Hacking Confused about backing up sd card for transfer to sd2vita

di4medollaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i got my card today and i read all the guides i could find and from what i read you cant install games on both SD card and Micro sd with SD2VITA
you have to choose. I am a bit confused.

1. if i use micro sd as my main memory for games and SD for additional data or vice versa what can i install on the non main memory one?

2. i plan on using my bigger sd2vita micro sd for my big game files so i wanna back up the games i have already installed and my saves. I used vita shell with usb but none of my games are there so i backed up what was there and plan on using FTP to back up the ux0 ur0 ect ect to my pc , is that the correct way to prepare to transfer everything from my SD vita card to my sd2vita microsd?

3. if above 2 is correct how do i put the files and games that were installed on my sd card to the sd2vita? do i just slide my backed up files from vita shell and backed up ux0 ur0 ect files from filezilla FTP that are on my pc to the root of my sd card in my sd card reader on my pc?

Reactions: nowhereman87

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
1. Technically, you can install games on both the Vita memory card and the SD2Vita, the only problem is to play the games you have to swap the mount points for uma0 (the "extra" storage) and ux0 (the main storage). Thankfully, there's a homebrew app for that which can seamlessly swap the mount points between the two without having to reboot. https://github.com/Applelo/SwitchSD2Vita/releases < So all you need to do is install that on your main memory card, install games and whatever you want, then swap to the SD2Vita with SwitchSD2Vita so that is mounted as ux0 and then install games on that.

2. The reason you can't see all files via USB is because of some Windows settings that hide important files by default. You'll need to both enable hidden folders, and then in Folder/File Explorer Options (depending on your version of Windows) you'll need to disable "Hide protected operating system files". This will let you see and backup all files on the memory card without having to use FTP.

3. You just transfer the files from the memory card to your PC, then transfer those files to your SD2Vita when you mount that as ux0.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

di4medollaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Technically, you can install games on both the Vita memory card and the SD2Vita, the only problem is to play the games you have to swap the mount points for uma0 (the "extra" storage) and ux0 (the main storage). Thankfully, there's a homebrew app for that which can seamlessly swap the mount points between the two without having to reboot. https://github.com/Applelo/SwitchSD2Vita/releases < So all you need to do is install that on your main memory card, install games and whatever you want, then swap to the SD2Vita with SwitchSD2Vita so that is mounted as ux0 and then install games on that.

2. The reason you can't see all files via USB is because of some Windows settings that hide important files by default. You'll need to both enable hidden folders, and then in Folder/File Explorer Options (depending on your version of Windows) you'll need to disable "Hide protected operating system files". This will let you see and backup all files on the memory card without having to use FTP.

3. You just transfer the files from the memory card to your PC, then transfer those files to your SD2Vita when you mount that as ux0.
omg sweet man thanks Tom Bombadildo !

I do wanna use both as game cards but i have a last question. I backed up my vita mem card but im gonna keep the vita files that are on the sony memory card as is. So my question is since im gonna switch mounting back and forth from sd2vita card to sony oem card what files do i put on the sd2vita micro sd to make it work? i obviously dont want the games from my sony oem on there so wich files do i slide over to make it comptaible?

also the sd2vita guide says this.
  1. If you haven't already, move your ux0:tai folder to ur0:tai and delete the ux0:tai
  2. Copy the SD2Vita drivers to ur0:tai
  3. Add the following to ur0:tai/config.txt
if im gonna keep both memory cards as my game cards do i do these steps different?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
At best the only thing you'll need on both cards is VitaShell and SwitchSD2Vita, purely for convenience. Whatever you want on the SD2Vita, you swap from the memory card to the SD2Vita. You won't need to keep any games or anything on both, just on one or the other.

Since you'll be swapping between the memory cards, you 100% absolutely must follow that step. ur0 is the Vita's own internal storage, putting tai there allows your Vita to load plugins without having to use a memory card, which is needed if you want to mount SD2Vita at boot. This also allows you to keep all your plugins in one place, so you don't have to add them to both the memory card and the SD card.

di4medollaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that confused me 1000x worse lol. I used vita shell usb option , i got no ur0 ux0 files showing ect ect. It shows up in ftp but not usb option and yes i have hidden files. Its just addcont_mai folder all the way down to vita shell folder

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The second point here really should be stickied, or be more visible if it is a part of Voxel's sticky (since I couldn't find it). I've seen you explain it a good few times and it's the thing I was struggling on in fully backing up my memory card via USB.

Thanks for sharing it anyway, super useful lol

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

You also have to have hidden folders/files marked as shown as well, since they're still counted as normal hidden folders. Gotta do both, which isn't noted in your tutorial.
Is it this one you're talking about?

upload_2017-11-9_16-3-47.png

Cuz this ends up affecting all other files and folders on my PC and isn't exclusive to just the memory card drive.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Is it this one you're talking about?

View attachment 105382

Cuz this ends up affecting all other files and folders on my PC and isn't exclusive to just the memory card drive.
Yes, that's it, and it's supposed to do that :P You can just enable/disable it on the fly in Windows Explorer, if you don't want those shown all the time.

xqqhCRf.png

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)