Connecting a Bootleg Poke Leaf Green to Heart Gold

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Kouen Hasuki, May 3, 2013.

1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Howdy!

I bought a bootleg copy of Pokemon Leaf Green (I Knew it was a bootleg) on ebay and for the most part it works well it was ripped from a USA version and as such the language is fine, I have been able to defeat the Elite Four without a game play issue which do plague some of the Pokemon bootlegs.

However,

I cannot for the life of me get it to connect to Heart Gold and for the same matter of fact cannot even Backup / Restore / Initialise the save data with GBATool.

Does anyone know of any patches that may help for the Heart Gold connection issues, I can import perfectly fine with my copy of Pokemon Emerald or Sapphire but not this bootleg.

I will ask about the GBATool side in another thread though since that is more GBA and this is for more the connection issue to Heart Gold

2. DunkrWunkah

DunkrWunkah GBAtemp's Official Dunkr

Nov 21, 2008
    United States
    The hardware is different from the original game hardware, so there might be a part missing the DS needs to communicate with. Or something.

3. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    I found in the end its due to the save chip in it not holding all the data and the rom has been altered to write it differently

Normally the save area would contain: Main Save, Backup Save & Hall of Fame
    This cart holds just the Main Save, it half complains about the save when loading and freezes the game and glitches the sound when saving and the hall of fame is corrupt after completing the game

4. earny

earny GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    France
    there is some limitations with the palpark : you have to use the same region games (ex: 1 copy of heartgold USA, and 1 Pokemon GBA game USA)
    you cant mix region.

5. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    aye thats not the issue mind you the fake was a usa version and the heart gold is too I think its to do with the oddness of how it saves

6. jumpman1229

jumpman1229 SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    Maryland
    I tried it once for shits and giggles and the came would just crash. My Diamond version did not like my bootleg Emerald one bit!

7. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm guessing the game has issues with reading the save like you said, and if you can't get the save file off the cart (and you probably can't for the same reason) I'm afraid you won't be able to transfer anything.

8. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Yea I already gave up on direct transfer though trading to a legit then trying to port may work but while I got plenty gba units I have no link cables so my options are getting limited down to buy a cable and go through a lot of effort trading or edit my data and mod in the Pokemon it seems

9. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Ah, IIRC, some people have said that using pal park to import on a bootleg game wipes the safe data.

10. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker

Aye, I have heard that too but it seems HG cant even tell its a pokemon game let alone read the save, hell even the DS GBATool couldnt :P