Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says N64 is Best on Twitch Stream

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by SG854, Mar 5, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, it’s awsome

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No, it’s horrible

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I’ts ok

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. SG854
    OP

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    I’m a month late but Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez went on a Donkey Kong 64 Twitch Stream and says N64 is the best console out of all consoles. Do you agree?

I personally am a fan. It’s not the greatest, but it’s an ok system with great games.

2. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    She said @8:34, "I never owned an N64, though I do think it's probably the best system out of all of them." and further makes clear she played SM64, Pokemon Snap, and/or a handful of other things at her cousin's place. So, yea, she's clearly not really a hardcore gamer. Nor does it sound like she really had enough experience to have a opinion really worth quoting.

With that out of the way, no the N64 is not the best console. There's a few consoles that are my favorites, but I'm not sure there really is a "best" console. I understand why someone may frame their favorite as "best", but that's probably based on much in the way of objective fact or analysis of any kind. So, yea, *shrug*.

3. SG854
    OP

SG854 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2017
    Taiwan
    It has some of my favorite games ever, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie.

There are great games like Star Fox 64, F-Zero, Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64.

The controller is ok. But overall I think it’s a good system. My favorite Nintendo System would probably be the Super Nintendo.

BL4Z3D247 likes this.
  4. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Personally, I like Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time. Never got into Banjo Kazooie (but liked Yooka-Laylee). Definitely liked Star Fox 64 and Mario Kart 64. The controller was pretty terrible, IMO. The frame rate in most games was also pretty terrible. I'd say the NES, SNES, and GBA were all better systems. The Gamecube had a vastly superior controller and it really was the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 generation where 3D wasn't so absolutely terrible*.

I admittedly have had a very Nintendo-heavy background, so it's hard for me to point at most non-Nintendo consoles and have a good frame of reference for them. Having said that, the original GB was pretty terrible for its screen. The Game Gear was terrible for the battery life. The XBox wasn't terrible, but it was way too FPS heavy. The PS3/Xbox 360 seem to me too PC and that's continued with modern consoles. The Wii has way too many useless motion control stuff, and the Wii U just doesn't have much of a library. The Neo Geo's games were horribly expensive.

Basically, there's a long list of weaknesses for most consoles. A lot of it can be overlooked because, of course, the focus is having enough fun games to play. It's still worth mentioning the many weaknesses many systems have precisely because part of being "best" is often at least in part "least worse". It's hard to put the N64 very high on my list precisely because decent 3D technology just wasn't ready--well, not for any reasonable price point.

* PS1 had horrible polygon warping, Saturn had questionable transparency support, and N64 had generally terrible frame rates in most games and really low quality textures. There was also the issue of terrible cameras in a lot of games, but that's more a symptom of 3D games being such a nascent thing. I will give Nintendo credit with their whole snapping to behind view camera controls, even if at best it's a hack.

5. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    It's usually easy to tell when someone grew up as to which is their "favorite" console. Snes or n64 for me, as those were the ones I had while going through that period of life. Sounds like she played n64 games at that point in her life.

I just took it as "the best system [for me] is the n64". Because that's how folks speak nowadays.

6. ArugulaZ

ArugulaZ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I support most of her policies, but her Nintendo 64 preference is certainly not one of them.

7. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    The first-party output was great, but everything else was kind of shoddy on the N64 IMO, the vast majority of cross-platform games tended to run and sound worse in a lot of ways compared to their PS1/PC counterparts, making the graphical trade-off (and even that could get a little iffy at times due to the system’s forced anti-aliasing and texture filtering being more of a curse than a blessing for certain games, resulting in some really awful PQ issues) not really worth it in the end.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I'd rather not have a good console associated with her, and I don't have to explain why.

9. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    In my opinion, there is actually a way to decide which is the "best" console. Simply imagine owning each console without any games for it! Do any particular consoles stand out as the best in this scenario? Obviously, the ones that have built-in games have an advantage here.

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    No, N64 is not the best console out of all consoles - it's not even the best Nintendo console.
    Nintendo's best systems (imo) are the SNES/SFC and the Gamecube. I'd rate the N64 similarly to the Wii, just in terms of the number of games worth playing on the system being outweighed by the amount of utter crap.
    It has some great games, but not enough to be held in the high esteem it seems to have gained.

Also... each of Sega's consoles are all better systems than the N64.

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Yes, and the Grandstand Video Sports Centre is better than either of them. Mainly because it had Kevin Keegan on the box.

12. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    [​IMG]

Yeah, this is very memorable at least.

Seriously, the controller of the N64 alone makes it not worthy of the "best" game console. And that experimental 3D graphics are not something you can look at in 10 years. Even now it's hard to look at.

13. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is wack. Of course she likes one of the worst consoles of all time lmao