Connecting to internet via ad-hoc network

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by assassincy, May 19, 2008.

May 19, 2008
  1. assassincy
    OP

Newcomer assassincy Member

Australia
    So I am trying to connect to the internet via my laptop's wi-fi by setting up internet sharing, but i'm not having much luck. I'm not even sure if it can be done. It's just that I need to have this kind of set up because I access my internet via a USB "mobile broadband" device that i connect directly from my laptop.

I think my ad-hoc set up on my laptop is okay, as I am able to create an access point and I can connect/view the connection with another laptop and with my wii.

Only problem is, I am not sure why the internet part isn't working even though I have set up my active internet connection to be shared. I am pretty sure that my wii can connect to the network because i can detect, select and input the security key. It only fails on the internet connecction testing part.

Anyone got a step by step guide to get this to work?

Also, sorry if I am not making sense, coz i'm rather noob to this. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be clarified.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Sonic4Ever

Member Sonic4Ever GBAtemp Regular

France
    The DS wasn't compatible with Ad-Hoc, and I guess it's the same for the Wii.

3. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    Yah sonic4's right. All I can say is that you shouldnt get a router since ds and wii's are picky about which routers work or not, so get the wifi usb.

4. Koekje

Member Koekje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, i'm connecting exactly the same way (only a desktop, not a laptop), and i have shared my USB connection with my LANcard, which got a cable which leads to a wireless network. Works nicely.

5. iamaya2

Newcomer iamaya2 Newbie

Colombia
    I have the exact same problem as assassincy. I have a Sony Ericsson MD300 mobile broadband modem and I have Vista on my Laptop. I created the ad-hoc network and my wii detected it. The problem is that the network test fails [​IMG] I will really appreciate some help about it. I really need internet to change my firmware to 3.2u or at least a way to do it off-line.... [​IMG]

Thx in advance...