Hacking Confused on where to go with CFW above 4.55

tbb043

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on Rogero 4.55. I used to use Rebug, but they took forever to get a new CFW out and I needed to play some blurays that the Rebug I was on wouldn't run, so I switched to Rogero. My PS3 is a slim, if that matters.

Now I want to update, but it seems like there's a huge mess out there. Rebug has 4.65.1, but says it's buggy due to leaks and took it down (I still managed to find a copy, and the MD5 matches what they have, so all good) but I don't know if that's what I should use or not. I honestly don't know what's going on with Rogero, seems there are some higher than 4.55, but they're just leaks and maybe not safe? There's also Darknet 4.66, but I know nothing about Darknet at all, is that one good (and more importantly safe)?

I know nothing about Cobra, I know Rebug has it included (and it's supposedly the buggy part) but I've never used it before, don't know what I'd use it for, and don't know if I'd have a need to use it. Darknet I can find both with and without it.

Any advice/recommendation on what would be best to install? I'd planned on waiting for Rebug to fix theirs, as they said they were doing, but it's been so long, I'd really like to get something newer than 4.55 on so if I rent some blurays I don't wind up with it bitching at me about needing to update. If there's a CFW I haven't mentioned that's better than the ones I've mentioned, please, feel free to bring that up as well.

Sorry if this is a stupid topic, I'm just stumped on this and would rather risk a topic being stupid than doing something stupid to my PS3.

Reactions: Nightwish
D

Deleted User

They all work relatively well on my slim. There were very few games released so far that require 4.60 and higher - so that'd be the only reason I'd install any newer CFW (though you could just patch them down to 4.55).

Cobra is a wonderful package - allowing you to just use straight ISO's and emulate OFW. It's much easier pointing the CFW to your external drive with ISO's and loading them as a disc rather than fudge around with enabling BD-emulation, disc in drives, etc..

Long story short, cobra is discless. Using it plus Webman is great for loading all your games straight from the XMB.

What blu-rays are asking to update? Seems random considering 4.55 isn't that old.

Reactions: Nightwish

tbb043

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What blu-rays are asking to update? Seems random considering 4.55 isn't that old.

They haven't, as I haven't rented them yet. It just seems to happen every time I rent some movies after not renting any for a while, and I was hoping to be ready in case it happened again. It's quite frustrating to plan on watching a movie at a certain time only to find out you have to instead spend a lot of time futzing around trying to get new CFW before it works.

Thanks for the info, btw.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They all work relatively well on my slim. There were very few games released so far that require 4.60 and higher - so that'd be the only reason I'd install any newer CFW (though you could just patch them down to 4.55).

Cobra is a wonderful package - allowing you to just use straight ISO's and emulate OFW. It's much easier pointing the CFW to your external drive with ISO's and loading them as a disc rather than fudge around with enabling BD-emulation, disc in drives, etc..

Long story short, cobra is discless. Using it plus Webman is great for loading all your games straight from the XMB.

I am using 4.55 as well.

One question, i have been told that online play was possible, is that true? has there been any bans with cobra?

Plus, is cobra hardware related or only software?

Oh Rogero 4.55 is my firmware (at i think it is lol havent check in months)

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
There are bans if you are being stupid. Online safety isn't guaranteed, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself from being banned.
PSN patching plugins that utilize COBRA syscalls are considered safer than traditional methods.

COBRA has been software side since 3.41 iirc. They don't make the USB hardware any more and the source code has been open sourced.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.