Gaming Confused. Don't want to ruin anything.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, Both me and my dad have a (Pro) Xbox 360.

I used his prior to getting mine so my profile, saves ect. Are all on there. I currently don't have another HDD to swap over everything.

Can I just unplug the HDD on his and use it on mine? Will that mess up anything?

*None are flashed*
*His is on NXE, I am not*

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First pre nxe means it is homebrew capable, it appears not to bother you but that is another matter. If you swap drives your machine will most likely see an update making it so you can not do homebrew, it is not just "backups" but region free, game modding, any size hard drives and much more beyond that.

Yes you can swap drives, whatever you read in recent months about corruption and the like will probably be in relation to recent bans. For stock 360s it is not a problem although you might have to "recover" (a name only, no data loss involved) the profile.

If you are especially bored you might be able to transfer data via PC but if you are going to go that far you might as well take the extra step and mod it for homebrew.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had planned on flashing my Drive when I got the chance next month. What's the difference in the homebrew, would it allow me to do a lot more than just flashing?
I figured it would tell me to update, but without the required 128mb needed for NXE I won't be able to correct?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can use a version of the latest kernel (obviously without live) so as to play the latest games, also the kernel is small while the associated pictures/music/videos that make NXE are not. There are some versions of NXE that can also be hacked to use homebrew so it is not the line in the sand- the actual problem is the bootloader/CD that got updated with the August the 11th 2009 kernel update for everyone and the odd xbox made before than (few months before) and those that had seen a repair shop.

As for homebrew it allows unsigned code to be run, this includes unsigned loaders/kernels meaning:
On the kernel side:
region free- Not normally a problem but Europe and Japan do occasionally get the odd game ahead of the US in terms of street dates and leaking games is another matter entirely.
Any hard drive any size in 360- you can install games to it remember and people are already anticipating something looking towards XBMC.
XBLA games: they are a simple string swap from demos and readily available otherwise.

hacked games (translations, improvement hacks)- already we save seen a bit of halo 3 work appear.
Games from other media- USB, hard drives sans disc in drive.

System link without the ping problem is having some stuff looked into.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks. So if I took the Harddrive off of his and put it on my Xbox, I may have to recover the profile? Does that require being online? Also, Would that have to be done each time one of us wants to play?

Thanks

*Short story, Can I plug in his HDD with no issues and start playing like normal, Are we able to just pass it off back and forth without issues?
Thanks

driverzx

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you take the HDD, al your savefiles etc are on there. So swapping HDD doenst affect anything or messes things up. And why is your 360 not NXE? Just hook it up ont XBL, it looks way better.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
driverzx said:
If you take the HDD, al your savefiles etc are on there. So swapping HDD doenst affect anything or messes things up. And why is your 360 not NXE? Just hook it up ont XBL, it looks way better.

I'm gonna update it but it told me I need the required 128mb to install the update which, without the HDD or memory card I couldn't do.
Thakns for the help guys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou