Gaming Connecting older generation consoles to a monitor

JohnnyDeformed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently bought myself a new monitor to replace my tube tv. I had a lot of game consoles hooked up to my old tube such as Dreamcast, ps2, wii, NES and gamecube, all of which were connected with a scart cable. The main reason I bought a montior was because of the xbox360. I was told there are ways to connect scart to monitor but it requires a series of middle parts.
Here is how my connection is as of now:
IMG20100908_001-1.jpg

I got a scart to VGA cable attached to the monitor and into that there is a female to female scart box (below)
IMG20100906_001-1.jpg

And into that I have the scart of the game console inserted (as shown on first pic). With this setup the monitor tells me that there is no cable attached so obviously it isn't picking up the signal from the console (tried both wii and ps2). I am not very good when it comes to monitors and I had a friend help me out with finding these obscure middle parts and he told me it would work.
Anybody know what I could do?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's inside that scart- vga cable? Changing composite signals to VGA requires genuine hardware (can't just reconnect some pins, it needs a real conversion) which could be incorporated into the cable but I doubt it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think what jonxs really meant to link up was something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadmei-TV-Video-Ga...9020&sr=8-2 (in general these devices in console circles are known as a "VGA box" if you want to do a search) although a tuner card would work just as well and allow you to record, upscale and fiddle with the picture should you so desire which is always nice.

Ignoring HDMI or DVI though (and perhaps the likes of the amiga) the xbox 360 is the only console out there with proper (although up until some more recent updates that was debatable) support for VGA.

The original xbox could kludge something together: http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_VGA_HOWTO but after this you are looking at hardware methods like those jonxs mentioned. Indeed your little VGA to scart (SCART is just a fancy wrapper for RCA most of the time) box thing is probably just something like the xbox thing I just linked- I would be very shocked if anything more than basic noise reduction circuitry was in that thing.

JohnnyDeformed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright thanks for all the responses
smile.gif
My monitor right now is not connected to a pc, it is simply a substitute for a TV since Monitors are so much cheaper. Currently I am getting great value for my money because my 360 (which I will be playing most) looks great on it with HDMI -> DVI connector.
I guess I will check out the tv tuner but it seems like a bit of a hassle. Worst case scenario I will simply keep my tube lying around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE