Connection of Real Cart to Backup

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by WildWon, May 23, 2008.

May 23, 2008
  1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Hey guys,

The other night, The Wife®, a friend and myself tried to get some group VS play going on with the minigames on NSMB. Wife and Myself have backups and friend had a cart. When i tried to set up play, Friend couldn't see my started games or vice versa. Wife and I grabbed our two carts of NSMB and it all worked fine (so it wasn't anything wrong with the DSes (DSii?)). So i'm wondering, is there a way to patch them? (I'm on a CycloDS, and i don't know if there's a "patch wifi" option available on it or not... as well, Wife has a SC DS-One, and i didn't even try the wifi patching there... so i don't know if that'd work or not... i'm more wondering about the Cyclo.)

As well, another note, is the play affected the same way for Mario Kart DS? Wife and I have backups which we play together quite regularly, but Friend just went to pick up a DS today, and is snagging MKDS... and i'm wondering if we can all play together... or if we need to wait for his DSTT to show up next week before thats an option.

Thanks for the input, and i'm sorry if this has been mentioned all over the place here, i did a quick once over and didn't see it... so if i'm an ass and didn't see it..... [​IMG]

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Some games need to be the same region.

3. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Hmm. I really thought i had the US region of the backups. No biggie. I'll double check that.

Can anyone confirm that NSMB backup & real cart play works at all?

4. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I can. I just played with a friend the other day. So it should work (for the SCDS anyway). And I'm sure MKDS will work. But if it doesn't just post back and I'll see if I can help somehow.

5. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Ok guys, last night i tried it out with Wife, Friend and Myself once again. I loaded NSMB backups onto my Cyclo and her SC-DS1. Friend used the Original Cart. Wife loaded hers, patched download play, and when she tried to start a group, Original Cart couldn't see her group, but i could (with backup). Then Original Cart made a group, and neither of us could see it. Then *I* started a group (backup) and Wife could see it (with backup) but original cart couldn't see it.

Any other thoughts?

(Friend has a DSTT showing up today or tomorrow... so we can have it worked out.... but for my own sanity, i'm just wondering what i'm doing wrong! [​IMG])

6. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This is actually REALLY interesting to me, considering I've never had a problem before. My cousin used to have tons of carts, and I linked to hers w/ my R4 and had no problems. I've done the same with my M3 Real, so it really makes little to no sense in my opinion.

7. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea, same here. Me and my friends have never had this problem. Has this problem happened with any other games of yours?

8. WildWon
    OP

United States
    NSMB is the only game we all have the carts for as well as backups. I can take a look at what we all have and test it with other games... if i have other multiplayer REAL carts floating around. I'll let everyone know. (it *could* be a bad dump of NSMB for all i know. I might rip it myself tonight as a rom and see what happens [​IMG])

9. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't have an NSMB cart to try with, but I've tested it with MKDS, Brain Puzzle Pack, Diddy Kong Racing, and a few others. :S

10. DarkSzero

Newcomer DarkSzero Advanced Member

Brazil
    My friend has the japanese version of MKDS, cart. I played with him just fine, using a backup from the USA version.

11. WildWon
    OP

United States
    SOLUTION:

Well, i have no idea why. Maybe a bad dump that i d-loaded a while ago. Maybe a different region that wasn't listed on the torrent where i got the rom (almost a year ago, give or take), but for some reason, it just did not work. Sooooo... i ripped the rom myself (THANK YOU EZ 3-in-1!!!) and it works fine! I tested it before Friend came over on Wifes DS with REAL cart in mine, backup in hers and vice versa, along with starting a group with hers/finding the group with mine and the other way as well... AND IT WORKS!

So, i don't know the exact reason, but it works! [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it! [​IMG]