Hacking Cons of DS Lite?

m_babble

Elder Phantom
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to have a few complaints about the DS Lites.
Is it really worth owning over a normal DS?
I know what the advantages of a DS Lite are, but what are the disatvantages?

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
the only complaint I have about the DSlite is GBA carts sticking out 8mm or whatever it is, but that barely bothers me at all, i got used to carts sticking out back on the GBA this is nothing

REL1203

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best Upgrade ever... The screne alone makes it worth it. THe GBA carts sticking out, and some people dont like the smaller start/select buttons, but other than that, its amazing..

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I don't have any cons with it at all. I currently have a M3 Mini SD and am quite happy with it. It's quite nice when I was used to the much bigger M3 CF which looks ridiculous in a Lite.
When the M3 GBA slot-cover-sized card (M3 Lite?) is released, I'll probably get one of those, I just hope it's not silver and matches my Navy Blue Beauty!

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
don't forget the start and select buttons i think they suck, compared to the old DS.. but i guess you get used to it
biggrin.gif

Tyson8earzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, a slight negative would be the small Start / select buttons.. they feel a tad flimsy, especially when i quickly have to pause a game so that i can find out what my 3 kids (ages 5 and twins of 4yrs old) are getting in to.. prolly up to NO good, thats what...

Other then that, the DSL to me is quite perfect! I dont care about the carts sticking out either.. to me its only a cosmetic minor thing. Im all about gameplay baby!

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the start and select buttons are a nice sizew, but in a crappy position. other then that, the gba cart sticking out doesnt bother me unless i have it in a case.

blurrysarah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Love my DS lite, but I also like nitpicking:

- D-pad on the small side, odd feeling response.
- Start/Select too small, too hard feeling.
- As mentioned above, screen brightness switch would be helpful.
- Dislike power button slider, prefer button or clicking switch.
- Volume slider: Mine flops(?) around, in and out, instead of being seated firmly in the indentation.

I'm really picking at straws there, the DS lite is still 100x better than its predecessor.

Kagaden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cons
-I have a stuck red pixel that's only viewable on dark backgrounds... RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF TEH SCREEN noOOo
cry.gif

-Fingerprints and oil sticks to it like mad, although not very viewable on white.
-GBA cart sticks out, making it a little odd to put in cases without taking the cart out.
-Reduced battery life with the brightness turned all the way up.
-The volume (and sound quality?) sound dimishished to some... one of the first things my girlfriend complained about too though it's really minor.
-The power button is a slider and feels kinda silly compared to the ODS.

Pros
-The touch screen seems more "firm" and durable... making it harder to scratch.
Everything else 100 fold. This is the sexiest handheld system I've ever seen. I'd have made the purchase again in a heartbeat given the chance.

Z

Zress

going to have to agree with Mad Boy, the lite is ugly.

and I must tack on that I feel that shrinking things that don't need to be shrunk is stupid. it's as if someone's trying to compensate for something by making other things smaller *sweat*

Tyson8earzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will Ninty keep making the original DS or is this DS-lite a permanent replacement for the original? I mean, those that have issues (too small, ugly, ect ect comments) with the lite can just buy the original, that way everyone can be happy.

Personally, I'll take the ds-lite and its very minor quirks over the original DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out