Considering getting an Amazon Fire Tablet

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saiyan Lusitano, May 8, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    So seeing that it's on offer (like it usually is, like a lot) I've been thinking about getting one but can I root it easily with the one-click KingRoot?

I'd just like to use it to browse the web, YouTube videos and watch live (Spanish) channels without ads (AdAway). And from what I read if I purchase a HDMI adapter then it should connect to a TV without problems.

2. SANIC

SANIC GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Get the Fire HD 8 it's cheap right now too

3. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    isn't it just a bigger screen basically?

4. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Think Galaxy S5->S6

5. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Works great. Got one for me son lately . He's happy. But why you wanna root it? What for?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Nvidia Shield Tablet? :ninja:

StarTrekVoyager likes this.
  7. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Think jailbreak for android

8. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    What??? That's what I thought... What you wanna root it for??? A jailbreak is something for IOS Devices... But it's an Amazon Device... That comes with its own amazon fire OS... You probably want to install Google Play on it am I right?

Last edited by konsolenumbau.expert, May 8, 2017
  9. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    No, you can just side load Google Play. Rooting lets you do other things such as flashing a custom rom

konsolenumbau.expert likes this.
  10. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Oh alright.. Wasn't aware that there are other roms for fire as well.. I'll have to have a look

11. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    fwi, you know that the fire os is a forked version of android basically, right?

12. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I beg you to reconsider. Tablets are big, slow phones without that ability to call people.

13. SANIC

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    He's asking for a tablet that is cheap, is well known for its build quality and excellent performance for its price. He probably already has a phone and just wants a big screen

14. konsolenumbau.expert

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    For sure. So what? I didn't know there are custom roms for the fire? Not such a shame.... Nobody can know everything if so of cause there's a reason to root it. I just didn't know

DeoNaught likes this.
  15. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Unless you get a model with a SIM card slot

16. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The 6-inch one is occasionally sold for $33. They're really cheap and, frankly, disposable little devices.

To add to this, most developers don't develop properly for tablet devices. Most game apps just stretch across the screen. Sometimes you'll get apps which will require the need of a camera, but then you have tablets like the 2012 Nexus 7 which only have a camera on the back, not the front.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting an android tablet in general. Just get a phone. Not only are phones of higher resolution and have more powerful hardware, but the apps are directed at them.

The manufacturer-unlocked LG G4s are really cheap right now and they're an extremely powerful phone for the prize and size.

17. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    I am not sure that I would recommend the LG G4 due to the infamous bootloop issues that is affecting many models.

As for ths thread, I am a tablet addict. Haha
    I own both a Samsung Tab A 9.7 with S-Pen, Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen and an Ipad Pro.

I will be frankly honest. Get a tablet, only for its stylus and if you plan do something with it, like taking notes and drawing.
    If it is for media concumption, get a cheap one.

Other than business and artistic reasons, it is actually hard to recommend a tablet.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by gamefan5, May 9, 2017
  18. Dionicio3
    This message by Dionicio3 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 9, 2017, Reason: think before you post.
    May 9, 2017
  19. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    [/QUOTE]
    Never heard of those. Must be a minor issue. I bought an LG G4 for my mom. The thing's a beast. Always great to have more than 2GB of RAM on this thirsty smartphone OS.

Honestly, Chrome is the heaviest memory-hungry app out there. Doesn't help that websites have shitty ads, like GBATemp here, with bloody VIDEOS on mobile of all things. I swear I spend more time loading ads on websites than the actual website content these days. If adblock didn't fuck up my logins I would use it all the time for sure.

20. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Never heard of those. Must be a minor issue. I bought an LG G4 for my mom. The thing's a beast. Always great to have more than 2GB of RAM on this thirsty smartphone OS.

Honestly, Chrome is the heaviest memory-hungry app out there. Doesn't help that websites have shitty ads, like GBATemp here, with bloody VIDEOS on mobile of all things. I swear I spend more time loading ads on websites than the actual website content these days. If adblock didn't fuck up my logins I would use it all the time for sure.[/QUOTE]
    I own a LG G4 myself. It is great for real, but just in case it dies of bootloop, I have a Galaxy Note 4 as a backup which will replace it. :)

Haha I so understand you about the ads.

21. Lukerz

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    Jailbreak that sucker. Amazon's appstore is laughable.