Hardware Connecting Wii to PC or PC monitor (VGA/HDMI)

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why the hell are you even asking for a diagram? There's only three cables coming out from the Wii, and according to you the signal is compatible. Just strip the wires so the metal is exposed then touch them one at a time to the vga wires until something happens.

You keep asking for how to do this instead of figuring it out on your own. That is what concerns us. Hell, I gave you a link to a vga pin guide that clearly shows that the only theoretical candidates would be pins 1, 2, and 3, (red, green, blue) but that's not helpful unless you have something to send to pins 13 and 14. You can use a voltmeter to identify which wire connects to which pin.
337px-DE15_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

So you want instructions? here you go.

Step 1: Strip the ends of the wires on both cables.
Step 2: use a volt meter to identify the wires for pins 1, 2, and 3.
Step 3: connect the component wires to the vga wires
Step 4: IT DONT WORK

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1184

This can explain it better than I can. This is just an example and isn't true or accurate at all cause I don't know the actual numbers but... Basically composite throws a line on the screen every, let's say 10 milliseconds. Well VGA throws a line on the screen every 16 milliseconds. So you're outputting composite at 10 milliseconds but your display wants 16 milliseconds. While you will, in fact, get a picture; it's not going to be the picture you desire. Like I said, this isn't accurate but just an example why it doesn't work. Now the Wii wasn't designed to output with the timing of VGA so it will never work. Unless you convert the signal to match the timing of your monitor. There is more to it than that but this should give you a little idea.
I see...
Thank you for the link.

Anyway, while i was searching on vga pins diagram and composite/component/scart pins diagram, on VGA has V sync and H sync on pins 13 and 14... is that what tells monitor
It's not really the timing that's the issue. (Some monitors can handle 480i over VGA; most can't.) The issue is that VGA expects all the signals to be on separate wires. (Red, Green, Blue, HSync, VSync; some monitors do support CSync or Sync On Green, but that's besides the point.) Composite video is basically a monochrome video signal (like the Y signal on component), with the color added using a specially-encoded subcarrier. This was done as a cheap way to add color to TV signals without breaking compatibility with black&white TVs.

You can't simply connect a composite video line to VGA input and expect it to work. Best case is you'd get a monochrome signal with interference; worst case is you'll get nothing.

I got a Hyperkin Wii/PS3 to VGA cable a while back and it works fairly well. It takes the component video output (YPbPr) from the Wii, runs it through a transcoder chip, and outputs a VGA signal. This particular cable doesn't do upscaling, so if your monitor doesn't support 480i, you'll need to use 480p. (Unfortunately there's a few Wii and GCN games that don't support progressive scan without hacks.)
so basicly in composite cable everything is mixed into one wire... colors, luma, sync...

also that was informative and interesting. thank you

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why the hell are you even asking for a diagram? There's only three cables coming out from the Wii, and according to you the signal is compatible. Just strip the wires so the metal is exposed then touch them one at a time to the vga wires until something happens.

You keep asking for how to do this instead of figuring it out on your own. That is what concerns us. Hell, I gave you a link to a vga pin guide that clearly shows that the only theoretical candidates would be pins 1, 2, and 3, (red, green, blue) but that's not helpful unless you have something to send to pins 13 and 14. You can use a voltmeter to identify which wire connects to which pin.

thank you

Last edited by Metoroid0,

ned

Trophies
XP
Country

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/112244/scart-to-vga-adapter-green-picture
http://dorotheacarney.com/picsnda/scart-to-vga

This is why I said to butcher a rgb-scart cable as it has all the pins for
rf, composite, s-video, rgb, component.

SCART_Connector_Pinout_Color.svg

Pin 1
Audio output (right)
Pin 2
Audio input (right)
Pin 3
Audio output (left/mono)
Pin 4
Audio ground (pins 1, 2, 3 & 6 ground)
Pin 5
RGB Blue ground (pin 7 ground)
Pin 6
Audio input (left/mono)
Pin 7
RGB Blue up
S-Video C down
Component PB up
Pin 8

Status & Aspect Ratio up

• 0–2 V → off
  • +5–8 V → on/16:9
  • +9.5–12 V → on/4:3
Pin 9
RGB Green ground (pin 11 ground)
Pin 10
Clock / Data 2
Control bus (AV.link)
Pin 11
RGB Green up
Component Y up
Pin 12
Reserved / Data 1
Pin 13
RGB Red ground (pin 15 ground)
Pin 14
Usually Data signal ground (pins 8, 10 & 12 ground)
Pin 15
RGB Red up
S-Video C up
Component PR up
Pin 16
Blanking signal up
RGB-selection voltage up

• 0–0.4 V → composite
  • 1–3 V → RGB
Pin 17
Composite video ground (pin 19 & 20 ground)
Pin 18
Blanking signal ground (pin 16 ground)
Pin 19
Composite video output
S-Video Y output
Pin 20
Composite video input
S-Video Y input
Pin 21
Shell/Chassis

---

VGA

Pin 1 RED Red video
Pin 2 GREEN Green video
Pin 3 BLUE Blue video
Pin 4 ID2/RES formerly Monitor ID bit 2, reserved since E-DDC
Pin 5 GND Ground (HSync)
Pin 6 RED_RTN Red return
Pin 7 GREEN_RTN Green return
Pin 8 BLUE_RTN Blue return
Pin 9 KEY/PWR formerly key, now +5V DC, powers EDID EEPROM chip on some monitors
Pin 10 GND Ground (VSync, DDC)
Pin 11 ID0/RES formerly Monitor ID bit 0, reserved since E-DDC
Pin 12 ID1/SDA formerly Monitor ID bit 1, data since DDC2
Pin 13 HSync Horizontal sync
Pin 14 VSync Vertical sync
Pin 15 ID3/SCL formerly Monitor ID bit 3, clock since DDC2

Last edited by ned,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that SCART to VGA will only work if:
  • The display supports composite sync (or in many cases, composite video as sync).
  • The display supports 480i/576i.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM