Considering EZ flash V

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Seeker108, Apr 25, 2007.

Apr 25, 2007

Considering EZ flash V by Seeker108 at 4:41 AM (2,306 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Seeker108
    OP

Member Seeker108 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I am thinking about selling my g6 lite and purchasing a ez flash V with expansion soon and i was hoping someone can help me with a few questions i have.

1. I have some gba saves, and i was wondering if i can just transfer them over to the EZ flash expansion with the gba game?

2. If i get a 1gb Kingston micro sd will i encounter any slowdowns with any game in particular?

3. Are all games still compatible with EZ flash V?

4. Also, there have been reports of people corrupting their saves. Has the reason been narrowed down yet? Is it simply user error or is this a random problem with the ez flash V? (If so what is the best way to prevent this from happening?)

2. nileyg

Member nileyg GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1) Depends on the save type (3-in-1 takes .sav)
    2)Depends on whether it is made in Japan or not, Japan works pretty damn well...
    3) As far as I know, Yes...
    4) I had a problem with that once, but i am assuming it was because i had the wrong save type, because I haven't had any problems since I changed it... But I really have no idea...

3. scrawl

Member scrawl GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    1) I've been using GBA saves from EZ-Flash IV on the triple-pack with no problems

2) The Kingston 1GB with serial number "SD-C01G JAPAN" is the MicroSD card you want. It's a rebadged Toshiba card and is also available from PNY among others.

3) Haven't had a compatibility issue yet. You will however need to keep your ezsave.lst file up to date (essentially a database that is stored on the MicroSD card which contains game names and their relevant save types). Thankfully a regularly updated list is maintained at http://nds.cmamod.com/ez5/EZ5savelist.htm

4) The save corruption issue was fixed in firmware 1.36, about 3 revisions ago. You can however corrupt a save file by manually messing around with the save settings.

4. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    At worst you might have to import your GBA saves into an emulator and export as battery file.

im not so sure what the save file corruption is about. Some people seem to have different problems with it some of them run their microSD card at a speed to fast i think.

As for the latest kernel havent seen complaints yet (1.40)

5. squall3031

Member squall3031 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi guys,
    I also have a question for ez-flash card.
    I already own supercard mini SD, M3 DS simply and Mk4-key. I plan on getting Ez-flash just mainly for GBA games only. My question is, should I get Ez-flash 4 or Ez-flash 5? I don't know the difference between the two in term of GBA games compatibility, but I just want to play GBA games on it as I already have M3 DS simply for NDS games.

Currently, I'm leaning toward Ez-flash 4 because i wanted to get the mini SD version (I save money as I can use Mini SD from supercard). If Ez-flash 4 is good enough for playing GBA games with high compatibility, then i would just go for it.

So what do you think ?

One more think that I want to ask. Do I really need to do extra patching to Super robot taisen OG and OG2 in order to play it on Ezflash 4?

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Super robot taisen 1 and 2 play fine for me (they are some of my favourite games), the only time extra patching will be needed is for pokemon RTC and all the other games that need patching for other carts due to onboard features (boktai, warioware, the yoshi movement sensor game....)

The EZ4 has a 128mbit RAM section which it uses for roms unless they are bigger than that in which case you write the to the NOR section (it takes a few minutes but once they are there they are there until you delete them). The EZ4 deluxe (lite sized and microSD only) however has a 256 mbit RAM section which allows all GBA games to be played from it and a 384 mbit NOR section if you wanted it.

The EZ5's 3 in1 is much like the EZ1/2 in that it is only NOR memory that is used. For most purposes it mimics a real game (you can use it to spoof a DS cart (be it real or flash cart) into thinking an original rom is there (the EZ4 line save the EZ4 compact also have such options when playing DS from it).

Compatibility wise they both use the same patching which aside from the classic nes/famicom advance (which you probably will use an emu for) and a few DBZ titles (patches exist) as well as the stuff you are looking at near flawless play. As seperate memory is used you do not have to splash out on an all singing all dancing memory card either (get a reasonable one still though).

7. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    ez3 would be the best for what you want. it has an internal clock, and save states i think.

8. squall3031

Australia
    Okay, i don't understand about the 128 Mbit RAM. Does that mean that I can write games into EZ-flash 4 RAM which its size is up to 16 MB, correct? If the GBA games are more than 16 MB, that means i'll be loading it from Mini SD card. Is that right?

I guess i'll be fine if that's the case. The games that I want to play are Super robot wars, castlevania, summon night 1 and 2, and Riviera and yggdrasil union. But i'm still considering whether or not to buy EZ4 deluxe since i have NDS lite and old chunky NDS. I want to be able to play the old one as soon as the NDS lite battery drains out. I mean...playing gba games, of course.

EDIT: EZ-flash 4 does not have save states????

9. Seeker108
    OP

Canada
    Alright, thanks a lot guys. Looks like i will be ordering the EZ flash V soon, i ordered a microsd off this site http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1458. Mother 3 is the main reason i still want gba support and i look forward to playing it in the future when the patch gets released. If i have any other questions i will be sure to ask, thanks again.

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    No gba code ever loads directly from the memory card (some homebrew may read/write to it but that is all).
    The EZ4 has 128Mbit (16mbytes) of PSRAM that is typically used to play GBA. If it is bigger than that then the rom has to be written to the NOR.
    I have riviera, Super robot wars and summon night (all) on my cart as we speak and I know castlevania works. Yggdrasil I have not played but would be not worry about that. The only problem you may encounter is the fact the US version of riviera and yggdrasil are both 256 so you would have to endure a wait if you wanted to quickly flip between games.

With regard to using a deluxe in an old DS I have been using the EZ4 lite for ages now in my original DS/gba and whatever else.

And yeah no save states at this time unfortunately (odd as the EZ3 which the EZ4 is a tweak upon does).

11. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    EZ4 Deluxe has increased RAM (32Mb) and NOR (48Mb). So, you don't need to write big roms to NOR now. And you can use the increased NOR for homebrew for example.

12. squall3031

Australia
  13. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
  14. squall3031

Australia
    okay, well yeah, i made up my mind. I'll be getting the EZ4 miniSD instead. I don't mind having to wait a bit to flip between games. And, yes, it's too bad that there's no save stats. But oh well, it's not so bad.

15. Seeker108
    OP

Canada
    Hi, i have another questions regarding this product(Haven't ordered yet since i'm holding out for the white one). It seems you have to download new save lists everytime a new game comes out correct?

So i was wondering if its annoying to have to wait for a new save list everytime a new game comes out, or is there a way around this? Also, will save lists always be a part of this ez flash V product or will they eventually find a way around it through a firmware update or something?

16. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    You can maintain the list yourself actually. There is a list converter (EZ Saver) available that converts the save list so that it can be edited in just about any spreadsheet... And back again, obviously. It's possible to edit it w/o the converter but it's quite a bit more cumbersome that way, IMO. The fact of the matter is that there are always "problem" ROM's that end up requiring all the cart makers to release patches/updates/kernals/etc. before they'll work and you are going to have to wait for those. I personally like the fact that I can potentially fix a "broken" ROM by tinkering w/ the save list w/o having to wait for my flash cart maker to get around to it.

If you don't want to do it yourself, your options are to wait till some one does it for you (usually doesn't take that long) and uploads it to Sosuke's (or elsewhere) or to change the save type manually from the boot menu every time you play games that aren't in your save list.

Will the save list be going away in the future? Only the EZFlash team knows. The list affords certain advantages, but has proven unpopular w/ people who don't understand said advantages.

17. Seeker108
    OP

Canada
    I understand what you mean by problem roms etc.. but this save list feature seems to be needed for every new rom that comes out. I suppose, it isn't too much of a hassle, finding ways around it with this ez saver you speak of but how do you know exactly what to edit the save list to? Also, what are these advantages you speak of since i can't think of any?

18. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    It has been a while since I first pulled apart the list and this rumble buisness changed the game slightly but it is a hex string with each game having 20bytes containing the first 16 bytes of the game (a name, some padding and a 4 character serial: look at any DS rom under a hex editor to see) the 17th save type and 18th rumble feature (on or off)

This is the thread you want:
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=3414&start=0

There original was a user setting but it is disabled for these last few releases as writing the info caused hassle.
    As for advantages DS roms do not have save type listed in the header (you can make an educated guess based on past releases and common sense: rpgs use big saves however tetris with a scoreboard uses small,
    the fact the Japanese release of pokemon uses 4M means the US one likely does too.....) so I guess this circumvents the need for autodetction.

19. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    The save list does indeed need to be updated for every new release... The EZ5 actually emulates the saver type and size in it's hardware rather than patching the ROM image to use some other method (like almost every other slot 1 flash cart), meaning the EZ5 is pretty much the only cart actually running clean ROMs. The save lists exists so that the EZ5 can recognize ROM's and program the FPGA w/ the appropriate saver type/size, w/o the list the EZ5 wouldn't know what type/size each ROM had. Also, since the introduction of the 3-in-1, the save list also tells the EZ5 whether the ROM supports rumble or not. Every new release means a new entry in the save list.

As Fast6191 pointed out, the save type isn't stored in ROM images for DS software the way it was in GBA software, so auto-detecting a saver's type and size isn't as easy as it used to be. One of the methods to get around this is to always have the saver size set to something large and save off the actual save data and any left over garbage in the extra space. Raw saves, for example, are always 512KB for 4Mbit saves and 256KB for everything else despite the fact that that a 4Kbit saver is only 512 bytes. The saver size always defaults to 256KB so every time a ROM requiring a 512 KB saver is released it causes problems and requires an update to clients, firmware, etc so that the new "special case" ROM is recognized and treated appropriately.

Save list = actual clean ROM's, saves not wasting space on your SD by being larger then they need to be, possibility to fix save issues w/o waiting for updates

As far as editing the save list it's pretty simple. Using EZSaver to import the save list into a spreadsheet produces a sheet w/ 4 columns and a row for each ROM. The columns are Internal Name, Serial, Save Type and Rumble.

Click this.. I would have used GBATemp, but they don't include the internal name in the ROM info. Anyway, notice the ROM info area on that page? It's all the info you need to create an entry (barring rumble). Internal name is just as it's listed, in this case CARDFIGHTERS. For the serial you actually only want the 4 characters in the middle set, in this case AVSE. Save type is is exactly as stated, in this case EEPROM 64kbit. Unfortunately none of the release lists I know of state whether games support rumble or not, so you'll have to find out some other way. Or, just set it the rumble column to false unless you know the title supports rumble and you'll be fine. So your entry would look like this:

CARDFIGHTERS | AVSE | eeprom_64kb | false

20. scrawl

Member scrawl GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    There is also the unofficial EZ-Flash V savelist, currently maintained by overachiever Cory1492.

http://nds.cmamod.com/ez5/EZ5savelist.htm

It's regularly updated and somewhat more accurate than the official save list.