connecting 2 wireless routers?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by lafleche, Jul 10, 2008.

Jul 10, 2008

connecting 2 wireless routers? by lafleche at 2:01 PM (1,284 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. lafleche
    OP

Member lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Hi,

Having two wireless routers I am planning to make some kind of network with 1 router with WPA capabiliies (for laptop, WII etc) and 1 one with WEP for NDS.
    The WPA secured router has the connection with Internet.

Is there a nice website with faq's and examples to make this as safe as possible .... for example
    - a connection with the WEP secured router will be isolated from the rest (but still able to use the internet conection which is on the WPA router)
    - the WEP router not being able to connect my PC on the WPA router?
    - stuff like only limiting the WEP device with only connection to the NDS (eg will a fixed ip-adres help or not?

I don't know a lot of lan isolation, ip-filtering, ip-masks, port and ip forwarding, but am willing to dig deeper into that...just need some good startingpoints

2. Cheater388

Newcomer Cheater388 Advanced Member

United States
    The question is "why?". Why do you need to waste power when you can just have one router? Why do you need to get so complicated? Do you even have two routers?

I personally see no reason to this request because having mac filtering enabled on a router is just fine enough.

3. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    As I wrote : Yes I have two routers (please read!!)
    Reason (obvious) : Laptops, WII, Ipod are configured using WPA(2) (no reason in making it less secure).
    NDS only supports WEP. If I want to connect NDS I don't want to change router to WEP (and loosing laptop connections in the proces).... so 2nd router (leftover from previous provider) comes in handy....hence the question.

and NO: mac filtering and WEP is NOT enough for Laptops

4. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    In your routers options page, find something called Bridging.. you'll need to do this on both I think...

I have 2 wireless routers, but I have 2 ISPs, so each router has a different internet connection...

When you bridge a second router, it'll look like this ;

ISP\
    Router-\
    --|------------\----\-------\
    2edRouter Laptop Wii PS3
    --|--------\
    DS Anything else

5. silverspoon

Member silverspoon GBAtemp Fan

6. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks all
    I have it working in a very basic configuration (with only MAC address filtering as an extra 'protection').

'challenge' is still to seperate my WEP router from my WPA router so that IF someone hacks my WEP connection he can't access my devices on the WPA router.

Not a real big issue...for now I just power on the WEP router whenever someone needs it for the NDS..

7. vietknightx

Newcomer vietknightx Advanced Member

United States
    You do know that laptops support wep and wii does also, so by just changing the first router to WEP on the router's website you can keep your security and be able to go online with all three devices. So there wasn't really a point in having a 2nd one.

8. lafleche
    OP

Netherlands
    [​IMG] Please tell me that you ARE kidding? No way that I will 'protect' my laptops with WEP (with some MAC filtering).....

The overall consensus is that you should use WPA(2) for a 'safe' wireless connection....no more no less.
    [​IMG]