Confused

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by CanadianCowbell, Feb 9, 2014.

1. CanadianCowbell
    OP

CanadianCowbell Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have a phat Jasper (I think that is the correct terminology) that I am interested in hacking (or having hacked). My issue is that I am not comfortable with soldering so I am looking at the xk3y but I am confused at to what I need to be able to do this (aka what the next step is). Either that or how do you find a trustworthy place to do it for you. Also is there a better option for someone who has no interest in having their xbox connected to xbox live?

2. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    If your not interested with being on Xbox live then a jag / right would be better for you and offers more that the xk3y can, it's the better option and cheaper for the installation than getting the xk3y. Custom dashboard, XBLA and 360 games can be run from HDD without the need of xbox live or discs being used. The installation is cheaper than the xk3y, you will have to find someone to do it for you if you cannot solder.......................sudeki300

CanadianCowbell likes this.
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    If you only want games then I'd go for the Xkey.
    If you also want Arcarde ones, DLC and Xbox 1 games.
    Then get it RGH'd.

Xkey wouldn't need soldering and with a bit of luck, can be done completely DIY.
    RGH would indeed need solderig and is best done by some local modshop.

RGH should be slightly cheaper then the Xkey costwise.

CanadianCowbell likes this.
  4. CanadianCowbell
    OP

CanadianCowbell Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thank you for the fast replies. Now I read the (wonderful) guide here but I am still confused on one part. What exactly is the difference between a RGH and a JTAG? The closest modshop I was able to find does the JTAG and the other ones that I was able to find seem to use the two interchangeably. When it comes to using a JTAG (or RGH) is it horribly complicated to use or is it like a jailbroken ipod or homebrewed wii in regards to usage? I know I am coming across as a complete idiot but I am fairly tech savvy but I am still in the research portion of deciding what method (if any) would be best for me.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    JTAG -- older, simpler method with the same capabilities (save for ability to go online with a stock dash) as the mod otherwise known as RGH. Parts wise can be done with a trip to an electronics shop. If your 360 has been updated past the August 11th 2009 dash (and possibly some stuff before that, 2.0.8498.0 in the version list is the one that blocks JTAG) then it is past the point of no return for JTAG. Sometimes also known as the SMC mod.

RGH-- newer mod that requires a chip to be bought in. Possibly more fiddly soldering. You can do a dual NAND mod on top of this and maintain a stock NAND image to go online with, I do not suggest this though. Will also vary between models of your motherboard and dashboard levels as to what versions of the mods, chips and wiring you need.

Together they represent the only ways to get past region locks, play games from the internal hard drive, GOD, XBLA and DLC you have not got through MS' preferred methods, lots of dash mods, homebrew and to allow any size hard drive to be installed. There is a very limited selection of DLC you can install outside this (which works even on a stock dash) in PIRS DLC, though the list is worth looking at as it includes a lot of game of the year type stuff, but there is no XBLA method right now all previous ones were blocked).
    Technically you can buy in a DVD emulator to allow you to run games from its USB but if you wanted to run USB games otherwise then you need RGH/JTAG, most would suggest you use the internal hard drive though.
    If you are just modding the DVD drive then you burn to dual layer discs, modern games will also need a special burner (should not be too hard to find but still annoying).

Satangel and CanadianCowbell like this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Bottom line is, if you want everything that your 360 has to offer and do not care about playing multiplayer games, then go for the JTAG/RGH/whatever those modshops call their service.