Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I've got a bit of a problem.

I think something in my console's hardware is messed up. I plug my ethernet cable into the back of the console and try to connect to Live, but my console just will not recognize that the cable is plugged in. I've restarted my modem, router, and console, all to no effect. I talked to Xbox Support and they said I can either buy a wireless adapter, send my console in for repairs (of course my warranty is up), or just flat out buy a new console. Now seeing as how all three of those options cost money, I would much rather do something DIY and warranty-voiding (if I still had a warranty to void, that is). Do any of you brilliant people know a way around my dilemna? I am totally willing to rip my console apart and perform amateur electronic surgery on it.

I'm actually a bit desperate here, Borderlands 2 is coming in about a month and I am wholly unwilling to jeopardize my shootin' and lootin'. So if you have even a vague, half-a$$ed notion of what to do, PLEASE get at me!

Thanks in advance!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If your ethernet port is fucked then get a wireless adapter.

Simple solution.

Your LAN port is intergrated with a USB port so soldering in a new LAN port would be tricky.
Unless you can get a broken Xenon board and solder it off

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hold on, it can be possible your ethernet cable is broken try using another one.
if not, try refreshing your console, like restore factory defaults.
if you used wireless adapter, you need one connected to the router, to the wall, and one from xbox to wall.
Your adapter shouldn't be plugged on A power bar cause less power.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if you used wireless adapter, you need one connected to the router, to the wall, and one from xbox to wall.

A wireless adapter for 360 doesn't use the LAN interface.
It's a USB powered peripheral.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said check the cable- they are not the best made things in the universe (especially the stock 360 ones) and the cause of many network problems.

After that if it is hardware it not likely to be the physical port itself* and more likely to be the electronics inside it (been any thunderstorms around you lately?) which you do not want to try sorting unless you otherwise know how the electronics of a network port work or feel like redoing the lot which is not fun.

*it could be dirty so maybe try some contact cleaner but I usually find it is the cables that are dirty if anything like this happens at all and would be cured by replacing the cable.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A wireless adapter for 360 doesn't use the LAN interface.
It's a USB powered peripheral.
Oh oops, I'm used to using LAN Interface lol.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually we have had a ton of thunderstorms lately.
But the last one was last thursday, right? Have you played online since then?

wafflebeard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
It isn't the ethernet cable, I switched it to my laptop and I got a perfectly good connection.

Hold on, it can be possible your ethernet cable is broken try using another one.
if not, try refreshing your console, like restore factory defaults.
If I reset it to factory defaults, that will erase all my saved files and stuff like that? I'll have to back all that up first, yeah?
Actually we have had a ton of thunderstorms lately.
But the last one was last thursday, right? Have you played online since then?
Not since last Halo night, I've been torrenting a lot and playing Warriors Orochi 3 offline haha.

All of this may be moot anyhow, one of my friends has a spare wireless adapter so hopefully that will solve my problems. Thanks everyone!

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I reset it to factory defaults, that will erase all my saved files and stuff like that? I'll have to back all that up first, yeah?
I do not think it will erase the files on the HDD. In fact you can remove the HDD before restoring factory defaults. It would save you tons of time.

wafflebeard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I do not think it will erase the files on the HDD. In fact you can remove the HDD before restoring factory defaults. It would save you tons of time.
Cool, I'll try that if the wireless adapter doesn't work. Thanks.

wafflebeard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: The wireless adapter my buddy sent me works like a charm. I have XBox Live again and have resumed the fragging of all known n00bs. Thanks everyone!

case-closed-stamp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: