Confused about WAD files

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tazz212, Oct 14, 2009.

Oct 14, 2009

Confused about WAD files by tazz212 at 8:48 PM (518 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. tazz212

Newcomer tazz212 Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Hello all,

Just something bugging me regarding WAD files.

I've got a number of WAD files on my SD Card that I want to install via a WAD Manager.

If I install these WADS to IOS249, they appear in my Wii Menu. Does that mean they have been installed to my Wii's internal memory?

If so, how many can I fit on the Wii's internal memory?
    Is there a way to boot the WAD files directly from an SD Card without being installed?

I hope my questions are clear.
  2. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

Jul 18, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Once they appear on the Menu they have been installed to the system menu.
    How many you can fit depends on how large that WAD is (Wii blocks); so to check how many blocks you have left, go to your saves screen page and look in the bottom right.
    To install on SD Card: Get onto firmware 4.0 or 4.1, copy the channel and everything to your SD Card and it'll run from the SD Card Menu.
  3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 16, 2009
    United States
    You don't install wad's TO IOS249, you USE IOS249 to install it. Once installed they take up space just like a normal VC game would. If you're on a 4.x system menu you can move the game to the sd card menu through the wii settings in data management, but you will need to have the trucha bug on the system menu IOS in order to play it from there.

Also it doesn't TECHNICALLY really play from the sd card that way. It's just more if you have a lot of them you can store them on there, but when you play one, it will temporarily store that on your Wii and then delete it when you play a different one.

Alternatively you can try using triiforce which should legitimately play them from the SD card.

Also, make sure you have either preloader or boot2 bootmii installed before installing those wad's in case you get banner bricked by one of them.