OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,
I'm first going to explain, how my internet is set-up in my house.
No, I'm going to use my superawesome photoshop skilzz for it.

dc4e0x.png

Okay, the orange livebox should speak for itself.
Dell computer under the livebox too.
Left of the blue stripes is downstairs, in the livingroom, right, is upstairs, in my room.
There, everything should speak for itself too. (No, my computer is not THAT old, but I couldn't find a proper image for it:P).

So, now you see what I want.
That's internet to all the computers/laptop/PocketPC.
The only problem is, that the second router (the one in my room), doesn't "give" internet.
When I use the cable from the livebox, directly to my laptop or my computer, I have internet.
But when I plug it in the router, and connect 2 other cables to the laptop and the computer, it doesn't give me internet.
I can even use my laptop's wireless skillzzzz to connect it to the router, but still, no internet.
I tried making connections manually in the controlpanel, and it IS connected, as a LAN, but just not to the internet.
So, could anyone help me getting internet?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Did the orange box and the router come with a CD for installation? if so use it.

I have a friend with an orange livebox, doesn't that make wireless all by itself?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Antoligy said:
Did the orange box and the router come with a CD for installation? if so use it.

I have a friend with an orange livebox, doesn't that make wireless all by itself?
It did came with a CD, but I kinda lost it...
And, it gives wireless all by itself, if you pay 5€ extra each month (or 2,50 or something...)

I'm going to to a firmware update to the router, so the settings will be reset-ted. (got this router from a friend).

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As I understand it, you only don't get a internet connection if you're connected to the WLAN AP/Router. This seems simple enough, the device doesn't know what it should do. Configure it to use your orange box as a gateway and you should get internet access. Better yet, you might be able to configure it to act as a switch with WLAN AP, and not as a router (you don't really need routing there).

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Strider said:
As I understand it, you only don't get a internet connection if you're connected to the WLAN AP/Router. This seems simple enough, the device doesn't know what it should do. Configure it to use your orange box as a gateway and you should get internet access. Better yet, you might be able to configure it to act as a switch with WLAN AP, and not as a router (you don't really need routing there).
Okay, I made it in the configuration screen of the router (by doing resets, and firmware updates and stuff).
And I configured it, so that it connects to the internet through my orange livebox.
It tested the connection, and it said it was okay.
But when I try to acces the internet, well, I can't.

Could you explain me how to make it act as a switch?

EDIT:
The first time I did the wizard of the router, I said that no password and username were needed (because, when my computer connect it directly to the livebox, it doesn't ask me for anything.)
Now, I went searching for the login data somewhere in my house, and I found it.
So I told the wizard, that is was a PPPOE, and a username and password are needed.
I gave it my username and password, and now it's testing the connection (the router itself).
The results are:

CODEStarting test.
Contacting remote
server..........................................................................
................................................................................

And it doesn't stop with giving me those dots.
What now?

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You got it backwards.

Your WLAN Router does not contact your ISP. NO pppoe here! Direct IP, propably DHCP, as you yourself are the 'isp' (your orange box propably hands out DHCP?). No user/password.

Try that.

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
That was the thing I tried before.
Test results:
Code:
Starting test.
Contacting remote server.
Server response OK.
Test succesful. Internet acces is now available.

But still, I can't connect to the internet...
EDIT:
Oh, when I go to the connections in my control panel, it says, that I'm connected to the internet.
It looks like this:
Internet-gateway
[ icon ] Internet-connection
Connected
Internet-connection

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me see if I have this straight. You have a computer and a modem downstairs, upstairs you have a router and other devices.

How is the upstairs router connected to the modem downstairs is it wired directly to the router? Not familiar with European modems, but does the Orange Livebox come with WiFi?

If it's wired directly between the modem and the router make sure to check to see if there are any conflicting IP addresses. For example, if the modem is using the 192.168.1.1 IP then the router must be something different like 192.168.1.2.

If you're trying to connect the modem to the router wirelessly, the router needs to be configured to be a wireless client bridge.

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jiggah said:
Let me see if I have this straight. You have a computer and a modem downstairs, upstairs you have a router and other devices.

How is the upstairs router connected to the modem downstairs is it wired directly to the router? Not familiar with European modems, but does the Orange Livebox come with WiFi?

If it's wired directly between the modem and the router make sure to check to see if there are any conflicting IP addresses. For example, if the modem is using the 192.168.1.1 IP then the router must be something different like 192.168.1.2.

If you're trying to connect the modem to the router wirelessly, the router needs to be configured to be a wireless client bridge.
Thanks! That has to be it!
I'm to tired to try it now though...
And, now it has no wireless, and yes, it's connected to the livebox directly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night