those in that region get so horribly gouged on prices trying to use USA costs as an excuse totally ignoring obvious stuff like our dollar being worth a lot less, our min wage vs yours being comical, and so on if you really want to go there.

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to point out one thing about the DS.

There is a fuse built into the DS that blows extremely easy, and they charge you $70 to fix it. You do not even need the fuse as you can just put a blob of solder on top of it and bypass it all together. I have not heard of this from the PSP.

I do not own a PSP BTW only a DS but I half wish I had a PSP instead. Also I do not have a Wii, PS3, Xbox360 because it is all a big rip-off.

Think about this, you could not have any game for any console with ought a PC, you could not even have a console. Also a puter' can use A-N-Y game controller, beat that.

PS: Not trolling, I just think consoles are scams.

Also mac sucks.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
epicelite said:
Think about this, you could not have any game for any console with ought a PC, you could not even have a console. Also a puter' can use A-N-Y game controller, beat that.

Also mac sucks.
What?

epicelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
myuusmeow said:
epicelite said:

Also mac sucks.
What?

Consoles are scams, it is just a way to prevent pirating. Think about it all it is today with the newer ones is a dumbed down computer, they have internet and play music and bla bla bla. Just buy a computer with that $250-$600 and feel free to use a 300GB HDD for $80, why do you want to pay for $120 for a XBOX 360 20GB HDD? It is a TOTAL RIPOFF. If you open a 360 or PS3 hard drive you can even see it is a Seagate or something that is no different from a normal one so why do you pay so much for it?

Maybe if it was a 20GB Solid State Drive...
wub.gif

In conclusion, when you buy a console they are just un-upgradeable computers that you pay a premium for just to play 1 or 2 "exclusive" games.

On the other hand, portable consoles like the DS and PSP are good because you can take them with you but...
http://openpandora.org/
Pandora will be better.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why would Nintendo want to package 2 wii remotes and two Nunchucks in the first place ?
There are plenty of people who do not need a nunchuck, let alone a second controller !
I for one play the wii by myself, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay for an extra remote that I wouldn't use.
It would be like eb games forcing me to buy those absurd bundles of DS + game + magnifier or extra battery or what's so ever.
*If* people need an extra controller they can buy it, or your friends can bring their own, but don't force me to buy more than I need.
I think Nintendo does the right thing on this matter.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^I'm in the same boat here. I can barely get my wife to touch it, fiance back then. She did Wii Sports for a few months or so but then got busy with wedding prep, work, etc. Personally if I had paid $250 still and got the parts great, but had it been $275-300 I'd have been mad as it would have been wasted.

I'd love to see them make a new 'pack-in' for the holidays with Super Mario Galaxy shoved in. It would be so amazing seeing a Mario pack-in again after all these years as the last was the virtual boy with Mario Tennis and SNES w/World before that.

epicelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would never add a pack-in because they do not need to, people WILL buy the Wii and game separatly and they will be happy because they actually found a Wii.

PS: I think the shortages are created by Nintendon't on purpose.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Eh? Wow you're dumb on both points.

1) Wii Sports is a pack-in as is already, so even though they don't need to, they do, even though they know say in Japan for example Wii Sports would sell through anyway.

2) You also I imagine think 9/11 was a Gov't conspiracy, JFK was offed by Castro or the CIA, and that Hitler, Kennedy, and Elvis are still alive in an Argentinian secret bunker too right?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
epicelite said:
I just think consoles are scams.

scams huh? i would have thought it was the other way around, a pc gamer has to spend £1000's just to keep their hardware up to date where with a console you just buy the game and play it, you don't have to worry about system specs or things like that.

also the latest gaming pc could be out of date within a month in some cases as the gaming hardware is changing all the time.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The OP is right about nintendo. Sony's PS3 not only comes with a motion sensing controller but they also include a USB to charge it with, by simply plugging it into the PS3's USB port.

Nintendo, you need to either buy batteries repeatedly, buy a seperate charger station, or buy rechargeable batteries all on top of buying the wiimotes seperate from the nunchuks. I remember N64 didn't even come with a game in the U.S. Not even Mario 64.

edit: Not to mention they then have the nerve to make some Virtual Console games (which are way overpriced, too...$5 for urban champion?!?) incompatible with the wiimote and nunchuk you have to buy yet another controller(classic) or have a GC controller laying around.

epicelite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
epicelite said:
I just think consoles are scams.

scams huh? i would have thought it was the other way around, a pc gamer has to spend £1000's just to keep their hardware up to date where with a console you just buy the game and play it, you don't have to worry about system specs or things like that.

also the latest gaming pc could be out of date within a month in some cases as the gaming hardware is changing all the time.

GTFO I bought my puter' for 1000 a 2 years ago and it plays EVERYTHING!

ALSO NOTE:

The monitor is included in that it is a LCD and was around 300. Consoles do not include monitors or a T.V. most people have them already tho.

Well their is the Vectorex.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: 112TB in this photo 😎😎