Connecting N64 motherboard to screen without AV cables

TotallyNotHondan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry if I'm asking about this in the wrong place, but I'm new here. Basically, I am trying to create a homebrew portable N64 console. I have checked out a few guides, but am using a video by Peter Knetter, titled "Building a Portable N64", as my main reference.

TLDR for the video, he uses a portable battery pack and the stock N64 cables, along with a portable screen, to fabricate this portable machine. This, however, does lead to the machine being rather bulky. I was wondering if there was any way to make the AV cables take up less space by cutting off the male ends on the N64 and the female ends on the portable screen (the one in the video had cables coming out of it with the connectors, rather than built into the screen) and taping them together after stripping the wires. Once again, I am very new to this, and my main wiring experience comes from cars, more specifically, wiring in car stereos and car speakers, where stripping the wires and taping them together is rather commonplace and works well. As well, if there was a way to make a direct connection between the battery and both the motherboard and the screen, that would be very helpful, as well. Unlike in the video, I am perfectly willing to do some soldering and messing around with other wires. Once again, sorry if I am asking in the wrong place on this website.

Thanks so much, y'all.

Last edited by TotallyNotHondan,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why not skip the lot?
https://pinouts.ru/Game/n64video_pinout.shtml
https://www.instructables.com/N64-RGB-Mod/

Haven't really got any good screen or battery combos there says, and there have been a few interesting screens (especially if you are willing to play with adapters) when I last went looking. That said if you install custom ones in cars then that is usually where I start.

Batteries wise then most just make things up with 18650s or whatever decent option they can get from the laptop, tablet or similar world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.