Confused about Luma and A9LH staying after apparent format

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AgentSkyblueM7, Feb 18, 2017.

1. AgentSkyblueM7
    OP

AgentSkyblueM7 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2013
    United States
    It's a long story, but someone hit the format option on the system settings, and I thought my N3DS was all back to factory settings. After installing it on my O3DS so I could restore a backup to there, I find out that my N3DS still had Luma and A9LH on there the whole time when I was able to get into Godmode9. What I'm trying to ask is: If my N3DS got formatted, how did A9LH not get erased? I feel like I dodged a bullet that I thought had already hit me. I just wanna know how this was possible.
    Hy-phen-a-tion

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Formatting a system with A9LH via system settings does not remove it, although updating in GW SysNAND would, restoring a NAND backup prior to installing A9LH would and also uninstalling it using SafeA9LHInstaller would.

3. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    A9LH is installed in the FIRMS. This is before the home menu even booting, so it can't be affected by formatting.

4. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Doesn't simply launching GW in 11.3 do this now?

5. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Not 100% on that personally, but I don't recall there is support for GW emuNAND on 11.3

6. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Not for a fact no. Some people said they can't use payloads after booting GW on 11.3 others said it was JUST the GW payload that didn't work but it didn't kill A9LH. I don't even see how it could honestly. It seems like it's just not working and people don't know how to troubleshoot or reverse it. Same thing with all those bricks where people forgot to put arm9loaderhax.bin on the root. With noobs a black screen is a brick.

So that could be true but so far I've only seen 2 people claim it happened and at least 4 that say it just won't boot.