Hacking Confused on if my card is fake....

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok,

I have an Ak2i. I carefully removed the front sticker, and have found the window with the Actel chip. I am REALLY hesitant to try and open the cartridge, especially since I have never opened a cartridge before and don't want to break my flashcart (since I use it and all).

All that having been said, when I try to put the 1.7.1 menu files on the card and boot it, I got a red screen warning me that my card may not be authentic, or real, or whatever it said. (I will try to do it again and take pictures, but not sure if it is worth my hassle.) Has anyone had this issue before? Is it possible to have the window/Actel chip combo and still be a fake? If not, why won't the menu load? Is is because I am using a DSi?

Thanks for any help,
RisnDevil

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered it in February from a website call RealHotStuff.com. I have no other real problem with the card, but now I obviously cannot upgrade to new(er) firmware(s) so as AP gets better/different, I may not be able to get around it.

Zurren

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The easiest way to check it, I believe, would be doing as the wiki says.
QUOTE said:
HWIDs

You can find out the HWID of your Acekard from within AKAIO by pressing (start) >> more >> help. You can also find out your HWID by using the firmware update tool, this will repeat the numbers twice. ie: HWID 80 in AKAIO will be reported as 8080 by the firmware update tool.

* What are the HWID's of the different Acekard builds?

1. AK2 Green PCB pre-FAT/FAT error - HWID 40
2. AK2 Green PCB *fixed* FAT error - HWID 41
3. AK2 Green PCB, windowed CPU, FAT fix and a 2.1 sticker - HWID 41
4. AK2.1 Light/Dark Green PCB - HWID 80
5. AK2.1 Black PCB - HWID 80
6. AK2.1 Blue PCB - HWID 80
7. AK2i Black PCB - HWID 44
8. AK2i Yellow/Black PCB - HWID 81
As in, if your HWID is not 44 or 81, it's probably a fake.

Then again, this might not help you if you can't even boot AKAIO up because of that screen... so maybe you could try using an older AKAIO version or the official firmware to check that. I think.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My HW ID thingy is 80. Also, I am currently booting on 1.5, but was successfully booting 1.7, just not 1.7.1.

So, at the moment, the only thing saying that it was not "real," was the red screen message I got with 1.7.1 saying as much.

Just trying to figure out what my carts problem is (and as a means to an ends whether or not it is legit).

RisnDevil

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm afraid in January to Feburary of this year it was well known that RealHotStuff were sending out fakes.

It's an Actel HWID:80 clone of the Acekard 2.1 which has been fudged to work on the DSi. Previously people have found that they would run AKAIO on the DS Lite, but not the DSi. I also know they were having issues with the yellow DMA mode of AKAIO 1.7.

It's definately 100% a fake cart.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
I'm afraid in January to Feburary of this year it was well known that RealHotStuff were sending out fakes.

It's an Actel HWID:80 clone of the Acekard 2.1 which has been fudged to work on the DSi. Previously people have found that they would run AKAIO on the DS Lite, but not the DSi. I also know they were having issues with the yellow DMA mode of AKAIO 1.7.

It's definately 100% a fake cart.

Not to doubt, but what exactly can I do to prove that it is fake? I know this one has worked on my DS Lite and DSi. The only thing it hasn't worked for is the "new" 1.7.1. Are there other "problems" I am looking to encounter, or what?

Thanks,
RisnDevil

P.S. - I did order two of them. Are chances high that they are both fake, or were there real ones being shipped then too?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want proof, try updating the firmware as in my Acekard guide.

You'll see:

IMG_3707.jpg

Except the HWID will be 8080 (AKAIO displays the HWID as 2 digits while the firmware update displays it as 4 digits: 80 = 8080, 81 = 8181 and 44 = 4444). They will not run the update as it's not a true Acekard, and doesn't have updateable memory.

If the other cart is genuine, you will see:

IMG_3122.JPG

You don't have to prove anything. RHS knew they were fake when they sent them to you. They were sending out clones, and then if anyone complained they replaced it with a genuine cart. You then had tons of people going on about how good RHS was for replacing them etc etc. If you want to know if you other cart is fake, just check the HWID.

realhotstuff said:
The Actel ones we got were with HWID of 80. They came with 1.4 updated. There is no need to update it. Most of them worked just fine only few of them had problem.

We heard the ones you can get from DealExtreme came with HWID of 8181. Some people claimed those were fake. But we do not know for sure unless Acekard comes out to clear those things out. However, I doubt Acekard will admit that they have internal issues.

If an Acekard 2i has a HWID of 80, then it's a fake. Those older genuine carts which have a window in the shell have a HWID of 44.

The DX 81's were not fake, they are the carts which RHS were selling before they sold the clones and the same carts they are selling now. It was very naughty of them to suggest such a thing when they knew full well it was false.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to humor myself, I am about to try and update it, but I am relatively certain I did this when I got the cart. For the record, your guide says once updated I will see the Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle icon; well guess what, that's what I have. I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get a full/final answer.

Edit: I got that screen, with one exception: there is an HW id/value (8080).

I assume this still/does mean that it's not legit? And will RHS send me (at least one) replacement cart(s) if I send mine in?

Thanks,
RisnDevil

RandomRedMage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have all your purchase information, then they SHOULD replace any fake carts they sent you. At least thats what they SHOULD do. >.>; since ya'know if they are sending out fake carts intentionally there is no garuntee that they wont just send you a new fake. XD

riverchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
If you want proof, try updating the firmware as in my Acekard guide.

You'll see:

IMG_3707.jpg

Except the HWID will be 8080 (AKAIO displays the HWID as 2 digits while the firmware update displays it as 4 digits: 80 = 8080, 81 = 8181 and 44 = 4444). They will not run the update as it's not a true Acekard, and doesn't have updateable memory.

If the other cart is genuine, you will see:

IMG_3122.JPG

You don't have to prove anything. RHS knew they were fake when they sent them to you. They were sending out clones, and then if anyone complained they replaced it with a genuine cart. You then had tons of people going on about how good RHS was for replacing them etc etc. If you want to know if you other cart is fake, just check the HWID.

realhotstuff said:
The Actel ones we got were with HWID of 80. They came with 1.4 updated. There is no need to update it. Most of them worked just fine only few of them had problem.

We heard the ones you can get from DealExtreme came with HWID of 8181. Some people claimed those were fake. But we do not know for sure unless Acekard comes out to clear those things out. However, I doubt Acekard will admit that they have internal issues.

If an Acekard 2i has a HWID of 80, then it's a fake. Those older genuine carts which have a window in the shell have a HWID of 44.

The DX 81's were not fake, they are the carts which RHS were selling before they sold the clones and the same carts they are selling now. It was very naughty of them to suggest such a thing when they knew full well it was false.

I got an AK clone (r4Ui), and i could update to 1.4, and it had hwid 8181. But i couldnt run akaio on it, so some clones can.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^^^

Don't piss me off.

Your case is completely different from the OP's. The OP has a fake cart which was sold as an Acekard.

The FAKE ACTEL HWID 80 CART'S CANNOT HAVE THEIR FIRMWARE UPDATED, THEY ARE NOT BASED ON THE ACEKARD 2I.

The R4i Ultra is based on the Acekard 2i hardware design, which is why it too has a 81 HWID. It's not a fake cart and it's not sold as an Acekard. I believe they use the cart design with permission from Acekard or are in some way or another have something to do with Acekard, Smiths has mentioned as much on these forums.

The R4i Ultra has it's own firmware update, and because it's based on the Acekard 2i has updatable flash memory.

When you brought the R4i Ultra, you knew what you were getting. Nowhere on the R4 Ultra site does it mention Acekard, AKAIO or being compatible with either. The OP however intented to actually buy an Acekard, and got caught out by RHS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.