Considering buying a hard drive...

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by hvsep, Oct 4, 2009.

Oct 4, 2009
  1. hvsep
    OP

Member hvsep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi, so Im really sick of wasting money and time burning stuff on DVD's, and then worrying about if it gets scratched or not, and all this other stuff. So then I remembered USBLoader GX... >: )

The problem is, I deleted the ISO's of the games I burned onto DVD-R's. Is there any way to transfer those games to the hard drive?

2. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    simply do a "Create Image From Disk" in Imgburn(its free) and then transfer the image to the HDD using a WBFS Manager, its the fastest way unless you sit thru the LONG proccess of copying the DVDr's from the Wii's drive to HDD as it can only read backup disks at 3x compared to max drive speed with originals

3. Dharmaboy

Newcomer Dharmaboy Advanced Member

Canada
    Actually putting the DVD's to the HD through USB Loader GX is not too bad. I did a few recently and it was not that painful. Nothing like the quickness of WBFS manager but...

4. hvsep
    OP

United States
    Woah, I didn't know imgburn could do that. XD

Well I found a 500 GB drive for not too much, but I think that's way too much space for Wii games. Is there any way to partition a external HD? I heard it wasn't possible.

5. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Just connect the hard drive and start a partitioning tool
    Partition Magic for example (not free)
    Or GParted (free). You'll have to burn that to a bootable disc and then boot your computer from it

6. hvsep
    OP

United States
    K I'm having a little bit of problems.

There was a guide in tj cool's sticky for partitioning, and I was following that guide. I got up until the part to go to disk management. When I right click the unallocated part, the only options that come up are "New Simple Volume" and "Properties." Nothing about a new partition or anything. Did I do anything wrong?

I'm running vista if it matters, and in the guide, the guy is running XP.

Edit: According to this (http://www.alohatechsupport.net/webdesignmaui/computer-tips-optimization/create_a_partition_with_window.html), it makes it a logical partition... How do I make that primary? XD

7. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    I used the free program called Compuapps Swissknife to set up three 500gb drives now, and it works great. For each partition you create, there are "tick" boxes to select options like primary, active, etc. There might be better programs, but this one was easy for me to figure out.

8. hvsep
    OP

United States
    Tried installing that, the installer won't run for some weird reason.

I already have unallocated space on the hard drive thanks to EASEUS, but I can't figure out how to turn it into a primary partition (if it even needs to be) since Vista's disk management thing < XP's.

Nevermind, apparently the simple volume thing makes primary partitions. XD

9. Skizzo

Banned Skizzo Banned

United States
    Why go through the trouble of creating an image when you can simply put the burnt backup into your PC DVD drive and copy it directly over to the WBFS? I did the majority of my games this way before I stopped burning them and they all work flawlessly and it's certainly a lot faster.

10. hvsep
    OP

United States
    Would that really work? o.o I'll test it with Wii Sports

11. goku1980

Member goku1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    wbfs is faster on some sames after img burn but the wii is striaght to hard drive

little side note for anyone with old comcast box(dvr)but those have a 160g seagate sata hard drive in them.im not saying crack open you dvr, but if you got an old one its worth it. you will need a adapter though

12. Skizzo

Banned Skizzo Banned

United States
    Would what work? What I said I did with the majority of my games (all the ones I had on DVD's before I stopped burning them)? No...of course not. [​IMG]

YES, it works. I did it a while back and used this app http://uploaded.to/file/4okic9 but there are probably better ones around now. IF you do decide to use that one, be careful of the InitWBFS button as it will erase your WBFS drive.